IMHO

Pkrplyr777
on 12/12/11 9:30 am - CT
I went to Mexico after researching for 3 weeks.

I went with my husband because of his health issues and he FINALLY agreed to WLS but the surgeon in our area and the insurance company wanted him to do a LOT of testing that we both knew he would not do. ALL the tests had been done within the last year. ALL of them. But the insurance wouldn't accept the results of those tests and the surgeon was on board with the insurance company. He was not open to self pay. He is the only surgeon in our area.

I did this because my husband said he would do this if I did it with him. My husband had a lot of co-morbidities.  I was obese too but had NO co-morbidities. I was not eligible for insurance anyway.

So we went to Mexico. Period. And I'm glad we did or my husband would be dead. Period. It's what I believe to be true. Period. And now my husband is doing well. He does not have to take a lot of meds anymore and I think he is actually learning to THINK about food intake.

I have no regrets. NONE.

However, I have learned a LOT! Here at this web site and in real life.

1. If the surgeon says he has a plan....FOLLOW IT!
2. If your surgeon did not have a complete plan...FOLLOW THE WINNERS PLANS (Jimbo and Frisco come to mind)
3. Don't sweat the small stuff ( a stall is a stall is a stall blah blah blah) Follow the plan
4. It's no different than before surgery just a lot easier and sustainable. You can do it! No REALLY... it CAN be done with a SLEEVE!

I believe this so much that I have a daughter who is 5'7" and about 260 lbs 25 years old.
She is beautiful.
She has seen how well my husband has done and I am going to pay for her to have the surgery as well. She went through 6 months of the pre-op testing and stuff about 5 years ago but did not want to get WLS because the surgery offered under the insurance was the by-pass and she did not think it was right for her. Now with the sleeve surgery being offered in the states, she has new hope. I love my daughter. If I thought for one minute that this would harm her in any way, I would not let it happen. We both understand that surgery in general has it's risks, but ultimately, we believe that obesity is worse.

She is so young. I wish I had been a smarter,. more informed mom, when she was younger. (sigh)

In closing:
It's a tool.
You have all TRIED to lose weight before.
You have all SUCCEEDED at one time or another for some small amount of weight loss.
The sleeve makes your effort easier and attainable.
The sleeve does not do it by itself
Everything you have ever learned/tried with weight loss will now be a lot easier, not a given.

IMHO

Cheers
Donna

P.S. wish me luck with the weight lifting....I think this is gonna hurt (sigh)
D

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
onemoretry
on 12/12/11 9:46 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Donna, Thanks so much for this post. I feel like you are talking directly to me. I was telling my friend today that I should give dieting one more try. Like you I have no co-morbidities and the surgery just flat out scares the hell out of me. Not being here for my daughter scares me more though. I am just so undecided, one day I am on board and then the next I am running scared.

Pkrplyr777
on 12/12/11 10:28 am - CT
If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice. (Rush)

Co-morbidites are only a matter of time if you cannot control obesity. (Medically Proven)

God gave us all free choice. (Bible)

Life is full of difficult choices (The Little Mermaid, Disney)

Life is short...(unknown)

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
onemoretry
on 12/12/11 11:36 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Donna, thanks for that, you are such an inspiration. I know this is something I have to do, I know that I will do it, I just have to get over the fear. I keep repeating to myself that F.E.A.R is False Evidence Appearing Real, but that has not worked so far. I am hoping by the time I get thru all of my testing and approval it will have sank into my thick skull.
kimbethin
on 12/12/11 11:19 am - CA
great post Donna!  Best of luck to your daughter!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
frisco
on 12/12/11 11:32 am

What a great dose of reality !!!

This is a must read......and you can insert many different names besides Jimbo and myself......

The overall reality you present.......is not just weight loss.....it's how WL directly effects life.....and quality of life.....

Great post....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Susan C.
on 12/12/11 2:09 pm
 Amen, Donna!  Awesome post.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views