Not all Vets were created equal

NanaDebby65
on 5/6/12 1:27 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I recently read somewhere that "all" vets followed the same guidelines during WL. So I wanted to give my story because I was not like "all" other vets during WL.

I'm not trying to create drama with my comments but I have to say there have been a few of us vets who did not live by the golden rule. I think that is why someone who is "different" than the majority gets their a$$ flamed when they post they ate "X". When I say "different" I dont mean the people who are eating foods they shouldnt within the first few weeks of surgery. That part I did not compromise.

I did not go super low carb. My daily carb intake was generally between 60-80, sometimes a little less during WL. I incorporated dairy, whole grains and veggies along with my protein. This was something my Nut recommended and I followed his plan. In fact, his recommendations are 90-110 carbs per day along with 60-80 grams of protein.

I also gradually increased my calorie intake according to my Nut's plan. Started out at 600-800 calories, gradually increased to 800-1000 by 6 months and then 1000-1200 when I started getting close to maintenance. I've been maintaining my 100% EWL for 18 months now between 1200-1500 calories per day.

Am I super strict with myself now? Absolutely not! Was I super strict during my WL phase? Absolutely not! I tried eating 90% on plan but being a binge eater I know how my past diets have failed. If I wanted something and I refused to allow myself to have it, I knew I was setting myself up for a major binge. So I tried to plan for the craving. If I wanted chips and the craving went on for several days, I would buy a small bag and work it into my daily calorie intake. But that was key for me because it would be a small bag vs a family size bag. So it worked for ME.

I guess the whole point of this post is it's ok to be "different", if it works for you, however be prepared for aggressive responses to your posts if you share your choices. I did not post when I had something "off plan" because I knew what type of responses I would get.  

Find what works for you, there is not a one size fits all plan. Yes the majority of the successful vets did use the same guidelines however some of us can be different and if it works, that's ok. We are all adults and the final decisions on what we put in our mouths is up to us, no one can change that but you.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, I'm just sharing my story because it is ok to be "different" as long as your successful. If you are not being successful, then maybe you need to re-think your plan.
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
moonglo82
on 5/6/12 1:45 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I love this!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

ordinarybeauty
on 5/6/12 2:04 am
VSG on 09/27/12
Thanks so much for presenting a point of view that is inclusive. I appreciate that we make space for the many paths and stories we bring to this site

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/12 2:13 am
VSG on 10/17/12
Thanks for posting this NanaDebby! I appreciate your point of view. I think people get intimidated when they hear their weightloss word will end if they waiver from the 'rules.'

Thanks for reminding us that there is room for all kinds of advice and multiple opinions!
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/12 2:14 am - dubai, United Arab Emirates
your post made my day, ever since i had this surgery which is 12 days ago... ive been drinking juices and liquids that have some carbs and some sugar but im losing alot of weight and im not feeling hunger at all.... and i find that if my portion sizes are extremely small then i will lose the weight and also maintain. 90 % on plan sounds great ... it use to be 0% on plan.
hwag5149
on 5/6/12 2:15 am
Thank you. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there like you but I'm sure some people are going to say they you are VERY rare and your way just happened to work for you for some strange reason and their way is the "proven" way "statistically."

I love your post. Thank you.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

econtiff
on 5/6/12 2:32 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Glad to hear you say this! I was just telling my hubby the other day that OH seems to have extremes and I felt like I was in the middle. I want to find a lifestyle that works for me and doesn't leave me feeling deprived and depressed everyday. 

I read a post about someone who has a bit of chocolate every night. Ok, so what, as long as you know that's where your calories are being spent.

Yesterday I felt like I was eating constantly but since we eat in such tiny portions, it was seriously like 348 calories for the day. I also did 2 miles on my bike so then I was at a waaayyy defecit. I mean if you're only eating 2 tablespoons at a time, I feel you do have to focus on nutrition but you need some calories too!

I feel the biggest thing I am learning with my sleeve so far at 12 days out is that I'm so much more cognizant of exactly what I'm putting in my body. I read labels, I plan the meals, I eat very slowly, and am barely hungry. My hunger that is starting to come back is soooo manageable compared to before. I wake up hungry in the morning but it's not like ravenous grab food and start shoving in my mouth.

It feels good to be in control :)

Keep up the good work!
MyOwnSunshine
on 5/6/12 2:34 am
Thanks for posting this.  I am very similar to you.  I'm nowhere close to being a vet, but I do consider myself a successful mid-level sleever.  I eat quite a lot of carbs in the form of fruits and veggies.  Some days most of my food is meat, cheese and fruit.  I've lost well to this point, and my loss is slowing as I reach goal, but I think that is true for most, regardless of carbs and calories.  I'm starting to get the "Oh, please don't lose anymore, you look great right now," comments, so I know I'm pretty close to where I need to be. 

I'm actually eating somewhere between 1600 and 2000 calories, depending on my weight lifting.  I think this will probably be my maintenance range.  I am trying to build muscle mass and lose body fat with a new lifting program, so I don't really care what the number on the scale says, as long as those two things are happening.

Like you, I "treat" myself on occasion.  Sometimes based on a craving, or sometimes based on special occasions.  I generally don't cave into every craving in the moment, but if I have an ongoing craving, say for pizza or a brownie, I plan it into one of my higher calorie weekend days and get it out of my system. 

Also like you, I was really strict and followed my plan for the first 3 months.  After that, my plan no longer restricted the types of foods or set a specific calorie level for me.  I work closely with my dietitian and exercise physiologist, and my surgeon is freakin' over the moon about my progress, especially my level of exercise and fitness.  My team would be thrilled, even if I never lost another pound.

I respect everyone who successfully follows their own path to goal.  There are many paths, and we all need to use our knowledge and intuition about what will work for us.  It's not a one-size-fits-all deal -- we all know that one-size-fits-all is the biggest lie in the universe, right?  I learn from a lot of people here who have radically different eating plans than I, and I draw comfort and support (especially from my MFP friends) who follow different paths than I.   It is not a contest or a competition, and everyone here can only provide information based on what they know to be true at the time.

It's okay to post about our individual journies, but like you, I don't post every time I eat a cookie and expect Frisco or Ruggie to applaud my choice and offer me a hug.  I do respect both of them and appreciate the feedback that they provide.  I have good days, better days and absolutely abysmal days, and they're all part of my journey, but I certainly don't expect that people who are on a weight loss surgery board will provide positive reinforcement for less-than-stellar food choices, and I don't provide positive reinforcement to those that I feel make poor choices either. 

Thanks for posting this!  I think it is important for people to know that there are successful vets who follow different eating plans.   
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
ruggie
on 5/6/12 11:42 am - Sacramento, CA
As hard as you work, and as dedicated as you are, I would love to buy you a cookie.

A small cookie. 

And it'll be our little secret. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

rhearob
on 5/6/12 2:51 am, edited 5/6/12 3:03 am - TN
 I think the key to NaNaDebbys post and the difference to a lot of what we have seen in the boards lately is focus.  The point to a lot of the discussion latel on some peoples post is not that they ATER something, or slipped.  I don't think anyone is perfect - I know I am not.  I have cheated, but like NaNa Debbie I log my cheats into my journal and do not exceed my calorie goals or short myself any protein even if it means I have to resort to a shake.

When I do cheat - I also take the time to examine myself.  Why did I need to do that?  Whay was it that made me eat?  Was I physically hungry, was I eating emotionally?  If I was eating emotionally - What emotion was it?  How do I deal with that in the future without turning to food?  

The thing that I see lacking in many of the "Ass ripping" threads is the OP's in those threads are not taking that accountability for what they eat, and trying to really understand why they ate it.  Lets look at that infamous post from this past week - What were the OP's Key Points beside the food, it was all stuff clearly indicative of compulsive eating.   That OP had been planning for at least a week on how to cheat.  She was given many alternatives to have similar diet safe foods, but didn't want to take any.

I would ask NaNaDeb - in that situation what would your advice to the OP who is only 10 weeks out  have been?  Congratulations on the bagel or you may need to focus on other issues and tools?

No one *****ally replied gave a f about the bagel, it was everything behind the bagel that people tried to caution about.  But for trying to present a different option, pretty much everyone was called Nazi or asshole or intolerant.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views