My surgery experience

tabrielle10
on 4/6/12 12:45 am
Alright for those who has to be on a "need to know" basis.  My experience with this surgery went like this. The morning of the surgery went relatively well. The weather was horrible though. We had incurred some serious lightening, and continuous thunderstorms that caused visibility issues and some street flooding.  I was afraid, my surgeon wouldn't make it, but he was there before me.   I checked in and I was given a gown and socks to keep my feet nice and warm. The surgery room tends to be quite Arctic. I was rolled into the OR waiting room and met my anesthesiologist, and the OR team.  They were super nice and supportive, and then my surgeon walks in and says, are you ready to go.  I told him, lets do it dude!  He laughs as I am rolled into the OR. There is a lot of activity going on. My IV took a minute as they couldn't find a vain, so it was place on top of my hand. The aneth guy gave me my happy shot and my time asleep went sorta like this.  Count from 100 down, and I was out at 99! When I woke up, I thought they didn't do anything, but I couldn't be more wrong.  I was covered with the warmest sheets you ever wanted to feel.  It felt so good! I was rolled into my room to recovery, but to my surprise, my IV was somehow moved from my hand to to upper part of my armpit?  Can you imagine that?  Any hue, the IV machine kept going off so much through the night, I was ordered a PICC LINE. Now for those that don't know what this is, it is a line that is place into the upper arm for easier access to draw blood and for fluids to go in intravenously. this was a trip too..,you would think you were paging the anesthesia guy from home! He had to be called out to do this! He put on surgery gear and you'd think I was having a mini surgery in the middle of the night.  It wasn't too bad, but it did take about 45 minutes to do.  Long of the short of it, at the end of my stay at the hospital, my surgeon conducted his rounds at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon with the folks that were in the surgery room with him, and they all said that this was one of their best WLS, as it only took 45 minutes to remove my stomach. I was so concerned about my liver being shrunk enough before going under, and Dr Bellows was quite pleased with the reduction of my liver. He was very proud of how the surgery went and he stated that my incisions were beautiful, no problems. He released me with an approved 'BILL OF HEALTH', I was pleased that this actually happened and now I am on the losers bench for real now.  Before surgery, I lost a total of 20-24lbs. I weighed in at 306 and my surgery weight was 280. I wish everyone the best of luck on their soon to be surgery, and pray that your success story is as satisfying as mine was.  Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers.  They really did help me. 

Lisa S.
on 4/6/12 12:48 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Awesome story. Congrats!!! I can't wait to see your progress.

tabrielle10
on 4/6/12 12:55 am
Thank you.  I can't wait either!

AnnMarie
on 4/6/12 12:59 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Thank you for your story! I travel to El Paso Sunday, do my pre op Monday and surgery is on Tuesday so your post really helped me

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

tabrielle10
on 4/6/12 9:50 am
Im so glad AnneMarie this helped!  I pray that your surgery goes well and that you too will have a great story to share with our OH family! Someone always need to see a story for inspiration! Keep us posted on your experience, and we will see you on the losers bench!  Haay!!!

AnnMarie
on 4/6/12 9:57 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Thank you so much--see you there! :)

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

fireman441
on 4/6/12 1:04 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 hey thats super ,now the next 2 weeks will go by fast ..good work ...

tabrielle10
on 4/6/12 9:52 am
Thank you fireman441!  I appreciate your positive comments!  I cant wait for the 2 weeks to pass by! Still sore..but the worst is over!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

Louisianawench
on 4/6/12 1:11 am, edited 4/6/12 1:11 am - New Orleans, LA
VSG on 03/21/12
My surgery was pretty much the same with him. He was very polite and happy with my weight loss. I have now dropped 56 pounds and am doing great. He was also very pleased with the size of my liver and my overall recovery. My surgery was just under 40 minutes and I was up and able to walk 2 hours out of surgery, even though the nurses would only let me go to the bathroom and made sure I went right back to bed. And Yes his team did check on me a few times before I was released My stay was only 1 night. And it was excellent. I have no complaints what so ever about Dr. Bellows or his staff.
amyl0528
on 4/6/12 3:19 am
LOVE the surgery story, thank you so much for sharing.  Good luck and I'll see you on the losers bench soon  :)

VSG Surgery May 1, 2012
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 123 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 356 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 403 views