Leak test? Did you get one?

Avererage
on 2/1/12 9:09 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/15/12

My surgeon and his clinic do not do leak test on sleeve patients, only on RNY patients.  He gave me a the but I did not understand too much.  Is this standard?  Did you get a leak test?  This scares me.

trayb17
on 2/1/12 9:13 pm
VSG on 01/05/12
Leaks were checked for in the operating room and the morning after surgery I was given barium to drink while xray pics were taken to again check for leaks. I wasn't allowed anything by mouth until passing the next day test. Is it possible the surgeon is checking for leaks in the operating room?
kam0520
on 2/1/12 9:14 pm - AL
They told us that they would do one during surgery, they'd run a blue dye through the sleeve and not to freak out if we saw green pee or blue on our lips.  I think that's kind of odd that they wouldn't do one on you.  I think I would ask for it if that's a possibility.
smbergie200
on 2/1/12 9:14 pm - Naples, FL
I had one and my wife did not. I think it is doctors preference. The barium swallow is disgusting so you are not missing out.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Carmelita
on 2/1/12 10:03 pm, edited 2/1/12 10:12 pm - Four Corners, NM
Finding Neesey
on 2/2/12 12:28 am
On February 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM Pacific Time, Carmelita wrote:

I had 2 leak tests...ONE IN OR...and ONE day after SURGERY.

I trust a doc that does LEAK TESTS..moreso than one that does NOT...as LEAKS is 1 of 2 of the biggest post op complications facing VSGrs.

Dr. Cirangle /LapSF...does NOT believe in leak tests...in OR or post op....
throws everything but the kitchen sink at that staple line.....HIS PTS. STILL GET LEAKS!

Now can yer surgeon do a LEAK TEST in OR AND POST OP....and ya STILL GET A LEAK?
Sure nuff!!   a tiny leak/ hole..due to surgical swelling inflammation CAN PLUG up a tiny LEAK it goes UNDETECTED with post op LEAK TESTS, post op ER visits even!...and month or two later once that swelling goes down...WHAMMIE! but it was there since surgery! LEAKS do NOT RANDOMLY HAPPEN!

KNOW THAT the NATIONAL average for LEAKS in VSG in 2010 reported to ASMBS is 2.2%....thousands of VSGs done...and the national average is a tad over 2%  ...chances it HAPPENS to YOU...are RIGHT SLIM! ...I know that stat doesn't help at all if its YOU sustainin a leak tho! :-(

Qs ya wanna know a bit more about...
What is YOUR SURGEON'S leak rate?  not that you will get the truth but may lessen your fears...
HOW MANY VSGs has your surgeon done?  Over 75 is a number that may lessen your fears
IF you were to sustain a LEAK...how does your surgeon REPAIR them? 

Calm your fears tho! IF YOU....should sustain a LEAK, a major speed bump right.......KNOW THAT EVERY SINGLE LEAK SURVIVOR....RECOVERS and goes on to ROCK THEIR SLEEVE...once repaired! 

THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY...to CHANGE YOUR LIFE!! SCARY you betcha!! HIGH ANXIETY right!!  stack the odds in yer favor....knowledge is power....

GET THOSE ANSWERS.....its NOT NATURAL for a human to CHOP OFF 85% of a normally functioning organ....HIGH ANXIETY right!  but VSG is CHANGING LIVES...for the BETTER!!
Savin us from that DOWNWARD SPIRAL!  me...just getting OLDER and FATTER and SICKER...

VSG SAVED ME why Im here to shout it off from the rooftops...I am FOREVER GRATEFUL...that I had this LIFE SAVING, LIFE ENHANCNG procedure....leaks be damned!

eta:  signs and symptoms of LEAK...on my LEAKS and STRICTURES blog
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+leaks+and+strictures/

Some VSG surgery videos on TESTING for LEAKS...on my BOUGIE in VSG blog

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

Thank you for all this information!
You say "LEAKS is 1 of 2 of the biggest post op complications facing VSGrs."
What is #2??

hwag5149
on 2/1/12 10:05 pm
Mine doesn't do leak tests and has had 0 leaks

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

nandmsmom
on 2/1/12 10:20 pm - Bridgewater, MA
VSG on 01/10/12
No leak tests and no leaks for his practice.

HW 290   SW 272  CW  234
Mr-Smith
on 2/1/12 11:18 pm - Hillsdale, MI
You need to evaluate your specific surgon's technique and practice to determine your risk.

My surgon has had no leak issues in his practice and only tests for leaks in the OR. But he also uses an endoscope to inspect the inside of the staple line as well as the outside. 

If your surgon does not have a lot of experience or a lot of history, I would be concerned.

momsy55
on 2/1/12 11:22 pm - ME
I didn't have a leak test either.  I had read about the tests here, and kept waiting for it, but it didn't happen.  I also didn't have a drain, which I had read about on many posts here, as well.  Not sure why the differences.  Other things such as pre-op and post-op diets have also looked different from person to person too, as well as bougie size.  I guess there are no hard and fast standards for a lot of things. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views