Need Hair Advice!!!! Please help!

Miluska32
on 5/22/12 12:15 am - NJ
Good Morning All
I had VSG surgery November 21st of this last year.  It's been 6 months since surgery and I have lost 65 lbs and couldn't be happier with the new ME!

At first I had a hard time remembering to take my vitamins and eating the right foods.  I have since gotten on track with my vitamins.  I take two multivitamins, two calcium, D3 1x a day, Biotin 500mg 1x a day, thyroid medicine and a B12.  I have always had thin hair on the top of my head.   But now my hair falls out in handfuls! 

I have since bought makeup to cover up my scalp as a temporary fix but I am hoping someone here could share some of their hair loss stories and hopefully give me some hope that my hair loss will stop after my body adjusts to the sudden weight loss.

Any help anyone could give me regarding anything they used to help grow hair or what I should increase to help with additional hair loss would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance for you help!!!!!
kitsyb
on 5/22/12 12:22 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
I am 4 months out and have started losing my hair.  I too take Biotin but I'm also taking zinc.

Daisy_Rose
on 5/22/12 12:54 am
 Yep - that's a hard thing to deal with.  My stylist says I've lost about 2/3rds of my hair... oh yippee...

My  NUT has me on an OTC called Hair, Skin and Nails.  This does not stop hair falling out, but helps with re-growth.  It's a combination of weight loss and surgery.

On the flipside, I've lost hair, but I've also lost bottom, bust, found a waist.... I know it's hard.  I got my hair cut a little shorter so it looks "fuller."  Also I now use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner which helps with the fullness factor.

Good luck and hang in there... It does grow back.

MyOwnSunshine
on 5/22/12 1:13 am
Mine fell out like crazy from 4 to 8 months.  It seems to be slowing down to normal, now.  I got mine cut super short so the re-growth wouldn't be as obvious.  I will probably keep it short for another 4 months or so to let the re-growth catch up and then start growing it out to medium length again.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Maureen K.
on 5/22/12 1:17 am
 Was the scariest part for me I had thin hair to begin with and tried everything not to lose but..... my nut and doc said if it is going to happen it is going to happen they said really the only thing you can do is try and get more protein. On a good note it does stop took mine about four months to stop and it did come back. I am 3.5 years out now and I recently had another relapse of hair falling out for about a month so I got back to adding more protein and happy to say it has slowed again. 
Hang in there it does stop and it does grow back. At the time it was happening I was totally panicked but now I can tell you totally worth every strand. Best wishes 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

ronniesnana
on 5/22/12 1:35 am
what is the reason for hair loss?
Maureen K.
on 5/22/12 1:42 am
 It happens when your body has traumatic changes such as surgery, trauma, rapid weight loss 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Soccerref
on 5/22/12 1:32 am
I think you need increase your biotin to 5000 mg a day. It's really helps my hairs to grow faster. I am taking vitamin c, omega/fish oil vitamin. Good luck.

Carmelita
on 5/22/12 2:08 am - Four Corners, NM
Miluska32
on 5/22/12 3:29 am - NJ
Thanks everyone for your responses! I am super happy with the weight loss and even though my hair has thinned out ALOT! I still would of done the surgery again!
I have been so embarrassed about my hair loss that I haven't gone to my beautician for a trim.  I think it's time I just go and get a cut and continue putting my hair make up and continue taking my vitamins and continue eating right and exercising and Pray this will end soon!

Thanks Again everyone!!! I really do appreciate your advice!
I have an appt. on the 31st with my medical doctor to make sure I'm not vitamin deficient so maybe he will tell me to increase some vitamin or another! LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views