Scared here... What have been your complications from surgery?

Jessica O.
on 12/3/11 5:32 am - Ann Arbor, MI
 My hemoglobin went low and I was in the hospital 3 nights longer than normal which was hardly a complication. I probably hadn't gotten in enough protein Pre-op.

lovetoread
on 12/3/11 5:50 am - East Amherst, NY
I haven't had any complications with my sleeve at all. I would suggest going to a Bariatric Center of Excellence - that should be reassuring! or check with your surgeon about what his or her complication rate is. Have you asked him that? It's most likely very low....
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

BethR311
on 12/3/11 6:10 am - Fort Wayne, IN
None. At all. I could drink chocolate Unjury protein drink in the hospital, 3 oz at a a time. No nausea ever, not in the hospital, not on my 3 hour car ride home. I took none of the pain or nausea meds I went home from the hospital with. I went back to my desk job and walking at the gym a week later. I have never vomited or had "foamies."

Not everyone is this lucky, I realize. But it can happen.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
J.Lo 74
on 12/3/11 6:30 am
I'm one of the rare people that did develop a complication 4 weeks out. I have a leak. I've been in and out of hospitals since Sept. Hopefully things will turn around soon and I'll feel normal again.  Leaks are rare but they do happen and do suck.  Do your research.
Talmani
on 12/3/11 7:28 am - Phoenixville, PA
I am only 4 days out and feel great! Except constipation! Which was horrible but I think could have been avoided with a preop bowel prep or enema. As bad as those sound it would have been much better than what I went thru today.
KathyA999
on 12/3/11 8:07 am
Well, the major result of my surgery has been weight loss of 110 lbs. - 130 from my highest weight.  I couldn't be happier.

I haven't had any complications at all - no vomiting, no foamies, no food intolerances, no changes in how things taste.  (Two times earlly out, I ate too fast and had pain, though - not something you want to do, but it seems everyone has to learn for themselves, and some of us twice, LOL!)

I do have GERD.  I had it before surgery, and in some people it improves, in some it gets worse, and in some cases it's the same as before, which seems to be what happened with me.  (Maybe a tad bit worse than before.)  I take Protonix twice a day.

I also developed a pretty bad case of constipation due to the protein-only diet, early on.  So bad that I went to the ER, but they sent me home with instructions to use various OTC products.  A couple glycerin bulbs resolved the issue, I hope that isn't TMI.  To avoid constipation, I recommend you develop a habit of taking fiber regularly.  After some experimentation about what works for me, these days I take Miralax every-other-day.

I know you want to hear the worst that could possibly happen, but if I were you I'd focus on the odds that it will be a successful, uncomplicated procedure - which are highly in your favor.  Thousands upon thousands do just fine, and so will you!   

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

doggz109
on 12/3/11 7:49 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
How soon after surgery could you start taking a fiber supplement like Benefiber?  Or what do you take for fiber?
laurahuff65
on 12/3/11 9:16 am
I've had NO complications! I'm 6 weeks out... BUT earlier post mentioned stomach twisting! That sounds scary! 
ruggie
on 12/3/11 11:39 am - Sacramento, CA
None!

Why the hell didn't I have surgery sooner?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

vacationlover
on 12/3/11 11:16 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 170 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 448 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 469 views