tummy problems help! 5 days out

jan1114
on 11/26/12 12:08 pm

I had my surgery last Wednesday.  I've been having trouble getting in enough fluids but have found that I  can tolerate sugar free popcicles, a little gatorade and that's about it.  However, yesterday and today I've been having a lot of cramping and diarrhea.  Is this "dumping" or just normal for 5 days out?  It's pretty miserable, I'm hoping it stops pretty soon.  Has this happened to anyone else?  How did you get it to stop?  UGH!!!

lillypie9
on 11/26/12 12:11 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

Was this the first time you'd eaten sugar free popsicles? I ask because I had them for the first time when I was on clear liquids pre-op and the sweeteners in them gave me horrible diarrhea. Check the label for sorbitol and/or mannitol.

dcsabrina
on 11/26/12 7:52 pm - MD

I definitely have that every time I try anything with any real sugar or much of the -"ol" fake sugars.For example, I tried mixing just a quarter cup of egg nog in with one of my protein shakes - very bad idea. I've had more or less diarrhea since about day 3 or 4 but the cramping only comes with the sugar - again, even a tiny bit (so have a look at that Gatorade too - if it's not G2 or the lower sugar kind, that could be contributing). While it doesn't feel nice, on the silver lining side, if it keeps up once I go to foods, a little negative reinforcement might be just the  ticket to keep me off those simple carbs no

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

suzie2241
on 11/26/12 10:39 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

I had the same problem with diarrhea for first week.  Also had a problem getting fluids in. Popsicles worked for me as well (I only ate 1 or 2 a day). After the week, it stopped. I think it's mostly because I started a modified liquid diet (blended soups). They say "liquid in/liquid out"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views