Coming up on day 3 in the hospital...

Michelle10929
on 6/13/12 5:04 pm - NC
I woke up on day 2 feeling pretty well, but then i started itching really bad from the morphine, and was given benedryl. That knocked me out for the day.. I could not keep my eyes open.

I walked twice the day of surgery, 3 times on day two, and I have got to get up and get moving more! 

I'm not doing the sip sip walk walk because my dr. said 1 ounce per hour... so I'm just going really slow w/that.

My big concern is that my oxygen is low at 89-92, and I cannot get a deep breath to save my life. I'm a little concerned there :/

I reassured my worried Mom about every single post is "Oh lord what have I done to myself" and then a month later everyone says they'd do it 100x over again. So all of my faith has been put into those comments! 
fireman441
on 6/13/12 8:13 pm - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 HELLO ,THE SAME HAPPEN TO ME ABOUT THE OXYGEN BUT I HAVE COPD IT TOOK 3 DAYS TO HIT 94 THEN DAY 4 I WAS BACK UP TO 97  SO IT WILL GET BETTER .BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ..BRUCE

morgans
on 6/13/12 9:19 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
Is the oxygen issue from the anesthesia? I had major surgery a few years ago and didn't have the shortness of breath.

TonjaTLC
on 6/13/12 11:07 pm - Southlake, TX
Hang in there, it will be better soon!
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
Karebare50
on 6/13/12 11:42 pm - Troy, NY
I was in the hospital for 4 days and was glad for the stay because my pain was a bit more than normal.  Yes, make yourself get up and walk, even if it is only to the doorway and back a few times.  It will help tremendously.  Instead of morphine, can you ask for percocet?  They gave it to me in liquid and it helped more than the morphine.  Also, did they give you a plastic breathing exerciser?  It looks like a test tube with a hse attached to it.  The goal is to take as deep a breath as you can and keep the floater within a certain range.  You need to get the anesthesia out of your lungs.  Yes, it will get better.  BE STRONG!!!!
Karebare50 Dance Like Nobody's Watching!

HW pre-surgery: 248  SW: 236

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/12 12:16 am - GA
Hang in there it will get better. :-) 
Jessica O.
on 6/14/12 2:46 am - Ann Arbor, MI
 I was also in the hospital for an extended stay, Wednesday through Sunday.  I had to get a blood transfusion.  I felt like there was a brick on my chest and it hurt to breath which was from the gas.  It went away after a month!  
But yea, that first month....dear Lord, it was hard!!  But 6 1/2 months out, smooth sailing and have never looked back :D  
Just keep the mantra "this is temporary, this is temporary.  Things will get better!"

Good luck to you and you are going to be dancing with joy in a month!

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views