Friday is the day and nerves are setting in!

jenneferlm
on 9/18/12 7:46 am - TX
VSG on 09/21/12
My surgery is scheduled for Friday and I am sooo nervous yet excited to begin the next chapter of my life.  I just can't get past the nervousness of the surgery and the thought that something will "go wrong" during the procuedure.  My doctor keeps assuring me that everything will be fine, but the closer it gets, the more worried I get! 

Anyone have any ideas as to how to overcome these fears???

kristen D.
on 9/18/12 8:26 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
Thank you for posting this... cant wait to here answers!! I'm right with you!! (and good luck on your surgery!! hope you have a speedy and easy recovery!!)

christinahelena
on 9/18/12 10:13 am - CA
I am right there with both of you,as mine is scheduled for Oct 4 th and I know the nerves will get more intense as it gets closer and they are bad enough now! This is my attempt to "talk back" to my fears....so, I have type 2 diabetes , and the risk of heart attack and stroke is 4 x a non diabetic, so to those fears I think, I have a much better chance of escaping that fate by doing the surgery and losing wt! And if by some reason I have one of those occur on the operating table, I am in a hospital and they can help me quickly. That could happen while shopping, or home alone with my 5 year old, and in both of those cases who knows how long it would take me to get help. Then I worried about blood clots, eps pulmonary embolisms...and so I read up, and who knew that just being obese increases the risk of those too! As does flying and sitting for long periods of time. They are not common for my surgeon, and they are fatal 30 percent of their uncommon ness , so 70 percent of the time they are not. I want a risk free life, and there isn't that option. But, as I sit near an extremely mor idly obese, wheelchair bound woman at a restaurant, drinking my tea and eating my turkey bacon...I am going to take a calculated low risk and do this! I would much rather have a planned trip to the hospital than an emergency ambulance ride any day. Don't know if this helps anyone else, but I am talking back to my fears and trying to focus on all the positive stories of improved health and pounds lost! All my best to my soon to be sleeved sisters and brothers! Christina
1london
on 9/18/12 3:27 am, edited 9/18/12 3:31 am
First of all I just want to encourage you and the others having surgery in the near future...to focus more on the exciting feelings that you have of a healthier, thinner, happier you!
Being nervous is very normal, but do not let fear cloud what is on the other side of surgery and that is a wonderful new life filled with hope and a new found joy of daily living.
I felt a peace about the resolution of surgery and if you have a faith, rest in that. 
I personally had no complications with surgery and my recovery was flawless.  I walked as soon as I was out of surgery and basically have never stopped.  I exercise daily and love how it makes me feel.
I followed the Dr.'s plan and came to OH and got the support of those who had wise words to offer- such as Elina and Frisco and many others who are willing to share this journey!
You are doing something wonderful for yourself and it is a decision that will change your life for the better!  Listen to your Dr.......YOU WILL BE FINE...even better- on the way to the new and fabulous you!!
Best wishes to you and the other soon to be sleevers!

in2riden
on 9/18/12 10:50 am
VSG on 09/21/12
I'm right there with you! I am scheduled for Friday as well. Honestly though at this point I am WAY more excited than nervous. I feel like I have done my research, found the right doc, and don't want to put this off anymore!

Personally I just focus on how much better my quality of life will be and how I will feel in 6 months. Surgery of any kind has its risks but to me continuing on the path I am on has a lot more...

irishlady1950
on 9/18/12 2:34 pm
I just had "the vertical sleeve" done on August 27th. (3 wks. ago yesterday).  I went back to the surgeon today...and I'm doing very well!!!  18 lbs. down....BMI from 40 to 36.1....very happy and proud of myself.  Indeed it is a "journey" bcause it changes you not only physically, but mentally, spiritually. 
I'd luv to correspond with others that are anticipating their surgery in the near future and help them out with their ?'s or concerns if I can....
I also have ?'s for what the future may hold for me...how I have to keep my determination up,
as well as making good food choices.  The one thing I am struggling with right now...is that I am always feeling hungry...still!!!

Hope to hear from anyone that I can either help...or they might be able to help me!
Take care, Marianne
Empress726
on 9/18/12 12:39 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 09/20/12

I am scheduled for Thursday 9/20 and I am more excited than  nervous.  I have been through various surgeries but none to the abdomen so surgery and anesthesia doesn't scare me. The risk associated with medical procedures are in the back of my mind and I have made my peace with them.
I am just ready to start a new chapter of my life. 
I have bought all my juices and liquids.  Baby spoons, cups and bowls.
I even have plans to go to  sonic for crushed ice. I bought a new bedside table similar to the one in a hospital ,so can sit comfortably and work on my laptop.
I have my dissolving gas-x strips, biotene, and large undies for the hospital.

I hope your nerves subside to the joy of starting a new way of eating and getting healthier. We deserve health and longevity.

"Our Deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"
Empress

T M.
on 9/18/12 12:46 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 09/20/12
On September 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM Pacific Time, jenneferlm wrote:
My surgery is scheduled for Friday and I am sooo nervous yet excited to begin the next chapter of my life.  I just can't get past the nervousness of the surgery and the thought that something will "go wrong" during the procuedure.  My doctor keeps assuring me that everything will be fine, but the closer it gets, the more worried I get! 

Anyone have any ideas as to how to overcome these fears???
Thank you for posting. I'm scheduled for Thursday and am a nervous wreck. Good luck to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views