So nervous about post-op drain!!

tripmom02
on 7/13/12 7:26 am - NJ
 I had my drain for almost 2 weeks (my surgery was a little more involved then some b/c it was a revision), and it annoyed the heck out of me but it didn't hurt at all. It felt weird when they took it out, but it didn't really hurt. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:46 am
This is good news, thank you for sharing. I hope I don't have to have mine in for two weeks. From what the nurses have told me, it will be a week, but who knows until I actually have it done.
Ash

Mom2Noah
on 7/13/12 9:30 am - Bakersfield, CA
VSG on 07/05/12
I just got home from having mine removed after having it for a week and let me tell you it doesnt hurt having it removed. I was nervous too but it was over before i realized it. Just little bit of pressure from all the tubing inside but my oh my it feels so good not having it on my side anymore. You will be fine. Dont let it scare you. Not everyone gets a drain. My dr only uses one if he feels like making an extra incision as he told me lol. Hope this helps.

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 9:48 am
This is so comforting to hear, thank you!! I've had stitches removed from my stomach before from gallbladder surgery, so I'm hoping it will be similar to that. I'll try not to worry about it as much anymore. Who knows, maybe I won't get a drain at all. Thank you for this!
Ash

lizardcc
on 7/13/12 9:52 am - CA
I had a drain while I was in the hospital. They removed it before I left (3rd day?). I will tell you it felt really weird coming out and I hated having it out. Yuck!

HW 271; SW 267; GW 167    
cutesychu
on 7/13/12 11:56 am
I hope, that if I do have a drain, that it gets taken out soon. Ugh, it sounds terrible, I just hope it's over with soon!
Ash

CaseyB
on 7/13/12 10:00 am
VSG on 03/27/12
I was worried about the drain (the nurse told me that my chances where about 50%)and the lovenox shots. I lucked out with no drain, and i had a couple shots while i was in the hospital but didnt have to do them to myself. What i wasnt prepared for was not being about to pee an getting a catheter. that sucked! So try not to worry about it!

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 11:58 am
Hopefully, I won't get a drain at all, haha. Oh man, I hope I don't need a catheter, that's ten times more terrifying than a drain to me! Either way, I will try not to worry. Thank you!
Ash

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/13/12 11:33 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had a drain for 3 days and having it removed was a total non event. I barely felt it. Now the rash from the adhesive is a whole different thing - 2 weeks out and still a bit itchy. (I'm allergic to pretty much every adhesive out there)

Try to not worry about it - they don't hurt, the most discomfort I've ever heard of for the removal is JubJub's pinch. I didn't even have that - just a second of a sort of slithery feeling.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

cutesychu
on 7/13/12 11:59 am
This definitely makes me feel better, thank you. Also, sorry to hear about the adhesive. It sucks being allergic to stuff like that.

I'll try not to worry. Thank you for the advice/description!
Ash

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views