One clear drawback to the surgery...

morgans
on 7/10/12 2:10 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Food goes bad before you can eat it all!

I have no idea how long cottage cheese is good for after you open it. Or hummus. I can only eat about a tablespoon of each per "meal" comfortably. At this rate I'll be burning through mostly full containers of the stuff. Sadly my husband is not a fan.

If I were to start a food company it would be all about the WLS-sized portions. You could get 2oz of cottage cheese individually, little packets of hummus (like ketchup), dwarf fruits, etc.

Shagdoll
on 7/10/12 2:12 am
I looove hummus but even the smaller containers tend to go bad before I can finish them. I love to spread a little hummus on my hard boiled egg when I cut them in half. So good!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

vogue
on 7/10/12 2:12 am
VSG on 08/30/12
fortunately I have a human garbage disposal....actually 2.... we call my 11 yr old "Mikey" from the Life cereal commercials.... he will eat ANYTHING
and my 13 yr old LOVES the "weird" things kids dont normally eat, like hummus
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/12 2:15 am
As the swelling goes down and you begin to fully heal, you'll be eating quite a bit more. I'm 7 months out now and can eat "normal" sized portions - 2 oz protein, some veggies and sometimes have room for a bite of fruit or a spoonful of a healthy starch like sweet potato. The tablespoon sized portions don't last too long.
tripmom02
on 7/10/12 2:16 am - NJ
 They actually DO have small things of cottage cheese, they come in yogurt like 4 packs, I get them at Stop N Shop (which is Giant in some states). Hummus freezes well, you can put two table spoons or whatever serving you eat into ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap and freeze it, then pop them out and let them thaw in the fridge (or microwave them) as you need them! I use the icecube tray thing for MANY things. You can also do this with fresh fruits and veggies too, cut them up and freeze them individually (and they are good frozen tossed into shakes etc). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

morgans
on 7/10/12 2:38 am
VSG on 06/18/12
See - that's what I need to know - what freezes well! I will be rocking out the frozen hummus for sure. I like about 5 different kinds but obviously that would take me forever to eat.

I bought a dehydrator which I'm pretty excited about solely for stocking up on seasonal fruit and making dog treats. When I can eat my oatmeal again it'll be awesome to throw in some dried raspberries or strawberries.

And I will definitely look for individual packets of cottage cheese. It's a nice snack to have on hand anyway. I'm also going to stock up on little cartons of Parmalat. My skim milk went bad before I could drink much of any of it.

tripmom02
on 7/10/12 2:43 am - NJ
 Believe it or not, skim milk freezes extremly well! I freeze that in ice cube trays too. Almond, rice and soy milk DO NOT freeze well, learned that the hard way LOL

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/10/12 3:06 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Greek yogurt also freezes really well. Apple sauce or other sf fruit is pretty nice blended with a cube or 2 of Frozen Greek yogurt.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

ShapeShifting
on 7/10/12 3:04 am - FL
I've also seen tiny packages of Sabra Hummus at my local grocery store. I call it Yummus. So good.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.  It's time to try something new!

hwag5149
on 7/10/12 4:50 am
Thankfully, I've started "shopping" at my mom's house. I either go straight in her fridge and take stuff or I will go to the grocery store with her and when she buys things we will go to her house and take  "ME portions" and then I pay her for them. I'm a single woman so it's extremely hard to find anything that will last. The only way is if I eat the same thing for a week straight. I got sick of doing that so things started going to waste. I tried freezing food but I think that tastes really gross.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views