VSG in Mexico / Post-op care worries

ywgchick
on 6/10/12 5:21 am
VSG on 05/08/14
Hello,

I'm Canadian and self-pay. I'm getting my ducks in a row to try to make VSG in Tijuana happen. I'm looking to have the surgery with Dr Ponce de Leon.

At this point, my biggest concern is post-op care. I'm not going to do it withour ensuring I have post-op care lined up. Unfortunately, when I (casually) ran it by my GP last month, he wasn't against it per se but he he wasn't biting too hard..but I wasn't too serious about it either.

After doing lots of research on it, now I'm serious.

I've made another appointment with my GP for next week. I want to walk in armed to the hilt with all the information possible, specifically when it comes to his role in my post-op care, like what he has to look for, the tests he'll need to run, etc.. I want to give myself every chance of him saying yes.

So, to those who went to Mexico, were you given extensive care instructions from your Mexican doctor? Do you have anything you can message me directly so I can share with my GP??

Please and Thanks!!

Jackie00
on 6/10/12 5:52 am
Was given no post op care to pass along to my GP, but my GP said he would follow up my care when I came back but failed to tell me he was leaving the practice. So new doctor comes in and he wants all these reports of my surgery which was a few months later.

I think basically if you get an operative report, a discharge summary and a list of what to follow up on you should be fine otherwise. Ask your GP what they will require in order for them to follow up your care.

I am going in this week again to my new GP to get my list of blood work once again to make sure everything is ok still at 9 months.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

justmest
on 6/10/12 6:22 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 Judging by your screen name, I am guessing we be from the same city.  I met with my GP before I went to Dr Ponce de Leon, and he was very supportive.  He had initially reffered me to the bariatric program here, but with the wait times being what they are, I chose to go to Mexico.  I set up post op appointments, to have my incisions checked, and have had bloodwork done.  My GP also ordered bloodwork pre-op so that he had something to compare to.  I have a standing order for 6 months to go for monthly bloodwork.  
Dr Ponce did not give aftercare instructions for my GP, but I didn't ask either. My Dr said before I left that he knew what to do.  So I feel comfortable with that. 
Dr Ponce gave me aftercare instructions for me, including diet and wound care etc. 
Was a fantastic experience. 

Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

goingforit1
on 6/10/12 7:30 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I went to Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negras and he gave me an operative report and a book on all the info I needed during each transition and follow up labs he suggested for my PCP once I got home. I copied the suggested labs, took them to my PCP (never discussed or got "permission" from my home Dr prior to surgery) and he said... "Mkay. Here's the lab order. Come back in two weeks to discuss."

SIMPLE AS THAT! Best of luck to ya!
frisco
on 6/10/12 7:46 am

Ummmm........

Sounds like you need to go to justmest's GP

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ND2BTHN
on 6/10/12 12:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I was pretty much in the same position you are in. My GP wasn't completely shut off of it, but wasn't very supportive either. He was willing to put through the referral for me, but that was about it. Once I mentioned my interest in Mexico he said that he thought it was best for me to find a doctor who could handle my post op care. Once I explained to him, that I really didn't require any special post op care other than lab tests at specific times to monitor my vitamin levels, he relaxed and didn't make an issue of it. I gave him the list of my vitamins and doses, and what tests I needed, and the times, from my pre-op booklet. Anything else, I just tell him what I need, like my Nexium. Other than that, he really has nothing special to do. If need be, my surgeon is willing to provide my GP of any advice if a situation was to arise. Thankfully all went well. Our drains are removed before we leave, and our stitches are dissolving, so no special care is required until your first labs are needed. You should have in your post op care booklet, incision care instructions and your post op meal guide. Just follow it to the letter, and all will be fine. 

If you are from Ontario, don't buy too much of the PPI from Mexico. They say it is cheaper there, but it was covered by my benefit plan, so I'd check to see if you can get it covered here instead too.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views