So nervous about post-op drain!!

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 3:54 am
My surgery has finally been scheduled for July 31st! Yay!! I'm so excited and can't wait to get started. I've done so much research and have watched so many videos on this surgery, and I'm scared and worried about only ONE thing. The post-op drain!! Can anyone tell me how badly it hurts when you get it taken out? Doesn't the skin grow around the drain? I'm so nervous!!
Ash

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/12 5:20 am
You might want to ask your surgeon about that. I had no idea about a drain and I just had mine done on the 10th. One of my friends came to visit and asked where is your drain we were looking for it but I don't have one. So you should ask if you will. I also haven't had any drainage from my wounds I'm doing fabulous. Find out first before you worry. And if you do get one girl they give you great pain meds you will be fine.
cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:40 am
Thank you for the advice. I've only gotten my date set and haven't met with my surgeon yet for the pre-op stuff. I think his nurse told my mom that I would for sure have a drain, but I will be sure to ask anyway. I guess I should remember those pain meds, haha. Thanks.
Ash

Snowberry
on 7/13/12 5:28 am, edited 7/13/12 5:29 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Not all surgeons even use a drain.  But if yours does, don't let the drain freak you out.  It IS kinda gross, but it is really no big deal.  The biggest issue I had with it was trying to hide it in my clothes when I went to work (it was lumpy!)

Having the drain doesn't really hurt.  It may bother you a little if you inadvertently pull on the tubing...but you will very quickly grow accustomed to watching for that.  If it is left in a while (mine was two weeks), your insertion point can be sore at the incision site as the skin tries to heal around it, but you won't have it in long enough for your skin to truly grow closed on it.

I was worried about having it removed too, especially because the insertion point began to get a bit sore towards the end.  But removal did not hurt at all.  My surgeon actually popped it out before I even realized it!

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:43 am
Your comment made me feel much much better, so thank you!! My surgeons nurse told my mom that I would have a drain, and from that point on I was a little worried. Hopefully mine won't be in for very long, I couldn't imagine trying to keep it hidden under clothing.

I'm glad to hear that it isn't painful. I will be sure to look out for all the things you said. I tend to be rather clumsy, so that may take some work. Good to know that the skin doesn't heal around it!

Haha, I love that! I hope my removal will be as simple. It doesn't sound too bad though. Thank  you for the reassurance!! :)
Ash

Jenfur
on 7/13/12 6:04 am
VSG on 06/25/12
They told us in pre op class to expect one and I woke up without one, the other lady who had it the same day had one but now me.  Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:44 am
Maybe I will! Let's hope so!!
Ash

Teasha1
on 7/13/12 7:05 am
VSG on 06/04/12
I had a drain and I wore underwear to hold the drain in place so it didn't pull when I walked.  As for getting it out.  They told me to take a deep breath and I kept waiting for them to take it out and it was already out.  I did not even feel it when they took it out.  So please don't worry about it.  Remember the nerves have been severed where the drain goes in just purely from the little incision so you are kind of a bit numb there and don't really feel anything there.

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:45 am
I may have to buy a pair of underwear to go higher up on my waist, because that's a good idea! This makes me feel much better, so thank you for sharing. That is true, I'll be keeping that in mind when I see the drain. I have a feeling just seeing it will make me nervous.
Ash

jubjub
on 7/13/12 7:23 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I had a drain for 3 days post op.  Removal felt like being "pinched" pretty good, but nothing intolerable.  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active