All alone & VSG quickly approaching...

nwtxgirl35
on 4/28/12 7:50 am - TX

How long should I have someone stay with me after surgery?

Can I be sucessful doing this all on my own with no local support from friends/family? 

A little about me and my situation...
- I just moved to Texas and the closest person I know is several states away.  I work from home, so I really don't have a lot of opportunity to meet new people especially because my surgery is only 6 weeks away.
- I'm planning to have my mom fly in for the actual surgery, but she is questioning how long she will need to stay.  A week, two or three weeks?  She's retired and has a lot of free time, but I need to get an idea so we can book her plane tickets. 
- I'm also really concerned about doing this completely on my own.  I don't plan to tell anyone other than my mom about the surgery.  I'm worried about not having any support with my day-to-day life after my mom leaves.  I'd love to hear from someone in a similar situation.  I really, really want to be sucessful and need to prepare myself for dealing with all this on my own.

So happy I found this site today.  Thanks!  :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 7:54 am
VSG on 06/04/12
I don't know how long it takes to recuperate from the surgery since I haven't had mine yet but I am not telling anyone other than my husband and my two kids that live in town.  I'm really planning on using the support I have found on this message board and the facebook group for my Dr.  I think you can do it on your own as long as you have some way to reach out to others be it in person or online. 
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/28/12 8:00 am
Does your surgeon have a local support group?  If so, i highly recommend you attend it regularly.  Not only will you get support for VSG, but you'll meet some new people.

As far as how long to have your mom stay, no one can predict how you'll feel and how you'll recover.  Everyone's experience is different.  That being said, two weeks is probably a good time frame.  Understand, though, that it could back fire... having others in  your house means they'll be eating food while you'll be on liquids.  The smells and the sights could make it harder for you.  It's up to you what you think you can withstand!

Either way, best of luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

jacreasy
on 4/28/12 8:04 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 I was just sleeved this past Monday 4-23-12, It was harder at home than I expected. If your mom can stay with no problems I would have her stay with you for about 2-2 1/2 weeks.  I know that seems like a long time but for one w my doc I can t drive for 2 weeks and I have 2 follow up apts in those two weeks, Plus I needed help getting a shower if you have a JP Drain it will be a little hard. Who will push you when you need to get in more fluids? or walking or just getting something to drink in a moment where you don't feel as good as you should.  I cant say I understand WHY people dont share their WLS with many people.  I'm an open book and get lots of support. Everyone I know knows I had the Sleeved done.  Maybe you could just tell your closest friends just someone that can maybe come visit you when your feeling down or hurting. Just a thought and I know everyone is different.  So just do what you think is best for you when the time comes.  Good Luck!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

fireman441
on 4/28/12 8:04 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 i asked the same thing,i found 1 week was super 2 weeks was little much..but if you and mom get along good 2 weeks is perfect..best of luck to you ..

Texdawg
on 4/28/12 8:37 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Dr Nick was my surgeon as well! And he does have support groups. I went back to my desk job aft 2 weeks and was fine. Good luck.
VeeBee
on 4/28/12 8:45 am - OH
VSG on 01/23/12
I live alone and didn't have anyone stay with me and I was just fine. I did have my daughter of course drive me home.  Although my discharge papers said I couldn't drive for 2 weeks, the discharge nurse said it was okay to drive as long as I had been off any narcotic medicine for 24 hours.  I was operated on a Monday, discharged on Wednesday and the following Sunday I drove just to the grocery store to get out of the house.  I would not recommend spending much time in the store though.  What I did do was text my daughter before and after I got out of the shower the first few days because I felt a little weak and wobbly.  As far as support, I used this site and I am sure my friends and family got sick of my texts with my daily weight loss statistics!  I think it might actually be a little easier to stay on the program living alone, because you are not cooking or buying food for others. Best of luck to you.
wings5757
on 4/28/12 9:04 am - NY
VSG on 05/24/12
Welcome!  I have not had surgery but I have attended some support groups and they have been informative and helpful.  This site seems very helpful and many people post after surgery to ask questions and the more experienced members respond.  :)
sweettooth58
on 4/28/12 10:33 am - IL
I think a week would be fine. I live by myself and after 5 days I was home alone and did just fine. I was back to work in a week and a half. My daughter did take me to the doctor's in the first week.
You have to remember that everyone recovers different so I don't think anyone can tell you how long you would need someone.
Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views