You can't beat me up more than I beat me up for this one

jenngirl
on 9/24/12 5:53 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I know I am going to get bashed for this one, and I am so mad at myself, but the other night, I ate a whole small serving of Wendy's chilli. I should not be able to eat that much! It's like eight ounces! I was miserable for a long time afterwards and felt like vomitting, but the damage was done, I was so hungry I couldn't stop myselft. I wonder why my full meter never came on while I was eating.  I hardly ever get full like in the beginning. Mind you, it was on a day where I barely ate anything all day because of my work schedule, but I am worried about the damage that a binge like that could do to my sleeve. Anyone else ever do something like this? How can you tell when your sleeve is doing it's job if you aren't getting that "full" sensation?

CatahoulaLover
on 9/24/12 5:59 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
I try to never get the "full" sensation my sleeve gives me. If I hit that then I've gone too far and I feel miserable. I just measure out my food and only eat that portion. But then again I rarely feel true hunger.

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/24/12 6:02 am
 I just ate myself to the edge of sickness with 2oz of sashimi.... I wish I had eaten half of your chili.
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 6:03 am
Okay, I'm not condoning your chili feast, but I want to make a few points:

1. You were over hungry. We tend not to make sound decisions when we are over hungry.

2. Wendy's chili is not a solid food. It's more like a puree with a lot of liquid. It's not going to fill you up the same as a piece of solid, dense protein. I can eat 3/4 cup of greek yogurt and a 1/4 cup of blue berries, BUT I can only eat about 2.75-3.0 ounces of dense meat protein.

3. You are practically three months out. Probably no damage from one meal, physically. It's the emotional fall out and slippery slope you have to deal with now. Be prepared for a bit of an emotional couple of days. You may even have some cravings or not feel satisfied on a regular portion.

4. You are three months out. Your nerve endings are not fully healed (will take up to a year for some). You may also be getting a bit of mild hunger back. Who knows..... That's why it's still so important to measure your portions.

Now is the time to regroup and reset! Get back on track and stop relying on your sleeve to give you a full feeling. My full feeling is SO DIFFERENT  from what it was pre sleeve. I still weigh and measure everything I prepare. If I eat out, I UNDEREAT for fear of over eating!

You'll be fine!
jenngirl
on 9/24/12 6:08 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Thank you Kairk. I know you always have good sound advice. I will be more careful in the future.

econtiff
on 9/24/12 7:39 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
Good advice!
Sinlaila
on 9/24/12 6:07 am - WA
VSG on 06/12/12

Been there, done that.  I was so miserable afterwards. It has nothing to do with hunger.  It's not what you are eating, it's what's eating you.  Look back and try to determine what caused you to do it and deal with that issue.  Stop beating yourself up over the past and figure out what you will do differently in the future.  What works for me is to always stick to very dense protein first.  After I eat at least 2 ounces of protein, I allow myself a few bites of veges or a bite of fruit.  As long as I follow that plan, I do okay.  If I deviate, I have to fight myself not to overdo it.
jenngirl
on 9/24/12 6:11 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Thank you Sinlaila, that is what I would normally do. I acutually do need to buy some scales and measure out my portions, and continue to ALWAYS go with dense proteins first!!  

rhearob
on 9/24/12 6:57 am - TN

Jenn,

We have all been there.  I have a post from back in june or so about my fall with some french fries and having to flush them down the toilet to stop myself.  Find it for a good laugh.  I would beat you up if you were showing no intention to learn from your behavior or were dismissive of it.  In this case, I am going to say good job.  You may not have made the best choice, but you will next time.

My motto - the only failure is a failure to learn.  What did you learn from this experience?

1.  Keep to some sort of eating schedule so that you don't get over hungry.  Find a high protein low carb meal replacement bar (During WL I would try to have NuGo SMarte Carb bars when I could find them, in Maintenance I carry quest bars when I travel) or cheese sticks or something like that to have near you.

2.  You aren't going to necessarily get that full feeling, like Kairk said, from slider foods.  You also won't feel full if you eat too fast - which as hungry as you were you may have been.  The full feeling is more like a fill valve than a light switch.  When you feel full, you have already gone too far.  Foamies are 1 or two bites away.  For me I learned other subtle signs of being full - my nose starting to run or a slight gurgling.  If I am at home I just eat my measured portion and stop.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

jenngirl
on 9/24/12 7:20 am
VSG on 06/25/12
This was one of those days I had worked from 8:30am to 11pm. (Yes, those hours are correct, I work two jobs). I picked up the chilli on the way home. from job #2, and scarffed it down. Then fell asleep in the recliner immediately after (another no-no).  I was so exhausted. I woke up choking (from the "foamies" working their way up I assume. I never really knew what foamies were, but I guess that is it. I was so sick and couldn't stop choking. I DEFINITELY learned from this mistake. No more eating late, and no more skipping meals.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views