Introducing myself and feeling great 5 days post surgery

lillypie9
on 11/6/12 1:34 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

Just wanted to step in to say hi--I've been a lurker for a while. I've really appreciated everyone's posts which helped me prepare both practically and mentally for my sleeve.

My surgery was November 2 (after being rescheduled from October 30 due to Sandy.)

I have to say that this whole experience has been unexpectedly easy so far. I was a self-pay so my biggest concern was complications that would have necessitated a longer hospital stay and could have meant financial ruin for my family.

Because of this I was very motivated to do everything my surgeon recommended--walking, spirometer, fluids, etc. My one big moment of stupidity was taking a normal bite of jello the night after my surgery and sitting there fighting off the dry heaves, thinking wait a minute, you're in a hospital after having most of your stomach removed--focus!

I don't know if doing everything by the book helped but I really feel great comparatively. I haven't taken anything for pain since leaving the hospital, am having no trouble getting the necessary amount of fluids and protein and felt well enough today to take my dogs for our usual 30 minute walk.

After dreading taking Isopure due to so many negative reviews here, I find that I actually don't mind the taste at all. I mean, compared to the barium I had to swallow for my leak test, it's Dom Perignon. I do get a bit gurgly after drinking, but once I remembered that straws and VGSs don't play well together, I've been a lot less gassy, duh.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the info and support that's available here as I begin this process and also to getting to know everybody. 

synthangel
on 11/6/12 1:51 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

How is your incision pain? I am still really sore on the left side. I quit taking the loratab the day after I got released so I have been med free for a few days. 

lillypie9
on 11/6/12 2:09 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

My incision pain was moderate the day I got home from the hospital. Today my biggest complaint is the mild rash I have from the bandages that were covering the steri-strips. It is starting to itch like crazy.

vabella
on 11/6/12 5:21 pm - TX

so glad to here you are doing so great.  We all hope ours goes as smooth as yours did.  keep us updated on how your doing . Im counting down to Monday. 

jen

Nancybefree
on 11/6/12 7:02 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Happy to hear that you are doing so well!  Thanks so much for sharing your experiences thus far.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Christine Heusinger
on 11/6/12 7:54 pm - GA

Wow! It was great to hear how well you are doing! I've not had my surgery yet so I love reading posts like yours. Welcome to the forum!

lillypie9
on 11/6/12 11:27 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

I think I was motivated to post because I was having such a positive experience and I think people tend to post when things aren't going well (as they should, for the support). I wanted to let people that getting sleeved isn't inevitably fraught with problems. Reading proportionately more posts where people were having problems really increased my anxiety pre-surgery.

MuttLover
on 11/6/12 8:30 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Great to hear you are doing so well.  Keep us posted on your progress! 

SandyFromNJ
on 11/6/12 8:44 pm

It is wonderful to hear that you are doing well in five days.   I am day 3 and I am not doing terrible but I would not say that I am well yet.    Congrats!   SandyfromNJ

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/6/12 10:15 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

Congratulations and Welcome!! So glad to hear you're doing well. Sounds like you have figured out what you need to do and are sticking to it. Be sure to use the search button here for any help or just ask in the forum. This site really helped me and without it I wouldn't be a success I'm sure. I'm not on as much now as I was before and immediately after my surgery. You'll find that as life becomes more fun to live in a healthier body and that your time at the computer may dimini****ry to get on here at least a couple times a week to help 'pay forward' the help I received. (Sometimes - like now - I sneak a few minutes in at work to check on everyone - lol). Anyway, keep up the good work and we're here if you need us. I'm not a seasoned vet, just 5 months out but couldn't be happier with my success and I owe the majority of it to this site and the wonderful people on here!!

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views