calorie intake and metabolism

BETHC500
on 1/5/12 7:33 pm
I have a question about our calorie intake and metabolism. I always hear the "experts" say that the human body needs at least 1200 calories per day otherwise the body thinks its starving and will slow the metabolism and store fat more efficiently.  our experts tell us to keep our calories under 800. We hit these stalls and our weight loss stalls and slows over time.  I was wondering what the deal is. Can anyone explain this to me?

seanbear66rn
on 1/5/12 7:48 pm - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
 I work with children with eating disorders. We are told that anything under 1200 calories can cause refeeding syndrome. It can cause bradycardia (Low heart rate) and orthostasis (significant changes in vital signs from laying to sitting.)  I am not sure if it is different with weight loss from surgery.

Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

pedirn06
on 1/5/12 10:00 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
I have often wondered the same thing and am looking forward to seeing what the responses to this post are.  Although I have not been sleeved yet, I am not sure how I feel about such a low calorie intake.  Seems fatigue would be a problem.  As far as healing, if your protein intake is sufficient, you should heel OK and stay hydrated.  Wonder about exercise and also muscle waisting??
Mom4Jazz
on 1/5/12 11:10 pm
I can't explain it other than to say I've seen some recent studies that contradict that.

The only evidence I have is 116 lbs in the 8 1/2 months since surgery (I lost 23 pre-op), an average of over 13 1/2 lbs per month. It works - for me and for others.

That said, I don't think it's a good idea for folks to do on under 800 calories on their own. You need to get in enough protein and you need supplements to get in the vitamins you're not eating because you're focusing on getting in protein. Someone who just dropped their calories under 800 without this support would be missing some needed nutrition.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 12:30 am
The low calorie diet has been studied extensively, and there is quite a bit of real science behind it.  You can look up the journal articles yourself.  The bottom line is that although lower caloric diets do slow your metabolism a bit, it is nowhere near equal to the calories you burn.  This is especially true for MO individuals.  Study after study confirms this, yet the "starvation mode myth" is still out there and I guess always will be out there.  So it's a losing battle.  The so called "stalls" on a low calorie diet are quite short and there is a scientific reason for them, they are not "stalls" at all but only your body readjusting to burning more of your fat.  That is why inches come off while you are "stalled", you are burning your fat, but it has not yet left your body. If you want more details, look up Macmadame's blog at fattyfightsback and read the studies for yourself.  By the way, there are more studies on this than she has listed.  You can do your own research and make up your own mind.  Do take your vitamins and eat protein first if you are going low cal as their is such a thing as protein deficiency and that is a real issue in low calorie diets.
BETHC500
on 1/6/12 8:55 pm
Thanks Elina, you are always so knowledgeable about these things. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views