People Magazine!!!!

SleeveRockn Chic
on 12/30/11 9:21 am
 Ok so I was just at the store and saw this magazine.  I used to love reading the articles and how inspiring the people were to lose that much weight even though I was never able to do it like them.  Well what got me pissed was what the bottom of the cover said..............NO SURGERY, NO GIMMICKS, REAL SUCCESS.  Seriously WTMF??????????? Because I had surgery what am I a gimmick or I am not a real fricking success because I used a tool that is truely helping me lose weight more than I ever could in the past.  I have lost respect for People magazine.  Needless to say I didn't purchase the magazine.  I would rather come up here and read the success stories of people that are going through the same thing as me.  This is a fricking tool and we still have to work hard.  Shame on People, Grrrrrr. Sorry had to vent.  Kerry

Oh here's a link to the pic of front of magazine......http://haveuheard.net/2011/12/people-half-size-it-south-caro lina-weighed-234-lbs-photo/ 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

lmreadynow
on 12/30/11 9:27 am
 OMG!  l just had the same experience!! l was so excited - l usually buy that issue because of the weight loss stories, but then l saw the 'no surgery, bleh bleh bleh' crap and got so mad l didn't buy it.  l guess it's much less shameful to be an unhealthy severely obese person stuggling, maybe one day losing a few pounds than someone who had surgery. lf you struggle, starve and work out 10hours a day you're worthy.  
Shame on them! Sorry, l'm venting along with you!! ;)

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
SleeveRockn Chic
on 12/30/11 9:34 am
 Yeah I guess they figure if you had surgery then you took the easy way out or you didn't work for it.  Those idiots don't realize how hard a decision it is to have surgery and how hard we really work.  We are the true successes.  Oh and as far as gimmick I was looking on the website of people where I found the front cover pic and one chic used LA weight loss, the other Atkins and so on, when were these programs not gimmicks??? Gimme a break People lol  Kerry

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

Pura Vida
on 12/30/11 9:39 am - Costa Rica
They are just trying to sell magazines. It was probably some skinny little editor that made up the title!
sunnymicki
on 12/30/11 9:56 am
No one looks down on smokers who use a nicotine patch or chantix to quit...no one would belittle their success, saying it wasn't done the "old fashioned way."

But for some reason, there is this attitude out there about WLS being "cheating."  I don't know.  Its frustrating but I bought into that attitude for years, and it kept me from getting on the road to being healthy sooner.  Thankful I was finally able to swallow my pride and do what really works.  Definitely no thanks to the annual People magazine "half their size" issue.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

dittodotv
on 12/30/11 10:01 am
I was at Wal-mart yesterday and saw that issue and saw what you were talking about...but the first thought that popped into my head was "they should do a follow-up article each year about the so-called 'sucess stories' because I would bet if you follow the people 1-2 or 2-3 years out, I'd like to know how much of their weight loss they were able to maintain..."

Sad that that is the perception out there, because now that I am on the other side of the WLS, I know firsthand this is NOT the "easy way out" by a long stretch...sigh.

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

slimpickins5280
on 12/30/11 10:08 am - CO
No Gimmicks??? Really!?!?!?!

Um Jenny Craig, Atkins, Weigh****chers, Medifast ...

Yeah, those aren't gimmicks.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

tanieanie
on 12/30/11 10:08 am - WI
I just had to deal with that mentality today!   I was telling an In-law how excited that I was that Im 1 lb from being at 100 lb loss.  She responded with how long did it take... I said, 8 monhts.  Her response floored me.... she said and I quote....   Well its not like you did it the hard way.    Ummmmmm   OMG !!!   I just stood there with my mouth hanging open!

Barbara W.
on 12/30/11 10:38 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Your in law shouldn't be so mean.  That is pure meaness.  Anyone who applies themselves to have a healthier lifestyle through surgery deserves to be held to a high standard.  I think it is truly amazing you have reached 100 pound loss in only 8 months.  I commend you. Congratulations to you for such a impressive success.

Pura Vida
on 12/30/11 11:27 am - Costa Rica
i am so sorry you have an insensitve Beootch of a mother in law. All you can do in those situations is smile and know that you didn't do it for her!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views