Restaurants and the Sleeve (just sharing)

Pkrplyr777
on 10/27/11 12:04 am - CT
I read these posts often and learn a lot from what people share so I thought I would share.

I eat out often. I eat out as often as I eat at home.

Lifestyle plays a large part.

I thought I would share my newly learned "after sleeve" experiences.

First, my sleeve rocks!

I can't eat more than 2/3 cup of anything and that is absolute max and depends on protein density and that might be an exaggeration because I use the deck of cards rule.  

I choose meat first and veggies for side. (that's side not sides)
I indulge in mashed potatoes if I had good protein intake for the day and little to no carbs but rarely eat more than a tablespoon because it just doesn't fit.

Lunch I order from the appetizer menu, usually shrimp or something equally protein or if I order from the main menu, I choose the lighter meals. Many restaurants put the calorie counts on the menu for these. I take the leftovers home and have them for dinner.

I do not order salad, soup bread etc. Why bother?

I usually have a glass of wine with my meal but have yet to finish one. Just a few sips because it's just the way I am. I get it while I'm waiting for the meal and just sip.

I eat in places like the Outback Steakhouse (love the small Ahi appetizer but really needed to work on eating it slowly) too much protein too fast does not feel good. I ask for wasabi paste and do not get the dips that come with it. Preference mostly but there's probably carbs in those dips right?

The 99, fit for you menu options (small steak with blue cheese and mushrooms/veggies on the side) This would feed me all day 400 calories and reheats well.

Mexican restaurants that have frajitas, I just eat the sizzling meat with sour cream then I'm full so everything else just stays. I don't take it home. Sometimes I'll munch on a chip or two but only if I know I've had enough protein for the day and have not had any carbs. I try to keep my carb intake to under 40 grams. Absolutely no margaritas! Those things are FULL of sugar. I just don't drink at Mexican restaurants.

If you ask, the cook will tell you the weight of the fish/meat before cooking at most restaurants so you can figure out the protein.

When I go out with friends I split meals with them. It fits their pocketbook and my stomach volume.

I don't eat past my sleeve signal (that will make a wonderful meal go sour real quick...lesson learned with the ahi)

I do not eat at places that promote volume over quality. If you can only eat a very small portion of something then shouldn't it be an "awesome" something?

I have not eaten at a really high end restaurant yet because I could not do it justice. I will save that for maintenance.

I do not think that leaving a half glass of good wine or half to 3/4 of a plate of good food is a bad thing. I don't pay for volume I pay for a good meal for ME. If I walk away content then I am happy.

I have adjusted my lifestyle to fit my sleeve. I am losing weight. I take my acid meds (if I forget...I get reminded very soon). I take my vitamins but am still looking for easier ways to get them down. I have found that I have an aversion to pills. I don't eat junk. I just don't. I rarely ever did before the sleeve. I do all of this and still eat at restaurants.

I hope this shared information is received in the spirit in which it was given.

Bon appetit
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
newme2011-2012
on 10/27/11 12:11 am
Thanks for the post.. Lots of good info for those of us yet to be sleeved!!

Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

2muchfluff
on 10/27/11 12:31 am
Thank you for sharing your experiences.   I eat out fairly often too, and I agree with the quality over quantity.  I want whatever goes in my mouth to be 'awesome' as well as high quality, or it doesn't go in there.  I have had a lot of success with getting the childs portion from a lot of menus even if they state for 10 and under.  I eat a lot of grilled chicken and sometimes grilled shrimp.
Our local Longhorn has an awesome grilled chicken breast with steamed brocolli, and Loco's has yummy roasted wings.  I order the drumstick portion only.  I can usually only have a bite or two of the veggie side as the protein fills me up.  I drink water all the way up until I take my first bite, then wait till 30 minutes after to drink again.
Lovin' my sleeve as well!!!

TexasProud
on 10/27/11 12:32 am - Frisco, TX
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that you can still enjoy what you like. I currently always split meals anyway, so that's a plus. Protein first, protein first. Thanks again and I wish you continuted success on your your journey.

BriarRose
on 10/27/11 1:01 am
My daughter and I love Outback to split a meal. She loves their prime rib, so we get a larger cut -- split (her 3/4 me 1/4) a salad and I eat my 2.5 oz of the beef and we are done ! A nice Dinner for just over $20 for both of us. My dd will eat the bread, and usually orders fries or some carby thing. Sometimes we even take leftovers home !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
George B.
on 10/27/11 1:04 am - Miami, FL
We are no longer member of the "clean your plate club".

I've found that a lot of what I order for dinner at a restaurant makes an excellent lunch the next day. Steak and sprimp are great the next day.

Spiritus
on 10/27/11 1:19 am - Hawthorne, CA
Thank you Donna for a beautiful description of your life post sleeve.  Your post gives hope to those sleevers who truly enjoy dining out .... there is life beyond protein shakes and Wendy's chili!!

luvliz80
on 10/27/11 1:29 am - CA
Wow...I love that! Thank You...I always wondered if I was going to be able to meet my friends for dinner sometimes soon but ready this gives me motivation to call them soon.
J.e.t.
on 10/27/11 1:37 am
 Really helpful, thank you!  It is SO hard to learn to be okay with leaving something on the plate or in the glass, isn't it?  Especially when it's something you really like.  I'm working on it!
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

RHCP
on 10/27/11 1:47 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
The melting pot meals are Bariatric PERFECT!!

I share the meal with a friend and we get the land and Sea trio -bite size pieces of shrimp, fish and fillet mignon. It's perfect amt of food-tastes amazing and don't feel like I wasted anything. And it's fun to cook it right at your table-the broth and vegetables are YUMMY!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views