Vegetarian Ideas

The-New-Me
on 3/16/12 1:48 pm
I am wondering if anyone else is a vegetarian and having problems balancing proteins and carbs.  I am only two weeks post-surgery and just added soft foods.  It seems like it is very hard to get the right ratio of protein to carbs.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Rouxful
on 3/16/12 2:37 pm
 I'm not vegetarian now, but I was a strict vegetarian for two years in my teens. However, I was ovo-lacto. Being vegan post-op is downright unhealthy. There's simply no way you can sufficiently nourish yourself as a sleeve patient without involving animals somehow.

So, assuming you're vegetarian, not vegan, here's some ideas for protein:

Greek Yogurt
Edamame (mashed and overcooked with margarine)
Eggs/Egg Salad
Soft tofu, mashed up
Hummus
Warmed, mashed feta cheese

Things will be easier once you're on to solid foods, but for now you're stuck with a pretty limited variety. Just hang in there.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

getmylifeback12
on 3/16/12 10:32 pm - NY
Morning Star makes really good vegetarian products. Veggie Burgers, sausage, chicken etc...
100% meatless, tasty too. Most important high in protein, low in calories and fat. Frozen section in your supermarket.
Morgan S.
on 3/17/12 11:25 am - El Cajon, CA
VSG on 01/20/12
beans, cheese, eggs, greek yogurt and like someone else said, veggie products by morning star. If you get the burgers and breakfast sausage they have alot of protien, and low carb. But the "chicken" nuggets and things are pretty high in carb.

I've never been a huge meat fan, and having an even harder time eating meat since I was sleeved so I've been eating mostly the above foods. My favorite is soyrizo and eggs, or cheese and beans right now.
hello_knitty
on 3/20/12 1:14 pm - CO
VSG on 05/15/12
 Hi!  I'm vegetarian as well. Have you tried any of the Gardein or Field Roast fake meats?  They're delicious and have higher protein and less carbs than the Morning Star or Boca products. The Field Roast sausages have 11 grams of carbs and 26 grams of protein!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views