Questions for current or past CPAP users...

VintageChick
on 3/3/12 5:11 am

I've had my machine for two nights.  I see my surgeon Wednesday and will ask him the following questions, but in the meantime I'd love some input from other CPAPers.

Headaches???
Both nights I've had a headache arise 2-4 hours after falling asleep.  The headgear is not too tight; it's not the problem.  Also, I've felt itching in my nasal passages and quite a bit of drainage throughout the day today.  The machine has a warming humidifier and a heated line, both set moderately by the RT who set up my machine.  I'm thinking about raising the humidity a bit to see if that helps the nasal itching/burning.

Also... I feel like I can't breathe out when I first put on the nasal pillows.  Is there just a learning curve to this and I'll learn to breathe against the pressure soon???  Or will this feeling continue?  I'm upping the ramp to 30 minutes tonight from the 20 minutes it has been on.  Almost feels like I'm blowing up like a balloon, so occasionally I feel the need to breathe out my mouth to empty my lungs.  Maybe a mask would be better for this feeling?

My surgeon requires I bring the CPAP with me to surgery.  I sure hope losing weight helps since I feel worse using the machine than I did before discovering I 'need' it.
Phatchick
on 3/3/12 5:29 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I am ashamed to say I got my 1 yr ago and could never get used to it. My husband on the other hand wears his nightly. He states when he wears it he ffels amazing the next day. He says when he does not wear it he is tired and cranky.

My pulmonologist terrified me when he told me sleep apnea patients have a hard time waking up from anesthesia after surgery if they do not use their cpap machine regularly before surgery. he almost did not ok my bariatric surgery because of this ;(

I have to bring mine to the hospital also, Ugh.

I'm trying to get used to it but I have no magic answers. I need suggestions too.

Good Post.

Sharon

Kevin H.
on 3/3/12 8:59 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I'd take being a little uncomfortable anyday over not breathing for minutes at a time, oxygen saturations going into the 60s and the long term affects of pulmonary hypertension developing and killing me at an early age.  

You should really try harder to use your machine.

Phatchick
on 3/4/12 4:37 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Pardon me, Mr MD,  but i do not come to this forum to be judged.  

Sounds a little judgemental telling me what I am feeling. Stating I was feeling "a little uncomfortable'? is an assumption on your part. How would you possibly know what my comfort level was?

Telling me I should try a little harder?  Really?

Perhaps you should concentrate on what your physician is telling you and spend less time assuming things that are not correct. Sharon 

Teresa H.
on 3/3/12 11:17 am
 Did we have the same pulmonologist??  LOL!!  Mine told me the exact same thing....scared me so bad I ended up cancelling my original VSG surgery date in Oct 2011.  I could never get used to wearing the machine the entire night.  The best I could do was fall asleep with it on and sleep for about an hour. I realized me and that machine were never going to become sleep partners, so I decided I was going to have the surgery anyway in Jan.  Turns out, they never even put the machine on me!!  While in the recovery room I asked about the machine and the nurse anesthesist said I was not put on me because I didn't need it!    I have not worn the damn thing since!!

happiegirl
on 3/3/12 6:06 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
I'm sorry to say you just have to keep trying different masks...until you get one that works for you. Dies your machine have a step down for pressure? That's what I use until I fall asleep than the machine picks up the pressure. Also think about bipap...it only has pressure when you breath in than it eases off when you breath out. Also maybe the pressure is too high....call your sleep Dr. There is a lot they can do to help.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Jaybee766
on 3/3/12 6:13 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cpap (I'm weird I know) but it makes such a difference in my alertness.  I get pissed off when the power goes out and i can't wear it because I'm going to be exhausted the next day.  that said, i do pull it off sometimes to go to the bathroom and forget to put it back on so I'm not perfect.  I'm not sure about the headaches but I completely understand the itching in the nose and I think you're right to play with the humidifier to find the right setting.  Seasonally, I change it from 4 to 2 but never 1.  My first year I kept it on one because I was weirded out by the idea of blowing moist air up my nose all night but wow it makes a difference when it's not too dry.  Also - can completely relate to the feeling like blowing up a balloon initially.  Usually that only happens when I'm thinking to much about how I need to get to sleep, I need to get to sleep.  It's definitely a learning curve and I"m not sure I can explain it well but when you are in the balanced breathing place it's almost like your inhaling and exhaling very softly and not relying on the machine for oxygen. Try to breathe and inflate your lungs and not necessarily pulling air in from the mask - does that make sense?  It's really hard to explain but when I focus on my lungs inflating gently and deflating gently and not on what my nose is or isn't doing, it's better and I can fall asleep.  

Gosh, I'm not sure that helped.  But just know that it definitely does get better and honestly you may not need it for very long (fingers crossed) Hang in there.  Message me with any questions and I'll try to answer.

Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/12 6:45 am, edited 3/3/12 6:52 am
Only use distilled water in the CPAP.  And yes, increase the heated humidifier setting until it is too much!  You'll know because the hose will collec****er and get what is called rain-out.  It will start spalttering water on your face, then back it off one. 

Also, they sell socks (covers that slide over the entire tube to insulate it.  It keeps the air warmer so rainout doesn't occur and it is much more comfortable against your face.  I also made my own, purchasing some very soft fuzzy cloth and then sewing it together and sewing in a velcro strap on each end to snug it at the end of the tubes.  I loved mine!!!  http://www.cpap.com/productpage/snuggle-hose-tube-cover.html

But, shortly after sugery I stopped needing it.  Haven't used it in a couple of years and now I need to sell it. 

Best,
Starfish40
on 3/3/12 7:14 am
VSG on 03/06/12 with
I can tell you it definitely takes getting used to.  I've had mine since early August of last year and at first I could only do 2 hours max.  I have the kind that have the softpillows that go in your nostrils and straps in front of your cheeks.  I originally had the same problem with the humidity, but was told by my doctor I could use it withou****er alsoand I switched to that it made all the difference for me.   I have gotten a headache occassionally, don't know really from what.  I was also given a chin strap at first until I got used to it, because apparently if you open your mouth (which I was doing unknowingly during my sleep) you can get bloated, because the air then goes into your stomach.  Don't know all the anatamical explanation on that, that's just what I was told.  I no longer use the chin strap, I can keep my mouth shut  on my own.  As far as itching, I do get itchy in my nostrils while I'm asleep every once in a while, I simply pull up the softpillows off my nose and rub it then re-position without ever turning off machine.  I can say it definitely gets better and I can now go between 6-8 hours with it on with no problems.  And I most definitely can tell the difference in my alertness and energy throughout the day.  Hang in there and don't abandon it all together it is very important. 

HW: 333, SW : 300 CW: 275. GW; 150

Pooch2
on 3/3/12 7:05 am
vintae chick,

So good to hear your treating your sleep apnea, don't give up, it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.   I cant use nasal pillows, forgetaboutit..... I use a nasal mask, actually an APAP machine now, where the pressure varies thru the night.  I have to use flonaise to clear my nose at night before I go to sleep.  You might need it too but I think breathing into the pressure, just takes a little time, unless they put the wrong pressure in there but I doubt that.   I have to use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed.  Not really sure about the head ache, I would call the RT about that, I think if I had those pillows in my nose I would have a headache too.... I could not make it 2 hours with those, for others its the only way....  When you get everything working right and you get your first real good nights sleep and some nice deep dreaming....you will be thankful.  Call the RT, they have heard it all and will guide you.   BTW, I don't like much heat on my humidifier... I don't like anything too hot when I sleep including the air I breath, I keep mine at 2 unless its very very dry....(very rare)   I didn't even use humidification for the first couple of years and was just fine.   The nasal drip is probably your airwaves getting used to the pressure and will likely pass, try more heat or less heat until that clears up.... I never had the heated line but if your in a cold climate that probably helps...  Good Luck wihth it all and your surgery, YEA...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views