POST NASAL DRIP AFTER SURGERY

BETHC500
on 11/9/11 12:42 am

For the last few days I have had the worst post nasal drip. I had surgery on Sat. and by monday and tuesday I started having coughing caused by post nasal drip.  I cant get sleep, as soon as i relax enough to sleep I get the tickle in the in the back of my throat and cough cough cough.... uhgggg.... I use to take loradadine (claritin) and musenex (guaifenesin). It is not working at all. I took loratadine and sudafed its not helping.  I need sleep and not to cough so much while I am trying to heal (ouch).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

46_11tobeme
on 11/9/11 12:58 am - NJ
Yup had it - probably b/c I have bad allergies in the fall. The mucus was (and still is) miserable. I have found that using prescription nosesprays (Patanase and Veramyst both for allergies) along with the occasional Afrin before bed to clear my sinuses helps. I believe USAF wife also suggested a neti pot in another post - have used before and helps too. Sudafed also helps me but it has to be the real stuff that you sign for at the pharmacy - not the stuff on the shelf. I have also found that trying different antihistamines can help too (claritin, zyrtec - there are many others). Might try switching to a different one. My PCP also said that when allergies are really bad I can take Zyrtec twice a day (in am and before bed) even though it is a once a day med. I dont do it often but when it is bad i do and it helps.

OK - sorry I wrote this long post and just assumed you have allergies! Hope you get some relief! 

BETHC500
on 11/9/11 1:29 am
yes i have allergies...    u helped alot thank u
slimpickins5280
on 11/9/11 1:55 am - CO
Simply Saline is your friend. Be sure to ask your Doc how soon you can start taking your allergy meds again.

My Allergist said the allgeries will get worse before they get better because they, like every other disgusting effed up thing, are stored in our fat stores.

Just a happy thought to leave you with.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

MS.LISA
on 11/9/11 8:25 am - Salem, OR
I am a year post and my nose runs all the time, its rather anoying!!!

twinsand1
on 11/9/11 10:33 am - SC
mine is always running down my throat and driving me crazy
Angela
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

BETHC500
on 11/9/11 1:22 pm
I spoke to my allergist and they said to use the netipot twice a day to cleanse out the irritants, blow gently, use the nasonex spray once a day right after netti-pot, and get some sudafed 12 or 24 hrs.... I started earlier today and so far so good... its helped
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views