So many choices, can I have your opinion please?

imkristy1
on 12/4/11 2:30 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
I have completed all of my pre-op requirements and am now waiting on insurance approval.  (Leaning on the RYN)  I have been checking on OH for about 5 months now and am seeing alot of posts on the VSG.  I guess Im considered a lightweight because I only have 90lbs to lose.  I developed diabetes 2 years ago and have been on insulin for over a year now.  I also have hypertension, high cholesterol and high blood pressure and Im on medication for all of them.  Ive been overweight almost 20 years and the scale only seems to go in the wrong direction. 

OK, here is my question.  Because I know so little about the VSG, can you tell me why you believe one would be better for me than the other (RYN vs. VSG).  I have learned so much from the people on OH and I look forward to your responses.   

Kristy  5'5"  HW-224   SW-207    GW-140   Goal reached in 40 weeks!  PRE-OP - 17    MTH 1 - 15   MTH 2 - 13    MTH 3 - 12   MTH 4 8    MTH 5 -  5    MTH 6 - 4   MTH 7 - MTH 8 -MTH 9 - 0  MTH 10 - 0

tillmadd
on 12/4/11 2:37 am - WI
 I was a type 2 diabetic pre-surgery a1c 7.8 and taking 2000 mg of metformin & 2.5 glyberide, also on meds for cholestrol, after leaving the hospital I am OFF all meds and blood sugars are normal. 

I chose the VSG over RNY because issues with malabsorbtion and insulin production, I did not want DUMPING or my intestines rerouted, also maynvitamins and minerals are not absorbed for life after RNY so you will have to supplement for life. Also I know some people regain weight from RNY because the stretchy part of the stomach is not removed, but in VSG the stretchy part is removed. I just felt the sleeve is healthier and less complicated on my body.

Do your research first!!! 
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

kimbethin
on 12/4/11 2:41 am - CA
I went with the vsg because as a nurse I was really afraid of malabsorption issues that come with the other surgeries.  The vsg is a new procedure, but looks like it will soon be cosidered the "gold standard" for WLS.  I have thought about WLS since 1995, but the malabsorption and intestinal rerouting always put me off.  It seemed too big and invasive for me.  In Jan 2011 I went to a consult expecting to have the band. My surgeon told me about the sleeve and the more I looked into it, it seemed perfect for me.  Dumping is very rare and life seems more normal for sleeve patients.  They say weight loss is not as fast with a sleeve, but based on the antecdotal evidence I see on this board, I expect that those numbers will change.  It's a really individual choice, but I'm so happy with my sleeve!  I want to tell evryone how great it is!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
emelar
on 12/4/11 2:42 am - TX
This is a very personal decision.  I didn't want RNY or DS because I didn't like the idea or the possible complications from the intestinal rerouting - didn't want them fooling with my innards!  I believed that restriction alone would do the job for me, and so far, so good.

The sleeve is a partial gastrectomy, which has been done for decades to treat ulcers and stomach cancer.  It's only new as a stand alone weight loss procedure.  If you research partial gastrectomies, you'll find lots of info on after care and complications - and there aren't many.

I had diabetes 2 and hypertension.  Took my last dose of meds for diabetes the day before surgery.  Got off the blood pressure meds completely about 3 months out from surgery.  My A1C had been stable for the past 9 months at 4.9.  No prescriptions meds at all.
gonersmom
on 12/4/11 2:43 am
For me...cuz everyone has different opinions....I went with the VSG because I didn't like the malnutritional aspects of RNY. I didn't want my intestines rerouted, to me it seemed a bit extreme. I also didn't need/want the drastic effects of dumping because I ate something with sugar in it.

Mostly I chose VSG because I have 'dieted' for almost 30 years. I didn't want to have the diet mentality any more. I wanted the freedom to eat what I like (of course within moderation and with common sense), when I like to, but within reasonable amounts.

Hope that makes sense to you.
Best wishes in this journey.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
imkristy1
on 12/4/11 2:46 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
Thanks for your replies. I am really going to have to do more research on this because im really beginning to think VSG may be better for me. Did anyone had issues with this with having under 100lbs to lose?

Kristy  5'5"  HW-224   SW-207    GW-140   Goal reached in 40 weeks!  PRE-OP - 17    MTH 1 - 15   MTH 2 - 13    MTH 3 - 12   MTH 4 8    MTH 5 -  5    MTH 6 - 4   MTH 7 - MTH 8 -MTH 9 - 0  MTH 10 - 0

Texasteacher68
on 12/4/11 7:45 am - TX
 My surgery is scheduled for December 19. I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I have 50 pounds to lose, but I'm only 4'10. I've been diabetic for 8 years. This decision for me is totally about diabetes. I have lost family members too early in life because of this horrible disease. After spending the last few months on this message board, I'm more convinced than ever that I've made the right decision for me. I'm so tired of the criticism from folks who don't think I need WLS. I'm doing this for me because I am ready to take an active role in ensuring my health...good luck to you. 
imkristy1
on 12/4/11 9:14 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
Hi Texasteacher68 - thanks for your reply.  I have only told 4 people about my surgery and 3 of them said... you?  You dont need weight loss surgery.  Yes, it gets frustrating so I have decided to keep it to myself.. except my DH, he is very supportive and going to have WLS himself very soon after I do.  I want to get healthier and need to lose weight and make a life style change to accomplish that and I dont feel I can do it without the WLS.  Ive tried and failed.  :(  Like you said, Im doing this for me and that is what is most important.  I wish you well and I shouldnt be too far behind you! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 2:47 am, edited 12/4/11 2:50 am
VSG is so much more natural. your food comes in the same way and goes out the same way. You still have your same stomach (just a smaller version) and there is no rerouting of anything. There aren't any issues with vitamin deficiency as far as the intestines go because they aren't rerouted. You can still take NSAIDs and steroids in the future (who knows when you might need those), there are much less risks for complications, from what I've seen the people who have VSG look so much healthier after their weightloss, you are allowed to eat REGULAR food because your stomach is NORMAL (just smaller).

I was originally scheduled for an RNY and I refused and made my dr change it. I thought about it long and hard and there is no way that surgery is for me. I have a really high BMI and my dr says I will lose less weight with the VSG but I'd rather keep my insides as normal as possible, have less complications, keep my insides normal, absorb everything, etc. than to lose another 30 pounds.

Also, I know quite a few people who had RNY and they all ended up with multiple hospitalizations after surgery AND gained a lot of weight back afterwards. I hear multiple reasons for regain, but I don't like the stats on the regain for RNY.

Ultimately, you have to make the decisions that's right for you. In my heart of hearts, I know that this surgery is MY surgery.
FancyNancyOne
on 12/4/11 2:59 am - MA
I have alot of similarities as you. Same weight, same health issues. I am almost 2 weeks post op.
I actually wanted the RNY but my surgeon did not want to do it because I've had so many abdominal surgeries (7). Now I am so glad I had the sleeve. Recuperation is slow going but each day is better. Hope you make the right decision.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views