day 5 post op and still miserable!

jan1114
on 11/25/12 10:11 pm

It's day 5 and I'm still in quite a bit of pain.  Its ok if I'm just sitting but once I stand my side hurts terribly.  I'm having trouble getting in enough fluids and to be honest I'm downright scared something is terribly wrong.  Everyone else on here seemed to feel pretty good by day 5, not me! I'm worried about a blood clot, worried about internal bleeding and needing another transfusion, worried about getting dehydrated.  When will I just feel normal again?  The pounds are coming off but I'm worried it's just because I'm getting dehydrated!  Anyone else here have a difficult recovery? I find myself crying every day out of fear and regret.

doggz109
on 11/25/12 10:34 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12

You should not be in pain.......it keeps you from getting in enough fluids, being active (walking), and impedes recovery.  This is why they send you home with pain meds.  Are you taking them?  If not....start....or ask your doc for some. 

You are right to be worried about dehydration.....its easy to start and it just builds on itself....you get nauseous which makes you just not want to drink any at all.   It's tough at the start....you just had a major organ hacked in half and removed five days ago.  You still have anesthesia in your system.

Drinking and walking should be your full time job right now....focus....and if you are in pain....get some pharmaceutical help!

jan1114
on 11/25/12 11:26 pm
The pain medication is part of what makes me feel nauseated. As soon as I take it I get sick so I doubt I'm keeping any of it down. I pretty much make sure I'm moving and walking a bit each hour but I can barely get in enough fluids without it hurting. Something just doesn't seem right.
wilsont429
on 11/26/12 12:02 am - IN

Call your Dr. and let them know what is going on. You may just need a good dose of fluids. You are crying all the time. That needs to be addressed too. I've not had my surgery yet, I am on Dec. 5th. I've followed a lot of stories on here. I do know from what I have learned that if you don't feel right, you are in pain and crying and feeling down, you need to talk to someone like your surgeon. hang in there. You will get through this. You've just had a major surgery. It's drastic. But it's also going to do you wonders for your new life. For now, concentrate on getting your pain under control and your thoughts as well. Hope this helps.

Tammy

emelar
on 11/26/12 12:23 am - TX

Buyers remorse - even the crying - is pretty normal.  Even some pain is normal.  Not everyone has an easy recovery.

Having said that, call your doctor and describe the pain to them.  See if they can give you a different pain med that won't make you nauseous.  And if you need IV fluids, get them.  Getting dehydrated isn't going to make things any better.

Even though it's laparascopic surgery, it's still surgery.  They had to punch through your abdominal wall several times to get the equipment in.  And then they sew those holes up.  A lot of times, the pain you're feeling is from the repair job where the equipment was.  But only your doc is going to be able to tell you for sure.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way!

Nancybefree
on 11/26/12 12:46 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Very true.  My doc explained, when I asked him why my right side hurt so much more than my left, that he had pulled my stomach out through the right side.  He said that most people had more and longer pain there.

Once I understood the reason, I was much better with dealing with it.  The same thing applied to the gas release problem.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nancybefree
on 11/26/12 12:42 am, edited 11/26/12 12:43 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yes, please call your doctor.  You may need some help with symptoms, and you definitely sound as if you need some reassurance. 

Please try to walk as often as you are able. 

I'm postop day 5 as well, and only yesterday did I get all of my 64 ounces of fluid in for the first time -- plus one more just because.  I fought for it.

We have to take care of ourselves and continue to build upon on the good work that our surgeons did. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

suzie2241
on 11/26/12 3:14 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I had my surgery on Nov 2. It took quite a few days for it not to hurt to drink water.  I had to take extremely small sips.

I would definitely call your doctor and describe the pain you are having.  Also ask him for anti-nausea medicine. Mine had me take it for about a week after my surgery.

Do you have a drain? That caused me a lot of discomfort. Once that was out, woo hoo, I felt so much better.

Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon!

jan1114
on 11/26/12 3:55 am

No I don't have a drain.  I'm still so bloated, I know I will more comfortable when that goes down.  I do have an appointment tomorrow morning with my regular doctor to check my blood count etc.  Then I have an appointment with my surgeon Wednesday afternoon.  Once I get the all clear from them I'll feel more confident that there is nothing wrong.  I've got a lot of time to sit here and think about all the twinges and little pains I'm feeling.

suzie2241
on 11/26/12 10:07 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

I was bloated for a while too. So uncomfortable. Good luck at your appointments.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views