Stuck on the "what ifs" of WLS...

LunaChic
on 2/7/12 4:44 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
Hello Everyone,

As a new member, let me introduce myself.  I am a 33 yr old technology professional in North NJ.  I'm about 5'1" and weigh about 240lbs and have been considering VSG for about a year and a half now.  I've been overweight for most of my adult life and have managed to lose up to 50lbs on my own, but always wind up gaining it back and starting the unhealthy cycle again.

I've been considering WLS for so long and have not taken action because I am getting caught up in all the "what if"s of post-surgery.  I've done all my research and have spoken with many friends who have also undergone WLS with amazing results.  i have chosen a doctor who I feel comfortable with based on the experiences my friends have had. I believe I am a prime candidate for WLS due to many complications I am having due to my weight, but all of the possibilities after surgery are whats holding me back.

Believe it or not, I actually fear being "too skinny" and wonder if I will like the way I look post-surgery.  I am concerned that I may have way too much excess skin and will down a path of multiple plastic surgeries just to have a "normal" looking body (I know someone who went crazy with their body image and had multiple plastic surgeries).  Yet, on the flip-side, I am concerned for my health and feel that this is the best time for me to undergo WLS now while I am younger before these health conditions really settle in.  I want to be healthier and happier and more fit.  I love working out and last, but not least, I want to be able to stop shying behind my size (I tend to cocoon myself).

Has anyone else who has undergone surgery had these concerns?  How did you over come them?  Has anyone else around my size experienced problems with too much skin post-weight-loss? 
emelar
on 2/7/12 5:55 am - TX
Excess skin doesn't cause diabetes or hypertension.  It doesn't make your joints ache.  Except in extreme cases, it doesn't prevent you from doing whatever you want to physically.  You're more likely to get better skin recovery if you lose the weight while you're younger (this coming from someone about to turn 54 whose skin is not snapping back!).  And if it doesn't, fix what you can afford and what bothers you the most.  But don't let it worry you.

About losing too much - you can stop weight loss whenever you want.  Add more calories - nuts, peanut butter, avocado - high in fat and calories and don't take up much space.  But the fact is that, once you start losing, you're gonna want to get down to whatever your body's lowest "set point" is, and maybe even beyond.

DaBigKahuna
on 2/7/12 5:57 am
On February 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM Pacific Time, LunaChic wrote:
Hello Everyone,

As a new member, let me introduce myself.  I am a 33 yr old technology professional in North NJ.  I'm about 5'1" and weigh about 240lbs and have been considering VSG for about a year and a half now.  I've been overweight for most of my adult life and have managed to lose up to 50lbs on my own, but always wind up gaining it back and starting the unhealthy cycle again.

I've been considering WLS for so long and have not taken action because I am getting caught up in all the "what if"s of post-surgery.  I've done all my research and have spoken with many friends who have also undergone WLS with amazing results.  i have chosen a doctor who I feel comfortable with based on the experiences my friends have had. I believe I am a prime candidate for WLS due to many complications I am having due to my weight, but all of the possibilities after surgery are whats holding me back.

Believe it or not, I actually fear being "too skinny" and wonder if I will like the way I look post-surgery.  I am concerned that I may have way too much excess skin and will down a path of multiple plastic surgeries just to have a "normal" looking body (I know someone who went crazy with their body image and had multiple plastic surgeries).  Yet, on the flip-side, I am concerned for my health and feel that this is the best time for me to undergo WLS now while I am younger before these health conditions really settle in.  I want to be healthier and happier and more fit.  I love working out and last, but not least, I want to be able to stop shying behind my size (I tend to cocoon myself).

Has anyone else who has undergone surgery had these concerns?  How did you over come them?  Has anyone else around my size experienced problems with too much skin post-weight-loss? 
Sounds like you've done your research

As far as the excess skin... that may be a consequence of your current life. Do you think you will be happier and healtier if you stay at your present weight or if you hit your goal with excess skin?

I doubt anyone has entered this surgery without the same doubts, concerns and fears. Are you going to let them keep you from making the best decision for yourself?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

LunaChic
on 2/7/12 6:03 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
Thank you Matt and Justin for your reply.

You both are right...  its better to be healthy with extra skin, than unhealthy and round. :)

I have a few other concerns that I'll need to ask my doctor about but I've been told that post op you will tend to have a lot of gas.  I am one of those weird people who do not know how to burp (yes, seriously -- this might be TMI, but basement, not the attic).  I was told that burping was the only relief for post-op gas and for life after WLS.  I'm afraid I'm going to be tortured by gas!...
Happy966
on 2/7/12 6:36 am

I would not have believed how completely *normal* I would feel physically, just a few months after this surgery.  I think most of us do.

I had many of the same concerns you had.  I went from 287 to 165 in my mid-20s and I did have excess skin.  I didn't look "normal" naked, but I didn't like "normal" at 287 either.  I never had plastic surgery, and I maintained this loss for about 5 years before the regain started.  I didn't like it, I'll tell you that straight-up.  But it wasn't unmanageable or uncomfortable - I just looked weird in a bathing suit (mostly my arms and upper thighs).  I'm sure I'll have the same problems just worse this time at 52.

Your fear of having too much plastic surgery is borrowing trouble, I think.  I wouldn't even worry about it until you lose the weight and see how you do.  You may be perfectly satisfied. 

I also don't want to be too skinny, I'm right there with you.  I would be thrilled to stablize forever at 180 pounds, which is way to high for most people and just on the overweight side of obese at my height.  But I know my body at that weight, and it would be okay to be there.  If I got lower (and I'd like to see 160 for the hell of it - and for extra breathing room for bounce-back), that would be cool but yikes, I can't imagine being smaller than that.

I have read on these boards that some vets have trouble stopping their weight loss, but that is a very uncommon problem, compared to those that are able to stop and those that struggle with bounce-back.  So I don't worry about that at all. 

Good luck!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

katier825
on 2/7/12 7:05 am
At my highest in 2008, I was 240 (I'm 5'2"). I was overweight all of my life, morbidly so for many years. The older I got, the less I would lose when dieting no matter how dedicated I was. Then I would always regain that and more. I had been in the 220-225 range for a couple of years prior to my surgery in November 2010. I lost a few prior to surgery and on that day, I was 195. Six months later, I reached my goal of 140. I still am amazed at how quickly I was able to get rid of the extra weight! I lost several more in the next couple of weeks and have maintained around 135 since then. I find it easy to maintain at this weight without losing too much.

The skin issues vary by person. You are young, so you probably have a better chance of it bouncing back than I did. Mine was over stretched nearly 50 years. Exercise helped a lot for me, especially my arms. I still have bat wings, but not nearly as bad as some. I don't have a problem using clothing to disguise the bad areas. I've developed a fondness for elbow length and 3/4 sleeves. Looking back, I can honestly say I'd rather deal with the loose skin than the extra weight. I'm healthier, happier, and have much more self-confidence than I've ever had. My blood pressure returned to normal within a couple of months and I was off my meds. My labs are great. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have never had even one second of regret.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Margo N.
on 2/7/12 7:52 am
These worries are a lot like mine were. What is different is that I got a good glimpse at the "what ifs" of continuing to be morbidly obese.

After being fairly healthy despite my weight for a number of years, I found that to a greater and greater extent it was becoming impossible for me to continue to be healthy AND overweight.

My blood sugars were becoming difficult to control, even with a low carb diet.
My blood pressure was creeping ever higher, even with meds.
My arthritis pain was becoming really unmanageable.
It was impossible for me to exercise without significant pain.
and so on ...

I saw my life getting smaller and smaller as activities became difficult, painful and / or impossible with the excess weight and I could see that there was definitely going to be some surgery in my future, whether it was WLS or (another) knee replacement, or treatment for a heart attack or a stroke.

I decided that despite the risks of WLS, and the fears that I had of being thinner, that my odds were best with a surgery if I was in a position to choose it, rather than needing it done on an emergency basis when my health was even worse than it was before my WLS.

I have done some writing in my blog (address below in my signature) about my feelings regarding excess skin. I have it, I don't love it, but I feel and look fantastic! (see pics in profile if you care to) One thing that I had to come to terms with was the fact that even if I got down to a size 4 - I was never going to look the way I would have looked at 25 if I were a size 4 who had never been morbidly obese. My reality is that I was not 25, I was 46, and that years of obesitiy had made changes to my body and my skin. I had to mourn a bit for that youthful person who never got to experience her 20's and 30's at a normal weight.

Sometimes it still ****** me off - but even if I had plastics, I still would not have a perfect body -so I am loving the body I do have and enjoying my renewed health!

Good luck to you - I LOVE my sleeve and the way I feel these days!

Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

USAF Wife
on 2/7/12 9:14 am
I was 32.5 yr old when I had my VSG revision (2.5 years ago). I went from 263lbs to 125lbs on a large 5'2" frame. I was as round as I was tall.

Not to negate the skin issue, because I'm flabby and have some excess skin, but I'll take the little bit of skin I have over the back fat rolls that made me look like a can of Grands biscuits popped at the seam. Too much skin or too many fat rolls along with landing in a pine box 10-15 years earlier because obesity related illnesses and conditions KILL, excess skin doesn't. I don't necessarily love every inch of my post-weightloss body, BUT there is FAR less of me to hate ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

frisco
on 2/7/12 2:03 pm

Pretty normal thoughts......

Here is the deal on skin......(This is what I told myself).....Skin is not very forgiving.....every year you let go by....the worse it will get....yes genetics plays a big part also.....but the reality is.......you/I/we should have thought about that when the weight was piling on.....that's the reality on that....

What if.................you develop, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart conditions, joint issues, heel spurs.....no name a few......

You are wise to be on this track at your age..... I/we have seen incredible life changes to several really young ones! 19-25yo. 

Speaking for myself, and I'm sure I'm not alone...... This surgery and education.....gave me my life back.....  I can now participate in my own story..... no more cocoon for me !!!!

Continue your research and make this something you want really bad !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kristy R.
on 2/8/12 6:45 am - Santa Clara, CA
You will have to deal with excess skin, it's just a fact.  I am 5'5" and 37.  I started out at 240 (although I have weighed more).  I have found myself wishing for a tummy tuck.  But I doubt I will.  I got what I wanted out of my surgery - a healthier life.  My sleep apnea is gone.  My migraines are reduced.  Am I skinny?  No.  Am I healthy?  Yes.  My doctors goal for me was 150 pounds.  I don't know if I am going to get there.  If I do, it's for vanity - because I have already met my health objectives.  I look and feel great - that was the goal for me.  Best wishes and good luck with making your decision.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Most Active