Experimenting with protein

moonglo82
on 1/7/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
How far out before surgery did you start experimenting with different protein products?  On one hand, I am so eager to get this thing moving and I feel like that might be something I can be working on while I wait to hear more from my approval.  On the other hand, I have a hunch that my taste may change slightly when I'm not eating as many carbs, etc, so I wonder if I will even like the same protein shakes after surgery as I would before.  

Any insight on this would be great.  :) 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

2muchfluff
on 1/7/12 1:03 pm, edited 1/7/12 1:03 am
I started gathering samples and trying things more than 6 months before my surgery. Your tastes will probably change, but at least you will have some idea of what is tolerable. The biggest difference I noticed after surgery was my extreme distaste for sweet things. Including my protein powder. But I was able to cut the sweetness a little, by adding more liquid than what was called for, adding a pinch of salt, and adding extra cocoa to the chocolate. I found too, that I got really tired of sweetish things and just wanted plain food like soups, so I got some unflavored protein to put in them to give myself some variety.

tillmadd
on 1/7/12 1:13 pm - WI
 Your best bet is to order samples and try low cost samples like EAS advantagedge & costco has a brand many people like. Check out Unjury they have cheap samples.
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Mike B.
on 1/8/12 12:52 am
All I can say is sample, sample, sample. I have a stock pile of stuff that I got before surgery and now it just sits on the shelf. Your hunch is correct,what tastes good to you now, may not taste all that great after surgery. I bought protein shots before surgery and thought they tasted ok, but post op they are disgusting.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Susi1021
on 1/8/12 1:43 am - MD
I did not start drinking my protein shake till about 4 months out just had not found one that I liked until I was introduced to decaf coffee the best :) Decaf coffee, ice and your pre-made protein shake Ooooo so so good reminds me of something you would get at starbucks :) so so so goooooddddd....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whTnbQO/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/whTnbQO/blk-weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op