Reality Check PLEASE :-)

kanga003
on 12/13/11 2:25 am
Okay... so I will be 5 months out in a week and I have only lost 64lbs.

I am not super disapointed with that because prior to surgery I lost 66lbs (in 4 months!) so I am quite content with my 130lb loss thus far, don't get me wrong.

I just can't help but feeling like kind of a failure... only 65 lbs in 5 MONTHS... after having 85% of my stomach surgically removed???

I can talk myself down, I'm in a resonably good place and all, and I KNOW from past experience that I never could have kept it off, so again, I'm good, but still...

I think I need a reality check for sure!!!

And I knew it was only a tool and all, and that is totally how I view it and use it, but I still have to work my butt off at it everyday... Is there more I could do?  Absolutly... but I still have trouble getting my butt motivated to excercise and really push my liquids.... sigh.

And I am getting some support around it, but I know that emotional eating has slowed me down :-(
SlynnD
on 12/13/11 2:40 am - Pasadena, CA
Shaking you back to reality!!! OMG! You have lost a LOT of weight - excellent job! Have you done anything to celebrate and reward yourself yet? You should if you haven't.

I hope you don't bash yourself any longer and enjoy what you have accomplished

Ms Shell
on 12/13/11 2:43 am - Hawthorne, CA
So that's 130lbs in 9 months averaging 14+lbs a month?

Why don't you tell me about your WHYS for having WLS...maybe that'll help you be motivated.

Speaking as an emotional eater who fell off the wagon at 3 years out and regained 20+lbs...if you are cheating already or giving into OLD habits...they would come back to bite you if you don't get it under control.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 3:45 am
kanga003
on 12/13/11 2:50 am
Thanks guys...

My why's... this is probably a very good exercises... thanks for reminding me about it :-)

I want to be fit and healthy for my daughter. (she's 4)
I want to live as long as I can for her (and me...)
I don't want to be an embarrassment to her, or me...
I want to be more confident
I want to be able to enjoy my body and what I can do with it
have adventures (zip line and white water rafting are on tap for the summer!!)
Not feel like the biggest one in the room
have more options in the dating world (I got divorced recently, wasn't an initial item on the list!)
have a biological child... or at least a chance at it.
resolve HBP
avoid diabetes

I don't know... SOOO many things :-)

Thanks for making me think about it all again... I really needed it today!
Ms Shell
on 12/13/11 3:37 am - Hawthorne, CA
No problem my love we ALL need to keep the BIG picture firmly within our grasps at times!!

I went Zipling for the first tiem EVER when I vacationed in Jamaica...OMG...what a ride =)

Enjoy your daughter and LIFE!!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

callalilly1975
on 12/13/11 3:51 am - Shelbyville, IN
Ms. Shell--That was a great thing you did for her.  I'll have to keep that exercise in mind for later when I have stalls.

Keep up the good work!
Nichole-age 36
Consultation with surgeon/dietitian to discuss VSG 116/12
CW-257
Ms Shell
on 12/13/11 4:48 am - Hawthorne, CA
Aww thank you =) it's helped me tremendously over the last 4 years to NOT gain my weight back.

Mom4Jazz
on 12/13/11 4:56 am
Let me put something in perspective for you.

Everyone gets one free "fabulous few weeks or a month", when the weight just falls off. Many on here get it post-op. Folks like you and me, we get it pre-op and we can't have it again no matter how much of our stomach we have removed. That means our "post-op" loss looks less dramatic.

BUT: If you had started from square one right after surgery, had that 20+ lb month and then dropped down to the average 10-15 lbs per month (which decreases the closer to goal you are) you would be down maybe 85-90 lbs in 5 months - which means you'd be 40-45 lbs heavier than you are and have a lot more to lose right now. So hooray for your pre-op loss even if it did mess with your post-op averages.

You were also more of a lightweight at surgery due to your pre-op loss, so if you're comparing yourself to heavyweights (because you've always thought of yourself that way) you're looking at the wrong place.

You've averaged 13 lbs a month post-op. That's amazing. You're doing terrific.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

20maddie
on 12/13/11 6:38 am - TX
Hi,
I was sleeved 1 day before you and I've lost 54 pounds. Do I wish I had lost weight faster? Absolutely and I do get down every once in awhile, but when I see the things I can do now with my kids I realize that 54 pounds is a lot of weight. I will lose the rest, it's just a little slower then I expected.
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views