Undecided about VSG surgery

Jackie F.
on 2/6/12 6:09 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
I will soon be meeting with my surgeon.  For the past 5 months I was really excited and certain that I wanted to get this procedure (VSG).  Now I'm on the fence? I'm going back and forth with RNY and VSG.  Could you guys share with me what may you ultimately decided on getting the VSG over any other surgery?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jackie
Happy966
on 2/6/12 6:12 am

I didn't have any physical reason to think I wouldn't lose weight by calorie reduction alone - I just could never stay lower calorie on my own without an eventual spiral into uncontrolled eating.  I am hoping I can lose the weight and the restriction will at least limit the amount of damage I do when I go off the rails.

I didn't want any malabsorbtive surgery.  I wanted to keep my digestive system as close to normal as possible (I love me my pyloric valve!).  Those are my reasons.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Jackie F.
on 2/6/12 6:59 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
Thanks for your response!

Im some what active physically (walk/jog 3 miles a few times a week, hiking, biking, zumba, ect) And eat good food choices lean meats, lots of veggies, plenty of water, and some starches but Its very hard for me to loose weight.  Like you Im hoping that I can loose weight with some restrictions and limits!
tristak
on 2/6/12 6:14 am
The biggest reason I opted for VSG over RNY was because I did not want to mess with my plumbing.  And then the more research and reading I did the more I realized that I also did not want to deal with a lifetime of vitamin/mineral/etc deficiencies.  For me the VSG was the ideal solution....how many times have we all said...if only my stomach were smaller....and now it is.

My cousin had RNY 4 months before I had VSG - our rate of loss has been the same and unlike her I have suffered no issues (she is unable to eat or enjoy a large variety of foods) - I am able to eat anything I want (within reason).  I can enjoy social events without any concern about what I will be able to eat and not eat. 

At 16 months post-op I have lost 150lbs from my highest weight and I am wearing a lose size 12 pants and medium or large (depending on brand) top.  I am exercising 5-6 days per week and living my life on a whole new level...

Best of luck to you!

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

Jackie F.
on 2/6/12 7:02 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
Congrats on your WL!  Like you I do not want to mess with my pluming.  Ive suffered many years with IBS and I'm very afraid of the lifetime of vitamin/mineral/etc deficiencies.  I'm swaying towards the VSG.

Thanks for your insight!
Daviegrandma
on 2/6/12 6:17 am - Davie, FL
Same here.. I  wanted to keep my stomach and not have any problem with absorption. I also wanted to lose weight slowly and still be in control of my weight loss..

Jackie F.
on 2/6/12 7:02 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
Very concernd about the absorption issues
felicity2u
on 2/6/12 6:32 am - LA

Same as the others, I was afraid of all the rerouting and malabsorption issues associated with the RYN.  Plus, all the people that I know that have had the RYN have gained all of their weight back 5+ years later, not to say that you can't gain weight with the VSG but that fact just worried me.  I don't regreat a thing I have done and would do it again in a heartbeat, it truly saved my life.  I will be a year out on March 3 and am down 140lbs. 

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

cpbkmb06
on 2/6/12 6:56 am
VSG on 02/02/12
I too didn't want the malasorption. I also wanted to be able to eat what I wanted within reason. I also thought about long term. There are several meds you can't take with RNY. There are just a few with VSG. I am also terrible at forgetting to take my vitamins(please don't yell at me about this!). With RNY it is ESSENTIAL that you take them everyday for the rest of your life. These are just the main reasons I didn't go with RNY. I was sleeved Thursday and so far I don't regret a thing. Good luck deciding.

Jackie F.
on 2/6/12 7:07 am - Pico Rivera, CA
VSG on 03/09/12
Congrats on your WLS!  I too am very bad with taking vitamins...  This is a good point and leading me into making the right choice for me.

Thanks for your comment!

On another note. My sister was sleeved back in early Nov 2011.  She is feeling and looking great.  She has not had any complications and could eat almost anything.  Although I do not want to be ill, I hope that certain things make me sick and not want to eat them.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views