It's starting to get real and I'm freaking myself out!

ButterflyAnna
on 5/31/12 11:05 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
Yesterday I had my psych consult and and echocardiogram. I only have one more meeting with my NUT on 6/18 and then I meet with my surgeon on 6/19 to choose a date for VSG sometime in July. HOLY S!*T!!!!!

I'm really starting to freak out. I'm thinking completely irrational thoughts -- I'm imagining every worst-case scenario after surgery from leaks, pain, death to just complete failure as far as sticking to a healthy eating/exercise plan. Why is this happening? It's taken me my entire life to realize that I need help and was thrilled when I decided to have WLS. I remember after making my decision to have surgery I was so happy and almost relieved to have a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm not sure why this is happening. I hate that I'm starting to doubt my decision. I'm blaming it simply on nerves and I know that this is the right decision for me. Why am I feeling like this?

Any vets feel this way before surgery?

Thanks for listening,
Anna
Fun2BFit
on 5/31/12 11:14 pm
VSG on 05/01/12 with
 These are all totally normall fears. It is a big deal, and you will go through a huge range of emotions from now until even way after surgery. I certainly have. But know that you are making this life changing decision for the right reasons. You will do great, best of luck to you!
    Fun2BFit
sutherngrl94
on 5/31/12 11:17 pm - Raleigh, NC
Although I don't consider myself a vet yet (6 wks post op) I think you're pretty normal.  You just need to take a deep breath and personally I would make a list of all the reasons you chose to have surgery in the first place.  Also remember, just because you have a date set doesn't mean you can't change your mind.  I thought about changing my mind several times but in the end am sooooooo glad I didn't.  Even if I never lose another pound I would have never gotten this far without my sleeve.  Don't get me wrong, there are frustrating times but really this is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  EVER!!  As long as you are secure with your surgeon and trust him/her and have done your research (which seriously helped me get through the nerves) then you'll be fine.  Be sure to come here too!!!

AngieB2011
on 5/31/12 11:28 pm - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
Yes likea lot of people will say, it's very very normal. I was having anxiety attacks!! I was second guessing myself, wondering if I was doing the right thing. And it all came to the same answer, yes, I'm doing the right thing!!  Oh God, and when they called to tell me my date, if I had been standing I would have fallen over. The day before and the day of surgery I was constantly reciting Bible verses. 

Now I look back and kinda giggle at how I let myself get so worked up. I'm glad I did it!!  Don't get me wrong though, THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY and you have the right to be concerned!!
elizasgone
on 5/31/12 11:51 pm - St Cloud, FL
VSG on 06/28/12
I am right there with you. Each day it is becoming a little bit more real. I have an appointment on the 15th for my Pre-op stuff and my surgery date is the 29th. I am trying to keep busy...I think an earlier post said something about "nesting"....totally doing that too. Bottom line? I think we are normal....and it is good that we have this outlet to post our fears and see that together we can work through these fears and acheive anything we want.!
ronniesnana
on 5/31/12 11:59 pm
Yes totally. I just received my date for July 3rd and feeling the same thing you did. My support is my friend who also had the sleee in April and is doing wonderfully. Other than that I am feeling the same. So we need to just think of our future healthy and wonderful. Hang in there. Let us know when your date is.
mame31
on 6/1/12 12:37 am - RI
VSG on 05/29/12
 Anna...doubts are normal. If you are confident that this is what you want/need then you are on the right path.  I had my surgery on Tuesday and each day out it gets better. I too worried about complications and the thought of not being here for my son (3 1/2 yrs old) nearly floored me.  But then I took a deep breath, remembered why I needed the surgery and then gave it all up to God.  We can only control what we can control...the rest is up to luck, fate, the universe, your Dr's skill and the grace of God.  Hang in there...it will all be alright. Best wishes.
Mame31
rabid24
on 6/1/12 1:06 am
I know exactly how you feel. My surgery is in 5 days, and up until my pre-op appointments a few days ago I had no doubt in my head I was doing the right thing. Now it's all getting real. And this stupid pre-op diet along with having 5 kids and a husband that are still eating normally is making me question whether I can do this for the rest of my life. And then I go through the "What if something happens to me? Am I being selfish when I have 5 kids to worry about?" Oh yeah, and just last night my husband started trying to talk me out of it. All along he's been saying "I wouldn't do it if I were you, but that's your choice." Real supportive, huh?

Anyway, I just kind of wish there was a way to close my eyes and have it over with because the waiting and the mind games I'm playing with myself are about to drive me nuts. So remember, you are not alone! But in the end I believe we are truly doing the right things for ourselves :)

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

ButterflyAnna
on 6/1/12 2:07 am
VSG on 07/02/12

Thanks for the responses everyone! I figured it was just nerves, but I like to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

I know that this is the right decision for me -- I don't think I would have endured the last few months getting poked and prodded if I didn't want to go through with the surgery. It's just that it seemed so far off when I started and now it's HERE. I guess there's nothing left to do but sit back and enjoy the ride! 

By the way....I love reading all your posts. I have gotten SO MUCH information these last few months. Sometimes things I didn't want to know! LOL!

Best wishes!

Anna

CandieHearts
on 6/1/12 3:10 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
You are definitly not the only one. I am 2 weeks out and I felt the same way. I was freaked out, Nervous, excited all of it.

When I got to the hospital, it all came rushing to me and I couldnt stop crying because I was scared, nervous, and seriously freaked.

They gave me some stuff to calm me down and I am so glad I went through with it!

Good Luck!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views