Living Life in Cusco Peru

AzureAurora
on 9/23/12 10:14 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 Hi everyone

I haven't been on here much lately. As of July 31 I quit my job to travel for a year. I have been through  northern British Columbia, the Yukon and a few hours in Alaska. Back to BC and Jasper National park to experience my first white water rafting and hiking in some of Canada's most picturesque scenery. Followed by a week long hiking tour of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon. Amazing and spectacular are such inadequate words. Finished off with 4days in Vegas seeing some great shows and spending way too much money LOL. Then off on the next leg of my journey which saw long layovers in Houston, Bogata Columbia and Lima Peru. I finally arrived in Cusco after being awake for 60 hours.:D

I am settling into Cusco getting used to some things like the fact that pedestrians do not have the right of way. And cars do travel down narrow streets which necessitates jumping onto sidewalks and into doorways to let them pass and crossing a major street is very interesting indeed. My 'street smarts' are getting much better. There is no central heat or ho****er.

I haven't been on a scale for three weeks and won't be until I get back to Canada around November 19th but that is ok. Jam having problems getting more Protien in than carbs but my calories per daycare still good.

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

AzureAurora
on 9/23/12 3:24 pm, edited 9/23/12 11:07 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Cusco is on a hillside so I walk lots everyday up hill and upstairs from where I am living to the main market plaza and to see the historical sites. I am volunteering at an international cafe, as a waitress/barista, all proceeds go to support local charities. Also helped at an after school program in a poorer neighborhood and I have taken a couple of Spanish lessons already, it has been a busy six days. Today was my day off so I explored the inside of an adobe church constructed in the 1600's with the most incredible frescos and ornate baroque style alter you have ever seen. Then I went to the Sacsayhuaman ruins and walked and climbed all over them, at over 12000ft elevation. A year ago I could not have done this. I don't know what I weigh now and won't know for another two months but I know my sleeve has helped change my life for the better. I love being able to explore and experience historical sites, archaeology, cultures and language. My sleeve has helped me fulfill the desires of my heart and my brain. I love my sleeve.

Have a wonderful week everyone
Julie 

Queen Koosa
on 9/24/12 3:49 am
WOW sounds like the trip of a life time.  The freedom to do things that we could have never done before is such a great gift.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Paul5678
on 9/24/12 12:02 am - United Kingdom
Great to hear this success story.  Enjoy!
frisco
on 9/24/12 2:08 am

Sounds like a great adventure !!!!!

100 less pounds makes it a lot easier dodging all those cars !!!!

Have a great trip !!!!

Pics !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

AzureAurora
on 9/25/12 8:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Yes,  dodging cars is much easier now LOL? I had a great workout walking to and from the grocery store today after I participated in a two hour walking/hiking tour of Cusco. 

Lisa1023
on 9/24/12 5:36 am
VSG on 03/05/13
 Quitting a job to tour the globe for a year?  I couldn't get past that first sentence.  My husband and I both work full time and can't afford a weeks vacation.   I can't wrap my head around it.   Brain surgeon?  Daughter of an almighty sultan pErhaps
AzureAurora
on 9/24/12 6:01 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 Nope neither. I spent most of my life as a struggling single Mom. My son left home then my young daughter decided to live with her Dad and I was suddenly an empty nester ... Way too early and it nearly broke me. It seemed a house without children was not a home so...what was the point of working to support this empty building. I always loved history, geograpy and archaeology and dreamed of travelling but I was a young Mom and never had the opportunity. I went to Mexico for vacation two years ago by myself which started the wheels of change rolling. My friends were not financially able to join me and prince charming did not appear. So I decided to do it alone. Came back from Mexico and put my house up for sale. Then it took a year and a half to sell. At one point I had an offer, and sold all of my furniture putting the rest in storage. Then the deal fell through, I lived in my empty house for a year with nothing more than a bed, laptop, some paper plates and dollar store cutlery. This also helped me realize how very little we really need in life to survive, that I don't need to shop and has certainly prepared me for living out of a suitcase for a year in various living conditions. Basically, no I am not wealthy I sold my home to finance this trip, I am debt free but do not have a huge travel budget. I am fairly young. 48, I have my health and this opportunity now, when I get back I will have to go back to work. Not sure if I will own a house again but I will have had amazing experiences, seen the heritage sites I want to see and have incredible memories and learn a new language and a whole lot of survival skills. You can't take it with you. Just do it!! After I go back to Canada in Nov, too renew my passport, I am off to Mexico for nine months or until the money runs out. 

Lisa1023
on 9/24/12 6:10 am
VSG on 03/05/13
 Wow, we'll definitely enjoy every moment.  You have certainly earned this.  I was picturing paris Hilton, someone living the good life off her grandfathers back!  I see I was wrong.  
how admirable.  
AzureAurora
on 9/25/12 8:55 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thank you
Best wishes on your journey

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views