Trigger Foods

The-New-Me
on 3/13/12 9:49 am
I was recently reading a book about how to be successful after weight-loss surgery and one of the suggestions was to stay away from food that you know are your triggers.

This is what I came up with so far:

French fries, any fried food.

No fast food, anything with a drive-thru window, including Starbucks.

No baked goods bought at the grocery store and don't make them at home.  I will allow myself to have one piece of something if it is in a social situation.

No candy bars.

I am also doing postive things like re-arranging my kitchen and learning how to really cook healthy meals for myself.

Just wondering what trigger foods are for other people and how they avoid them, or do you?

kam0520
on 3/13/12 9:55 am - AL
I don't know that I completely agree with this.  Part of the reason I chose this particular surgery was so that I could "endulge" in those foods occasionally.  I am not having take out/fast food 7 days a week anymore, but if, later down the line, I want a burger or fries, just to get the taste of it, that's fine, as long as I know I can't do that constantly.  I'll never be able to eat a double cheese burger, large fries and coke again, but I am ok with that. 

My triggers are salty and so I keep 100 calorie packs with me, or I eat some crackers or cheese.  I eat 5 crackers, not an entire sleeve.  

As far as a candy bar, try the south beach diet Protein snack bars, they arn't too bad and only 100 calories so they can help with that 'sweet' craving.  Good luck!!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 11:31 am
I can tell you if it's in my house, I will eat it. In fact, there was an unopened bag of Lays Chips in my pantry left over from a party. I could Resist anymore. I opened the Chios, had a handful and through the whole bag out. A better accomplishment would've been throwing them away BEFORE I ate them.

Even though we make progress we will always have our demons. For me, I do better when none of my trigger foods are around me. No crackers, cookies, chips, basically no simple white carbs. It's like poison for me. More like a drug.

Now I have another 3 day detox to get the crap out of my system....
The-New-Me
on 3/13/12 11:38 am
I agree, I do much better if there are no temptations. 

Plus, I feel like I have eaten enough of all the trigger foods I need in my life time.  Probably more than my share.

pedirn06
on 3/13/12 12:02 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
trigger foods are just that....trigger foods.  For me it has always been sweets.  Since keeping my carbs at or below 40 I am not having carb cravings.  I do crave things that "crunch" sometimes after being on liquids and as of today had pork rinds - 1/2 oz!  lol 9G of protein.  Jus****ch the fat.
pedirn06

howarli
on 3/13/12 11:21 pm - MD
Trigger Foods:   oreo's, snickers, cheetios, potatoe chips all of which are in my house.  My husband is supportive about my surgery, but he will be quick to say "you had the surgery not me" and he is right.  Needless to say,  I have developed a great deal of willpower.

USAF Wife
on 3/14/12 12:12 am
My trigger food list is too LONG to type out. During my losing stage, I didn't allow "indulgences", I just didn't do it.

Maintenance, totally different story. I had to find a balance for my physical and mental well-being. Deprivation dieting for years and years led to binging. So, I allow for things now, and have since getting into maintenance. I have issues putting away the cheetos if I have an open bag, but if I portion out a small amount, I'm content with that set amount. For me, moderation didn't happen until I was at goal and below and trying to live as close to a "normal" life as possible.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views