Scared... I have no hunger at all

runfatgirlrun
on 12/2/11 6:18 am
Hi Everyone:

I guess the adage "be careful what you wish for" applies to me.

I love my sleeve so far.  I have lost 10lbs since my surgery last Thursday and I am starting to feel like myself again. 

My problem now is that I have absolutely zero appetite for fluids or anything to consume.  I am forcing myself to drink juices, smooth soups and fluids.  I just have no hunger at all and feel full.  I am not getting much protein in nor am I getting much of anything in.  I don't think I am dehydrated yet but I am concerned that my body will go into starvation mode and will counteract losing weight.  I also don't want to lose my hair.  Part of the issue with protein is that all the shakes are sweet and I am so tired of sweet drinks. Any ideas on savory protein items I can consume in liquid form?

Thanks all!

BETHC500
on 12/2/11 6:27 am
At first I had absolutely no hunger either. Your stomach is still swollen and there is not much room in there. I started drinking water with lemon flavor crystal light or water with a squeeze of fresh lemon in it. It helped cause it wasn't sweet.  Also I took protein ready made shakes and I added unflavored soy protein powder with a little almond milk (or regular milk) to cut the sweetness. Also I took packages of cream of chicken soup make the 8 oz cup and let it cool a bit then I mixed the plain soy protein mix with the chicken soup mix and a bit more water. I blended it so it would be smoother and then let it settle for a bit. It wasn't hot but it was a little savory and no sweetness. I liked it.  Good luck...

Ms Shell
on 12/2/11 6:55 am - Hawthorne, CA
At 4 years I STILL have literally almost NO physical hunger.  I love it MOST times and hate it others.

Unfortunately I DO have head hunger and I STILL have the urge to eat when I'm bored.

I focused on WATER and some electrolyte fluids because dehydration this early out usually can only be overcome by a trip to the ER and I hate needles and hospitals IF I can avoid them.

I buy LIndora products either online or at Rite-Aid and they have cream of chicken, mushroom, and tomato soups.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 7:31 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
You can get unflavored protein and put it in broths.

Just this about protein and hair loss - hair loss is NOT the biggest problem.  Your body eating your muscles to get protein to heal - that is a problem, because your HEART is a big ol, really important muscle. 

You are going to lose hair if you are, its a crap shoot, like being hungry, not being hungry, losing shoe sizes or not.

But - hair loss is not a huge deal.  Your heart having issues because your body is cannibalizing muscle tissue IS a big deal, my friend.

Take care of you!
angela dragoo
on 12/3/11 6:28 am - Fort Worth TX
I am almost 2 years out and I have the same problem.  I literally can go all day with little to no liquid as well as food if I am busy.  I really don't have hunger pains anymore.  I have to watch the clock to get enough calories in since I exercise so much.  This is a blessing and a curse at the same time. 
HW397/SW357/CW 26740# pre-op 130# total

Crystal M.
on 12/3/11 7:35 am - El Paso, TX
That's perfectly normal right after surgery. I was like that for 3-4 weeks, and I still have very little hunger. Just be sure to get enough liquids and protein.

Did you try several brands & flavors of protein shakes? I was very sensitive to sweets right after surgery too, but I kept trying different powders 'til I found something I could tolerate. Now I like them again.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views