Sleep Study ?'s

4seasons
on 5/22/12 2:47 am
VSG on 08/13/12
I am having a sleep study Thursday night and was wondering if the results of this could delay a surgery date? If I do have sleep apnea, will I have to be on a cpap machine for a while before they will do the surgery? I'm hoping this only will determine what the anethesiologist will have to do for me during surgery. It doesn't do any good for me to call the surgeon's office with questions. I only get their answering machine and rarely a call back.

I don't know what to expect.
jacreasy
on 5/22/12 3:07 am
VSG on 04/23/12
I had a sleep study done b/c my PCP thought that it would be one more reason for the Ins. Co. to say YES! I went stayed overnight it wasnt that bad.. If you have a pill that will help you sleep I say take it. I did but then again Im not a Doctor!  I did and might still do have Sleep App but it didnt affect the progress of my surgery.  I never went back for the second follow up as they wanted me to do another one with the Pap Mach on. I didnt  go b/c I WILL NOT USE ONE AT HOME.   Good Luck Hope that helps a little

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Kevin H.
on 5/22/12 8:29 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
This is sad to me .. kinda like saying you have cancer but refuse to take chemo for it.  If there is a treatment, you are only hurting yourself by not using it.  Sleep apnea left untreated causes Pulmonary Hypertension for which there is no cure and a host of other long term affects of your oxygen saturations dropping constantly all night long.  I have been using mine for 14 years now and I'll take that over ending up in a nursing home anyday.  I refuse to even nap without it.

Best of luck to you.

jacreasy
on 5/25/12 4:41 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Thanks... Mine was just a very low result.  Was really like being on the borderline of having it. Best of luck to you as well... Hope you are able to get off that soon!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Kevin H.
on 5/25/12 6:21 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Well thats good hopefully it will go away completely for you.  After loosing quite a bit of weight im still on a pressure of 18 after a recent sleep study to see how far down it needs to be so I may not ever get off of it.

Elaine2
on 5/22/12 3:11 am, edited 5/22/12 3:19 am - Atlanta, GA
I was on a CPap long before surgery and was required to take it to the hospital with me the day of surgery. They zapped that thing on me as soon as I came to in recovery.

I've seen allot of posts about this. If you are diagnosed with SA, many surgeons require that you use the machine prior to surgery------2 weeks to 2 months. But not all have that requirement. It just depends on your surgeon. Sorry, but it looks like you have to call them.

The test is not difficult----just irritating. You get wired up, spend the night (trying to sleep) and leave early AM (in my case). Results in a few days.

SA is very serious and dangerous. It really puts a strain on the heart as well as other things---you really want/need to know if you have it. The machine makes sleeping so much better---once you get used to it.

Edited because.....this posted before I had even finished. ??????

Kat1313
on 5/22/12 3:43 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Elaine 2 is right, sleep apnea is no joke.  It can cause heart problems as well as stroke.
If you do have sleep apnea and need the CPAP, use it!  I use it every night and any time I take a nap.  It's just not worth having a stroke.

Re the surgery:  I had abdominal surgery last summer and it was not a problem with the anesthesia.  I just had to bring my machine to the hospital to use when I slept.  Haven't had WLS yet but it's probably much the same.
melz1974
on 5/22/12 1:05 pm
VSG on 07/10/12
I did the sleep study and found out I have mild sleep apnea.  They think that it might be cured after I lose the weight.  I discussed it with my surgeon thinking since it was "mild" it wouldn't be a big deal.  My surgeon explained it this way to me (which makes sense)..."Your body requires oxygen to do a lot of things and having sleep apnea deprives your body of that much needed oxygen.  Being on the CPAP machine will only help you in the healing and weight loss process.  It will also make your time sleeping feel more restful and make you feel like you have more energy.  You'll need that energy throughout the process."  So I got a CPAP machine today.  I'm going to see how well it works for me.  I'll probably wait, since I'm working midnights and won't actually get time for uninterrupted sleep until Thursday night. 
Most Active