Scared here... What have been your complications from surgery?

krista A.
on 12/3/11 1:18 am - TN
I'm getting the sleeve done and have heard so many horror stories of gastric surgeries in general. My mother works at my local hospital and keeps rying to talk me out of it because she sees bariatric patients die very very often from the surgery. So let me have it. The truth, even if its not what I want to hear. Thanks so much in advance everyone, I really need your help.
Stephanie M.
on 12/3/11 1:23 am
None. Honestly. Easy recovery, no problems eating, losing well. I have no complaints at all.

Don't let her scare you. VSG is the safest surgery out there by far. You'll do great!

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

emelar
on 12/3/11 1:25 am - TX
You know there are risks with every surgery - even getting your tonsils out.

That said, I've had no complications.  Surgery was easy.  I was tired, but no significant pain, no gas, no leaks, no nausea, no vomiting.  Had some bouts of problems with bowel movement - both diarrhea and constipation.  But that's resolved itself and I don't supplement with anything anymore and I'm very regular.  I've had no food intolerances.  So, like I said, no complications.  Just can't eat as much a I could before surgery.

Your mom probably has horror stories from the malabsorptive surgeries, RNY and DS.  Your innards are re-routed with those and there can be vitamin deficiencies, strictures, hernias and malnutrition as a result.  But even these are the exception rather than the rule.

The lapband has all sorts of issues too and lots of followup.

With VSG, as long as you don't develop a leak immediately after surgery or you're not one of those folks that gets an abundance of scar tissue and needs dilation for a stricture, long term problems are rare.  Partial gastrectomies (which is what the VSG is) have been done for decades to treat cancer and ulcers.  It's relatively new as a weight loss surgery.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/11 1:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12
No surgery is risk free.... Stats on bariatric surgery mortality rates are out there and each doctor has his/ her own track record in terms of complications and/or mortality. No one will tell you its a pleasure party but neither is obesity and the sure deal that co morbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, joint problems etc are. These are not a risk, they are a sure bet. Sooner or later you will get one, two or more. You have to do tons of research and consult and decide if the risk is worth it to you. I think you reduce the risk a lot by choosing a good surgeon and follow up program. Good luck!!! Others who are further along will chime in I am sure. I am also just at the start of the journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 1:34 am
I had a complication free & easy recovery. I also have a feeling your mom is scared and is feeding you just a fair  bit of hyperbole, as the mortality rates for bariatric surgery are about on par with any other abdominal surgery (very, very low.)

Be well, do some real research- studies on risks and complications and mortality rates (from real medical journals, not scare sites..) and you will be able to reassure yourself, and possibly your mother if she is open minded enough to look at the hard facts/stats.. don't be surprised if she isn't. Some family/friends/people will throw every horror-story, made u*****t in your face if they are against you taking this step for your health.. It is not your responsibility to convince her, so just do this for you and let her worries slip away as you get healthier! Good luck!

Ms Shell
on 12/3/11 2:05 am - Hawthorne, CA
Since your mother is in the business sit down with her and ask WHAT she's seen and the CAUSATION of the death.  Also ask her about partial and full gastrectomies that have been done for over 50 years to deal with stomach cancer and ulcers and what she knows about THAT surgery.

Complications I have seen are leaks, stomach twisting, and several people have severe gerd/acid reflux.  I have never seen the posting about someone dying from the SLEEVE.  Now people can die if their bodies can't have surgery, but that's any surgery not just bariatric surgery.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

MyOwnSunshine
on 12/3/11 2:08 am
Zero.  Zilch.  Zippo.  Nada.

I was tolerating soft food and back to the gym before 3 weeks out.

I've felt better than ever since a week out of surgery.

I work in a hospital as well.  I have worked on a step-down/cardiac unit for most of my career.  I used to have that bias as well, because the ONLY weight loss surgeries I saw were the ones who had complications.  if your mother works in an ICU or step-down unit, she doesn't see the people who have surgery, go home a day later and never return to the hospital with complications.

Also, she is exaggerating.  WLS patients don't die "very often."  It is a rare occurence, even in the ICU.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
doggz109
on 12/3/11 7:46 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
That is a GREAT point.  The health care workers ONLY see the ones that have complications and come back.  So that would skew their opinion.  Makes a lot of sense.  Thank you for that perspective!
Valerie K.
on 12/3/11 2:21 am - Dearborn, MI
 The only 1 thing I have is when I swallow food I get spasm's but not very often. At first I did not know what they were till I talked to my doc. It does not hurt I just have to wait a second or two and the food will go down. I have lost my weight great can eat any thing I want. My last spasms was yesterday but the one before it was back in May. So went 6 months with out one I do not mind them now because I am able to live life normal now and feel great.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

OldMedic
on 12/3/11 2:32 am - Alvaton, KY
I had a HORRIBLE COMPLICATION!

My budget was totally busted, from having to purchase smaller and smaller clothing,  I finally got smart, and bought all of my "interim" clothing at thrift stores.

Other than that, absolutely NO complications at all.  I do take calcium citrate and vitamins, to prevent vitamin deficiencies, but I knew I would have to do that going in.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views