Please tell me I'm not alone....

INgirl
on 3/31/12 2:34 am
What finally did it for me was several things- the realization that I could never lose and KEEP off the weight. I struggled and fought and spent a crazy amount of time working hard and only once managed to lose all of it, down from 308- my highest, but that was 15 years ago, I was single.. and energetic as hell with no body soreness, not anymore at my age!

I then slowly regained most of it.. but that number was always in my head.. 308.. 308.. and I got closer and closer.. up over 280 at one point. I hurt my ankle a year prior to surgery, did some damage to my tendon, and no matter the brace, rest, etc.. it just wouldn't heal. So my limited activity became more limited which pissed me off. I started feeling more uncomfortable as my weight went up, my biggest Lane Bryant jeans became too tight (but I wore them anyway).. and another straw was realizing my job was adding to the stress that was killing me, so I quit.

I thought I couldn't ever do it- financial reasons.. insurance wouldn't cover it.. we were saving to get out of our dinky house and had a nest egg in place. My husband was the last piece to finally fit and make this happen. He told me flat out that he'd rather have me around, healthy and happy than have a nice bigger house that I wouldn't fully enjoy due to my size and limitations, that I was worth investing the money in.. more than property. I couldn't accept this before he told me it, but he made me realize that I was putting myself last.. All this time I was working, working and saving for a house.. and letting myself fall apart. He was even the one that found out about the VSG and turned me onto it.. and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I finally feel like the playing field is level.. I have a chance, I never had a chance against my weight before.
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/12 5:25 am - TN
VSG on 09/23/11 with
Yes, being emotionally and mentally ready IS paramount. With that being said, when you consider the alternative, it is really a no brainer. I truly believe the VSG will become the Gold Standard of weight loss. Is there a big adjustment? Absolutely, but as I said, one has to consider the alternative. This surgery gave me the control nothing else ever did.  

I did it 6 months ago and have lost 100 pounds and still want to lose 30 more to get to my goal. 

Within 6 months I no longer had to go to the mailbox or take out the trash under the cover of nightfall ... I no longer had to worry about getting stuck in a chair that had arms on it ... I no longer was replused by my own reflection in the mirror ... I no longer had to wear Gi-normous tented clothes ... I no longer had to fight those terrible hunger cravings because the hormone Grenalin (sp?) is diminished ... I no longer had problems with my thyroid, blood pressure, difficulty walking, energy level ... ... these are just a few reason I would do it all over AGAIN in a heartbeat! ... If a photo helps ... here is mine taken March 29, 2012.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Barbara W.
on 3/31/12 5:32 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I approached this the same way you did.  My doctor told me to get the weight off.
When I try dieting I only lose for about the first three months and then it stops.
I had the usual tests run to see if I had thyroid issues.  When the tests came
back "normal" I needed another weight loss idea and this was it.  I went  to an
orientation to learn about this process and then went thru 12 classes to learn
about the entire process (exercise, eating, life changes). When I read about
other peoples difficulities I get real scared.  The food issues, exercise issues
and kidney stones.  All very scary.  But, what do I want?  A healthy lifestyle or
more of the same misery life gives me with all this weight on me.  I have an
appointment with the surgeon on May 8th.  From there I will have surgery.  I am
still very nervous and I hope I do not get so doubtful that I back out.  I am now
pre-diabetic and my knees and ankles crack and pop when I walk.  This has
got to be the right decision.  Good Luck.

f4eva
on 3/31/12 7:48 am
You guys are just AMAZING!!   I want to thank each and every one of you for your candid, heartfelt  answers and to those of you who posted your pictures - you look great. 

One more thing, does anyone know what is involved to change a date the insurance company came up with?
You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you all for your honesty.

Btw, hwag5149, I will IM you when I figure out how to.  Lol!!

happyteacher
on 4/1/12 6:46 am
 I was in the same spot you were as far a****ting rock bottom with dieting.  A couple of years ago I sat through the session for a RNY, but it was just too much for me to do.  The idea of rearranging myself was just too scary.  Then I heard about VSG and knew that was the one for me.  Had to wait a while before insurance covered it.  Realized this past summer I could begin, and I never looked back.

The surgery itself was a very easy process with a simple recovery.  I am about 3.5 months out and have lost 80 pounds, including 26 pre op.  Here is all that I have benefitted from already- and I still have progress to be made!
1.  Helped the DH- he has lost as much as I have, and doing it together has brought us even closer to one another.
2.  Once I hit about 60 or so pounds I noticed a HUGE increase in energy level.  No more being wiped out at the end of a work day, needed less sleep, and overall just feel like doing more!
3.  Exercising at first was really hard.  Now I enjoy it!  The DH and I go for 4 or 5 miles walks daily now- and we both love it!
4.  My clothes are so much smaller I cannot even believe they are mine.  I love shopping now- a little too much!  I feel like a normal overwight person now, instead of so intensly obese that people feel sorry for me.
5.  I am more confident and no longer avoid situations because of my weight.
6.  It feels so good to be eating healthier choices consistently!
7.  I love eating small portion sizes- this suprises me greatly as I thought for sure I would mourn portion sizes!
8.  I rarely crave bad food anymore.  When I do and slip up a little, I am now able to get myself back on program without too much damage being done.  This one is huge, as I was an absolute failure at this before surgery!
9.  The idea of eating like I am right now doesn't bother me at all- just happy about this!
10,  Comorbidities are resolved and dropped the meds.

I just wish I would have done it earlier- even the RNY 2 years ago.  But I am here now and loving it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views