Stupid Carbs in Cream Soups

kaniac
on 6/18/12 6:33 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
I get to start on soups and shakes if I pass my leak test on Wednesday but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the calories and stuff aren't bad but 12 carbs per serving. Thats 24-36 carbs a day.

Is 80 calories to 12 carbs okay?

Is there a better brand for cream soups than Campbell's?

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

ValentineCharmer
on 6/18/12 6:37 am - TX
 How much soup do you actually plan on having though?  It may be that the calories/carbs ingested on the amount you can digest is minimal.  Just a thought.

HW314 / SW292 / CW196.6 / GW175

rhearob
on 6/18/12 6:47 am - TN
 In my view, no its not OK.  You should stay away from cream & roux based soups during weight loss as a general rule and limit them in maintenance as well.

The roux is made from equal parts fat and flour.  The fat used is generally butter.  To that mixture is then added typically a heavy cream or whole milk.

You can see where that goes from there - if you are looking at a broccoli cheddar shoup - you add cheese.  More Fat and Calories (yes protein, but you have far exceeeded a good margin).

Better choices are broth or water based soups and stews.  In the puree stage you can also do greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. for better protein choices than soup.  Soup is a bad option to begin with - not enough protein for the volume.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

kaniac
on 6/18/12 6:52 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
That's the first 'food' I'm allowed to have. Its just to help me adjust to thicker foods. I'm probably overthinking this stuff. 

rhearob
on 6/18/12 6:57 am - TN
 Talk to your NUT.  I'm betting she has better options or would be OK as well with greek yogurt or Cottage Cheese.  Those were actually my first puree's.  We were also encouraged to puree dens protein in a blender with greek yogurt or other similar substance.

My first puree was thanksgiving turkey puree'd with yogurt.  The purpose of the purees is to provide more solid food with an easily digested texture so that your stomach doesn't have to work it much to make it soft enough to pass through.  You still don't want the stomach doing too much work here.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Champadoozle
on 6/18/12 6:49 am - Corpus Christi, TX
 I worried about the same thing.  You will be haivng such a small amount- one can does me four meals. Yeah, I used to have a whole can of soup plus a grilled cheese sandwhich with no problems. Wait until you see how little it takes until you are full!   
kaniac
on 6/18/12 6:54 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
WOW!! I was calculating at 1/2 a can twice a day. I didn't even think about it being less than 1/2 much less 1/4

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 7:05 am
My plan allowed for more than just cream soups to start. That said.... the Roasted Corn Chowder from Trader Joe's was phenomenal for me. Loved the taste and it's thin enough, too. The other one I liked, but not as much, was Trader Joe's Black Bean Soup. Both were fine for me on full liquids and I'd add a dolop of 0% Greek Yogurt to each (instead of sour cream) which added a bit of protein.

You'll only be getting a 1/4 cup or so down at a time and will still have to supplement with protein shakes. The minimal amount of carbs you get shouldn't be an issue. Still track to make sure you don't over shoot your daily limit.

I looked at the soups and liquids as more of a retraining for my new stomach rather than a way to get nutrition during the first two weeks. I used shakes for nutrition. Just my point of view.

Point of Reference: The first few weeks I was lucky if I got 400 calories in a day.

Moniachelle
on 6/18/12 8:42 am
VSG on 05/22/12

I had can of cream of chicken soup, after 2oz 3 times in one day i stil hab 3/4 of a can left. My sister ended up using the rest of it  in gravey for family dinner. that was really all I could eat. remember it is a condensed soup so you will add some liguid to it.

Champadoozle
on 6/18/12 7:00 am - Corpus Christi, TX
 Yep, it is pretty amazing.  I start to feel full after about six spoonfuls.  Just you wait and see- it is almost funny. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views