Obesity and glorifying it on TV: Honey Boo Boo

pineview01
on 1/7/13 12:20 pm - Davison, MI

To each there own.  I can't find any redeeming value in the exploitation of the child.  The only way I heard of the show was from people saying exactly what the OP reported people would say.  I have noticed the adds since.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bigred_z
on 1/8/13 11:26 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Let me clarify, Honey Boo Boo doesn't offend me.  Very little offends me b/c I am very much aware that there are just as many opinions as there are ppl.  Plus, allowing a TV personality to direct my thoughts, behavior, well that would be insane. 

To the poster who scoffed b/c she thought HBB offended me, but the term "tarded" did not.  See above, and no "tarded " does not offend me and here is why.

I was 14 years old when Jeremy, my kid brother who has Down Syndrome, was born.  My mom tells my sister and I, you will have to stop using that word b/c of your brother.  I said, "Why?  He is going to hear it all his life.  At school, in class, on the playground...at least if he hears it at home, he won't think anything of it.  It's just another word his sisters call each other."  God knows mental retardation is enough to single him out.  And you know what, one of the funniest things I have ever heard is Jeremy himself looking at us, shaking his head and saying, "You're tarded!." 

Anyway, that's the way we played it.  And it has worked out well.  Jeremy thrives with excellent self esteem.  He has been known to slip a girl his number with a casual over the shoulder, "Call me babe", as he walks out the door.  He is truly an amazing kid.  Well, he is 27 years old now, but he will always be a kid to me. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Lisa J.
on 1/9/13 6:55 am - OK

I am thoroughly disgusted by HBB and her mom. Period. IT IS morbid fascination, there is no doubt. It doesn't matter if it's Storage Wars--watching them all trying to best each other or drain each other's cash wad--, or Swamp People: first deciphering Cajun-speak, then killing alligators (I mean, come on, that's sooooo repetetive.....at least storage lockers are different! wink) I find it incredible what kinds of freaks and geeks are being documented these days, and I guess it takes all kinds of freaks and geeks to watch them or they wouldn't be available to watch anyway, right?

Makes you really notice how mean people are in the REAL WORLD and how little we actually do accept and tolerate folks different than the norm. That's all on the big network channels with big budgets and audience.

To that, I still think "to each his own". God Bless America. That chubby little girl won't have to pay for college but dang, she's gonna have to deal with a LOT of crap as she gets older...like we don't all deal with crap....but geez......

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
jdance
on 1/28/13 5:09 am - Canada

Good post. Here's my take on reality TV.

It's so over done, I'm sick of. Most of it's all scripted now anyway.

as for American Idol. Simons been gone for a few seasons now, and yes, I always hated it when he laid into a contestant but he was always right. But I don't agree with them putting terrible singers on the show in the first place,but it's all about ratings. I do love to watch the legitimate singers.

As for Honey BooBoo.... I've never seen it, just the promos and wouldn't waste my time watching  it. I hate seeing people being exploited.Whether they are a happy family or not, the people at TLC aren't stupid and know that the ratings will be there because people like to watch others to laugh at them, or thank their lucky starts they aren't like that. Eg. Swamp people. come on man..... 

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/13 12:23 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On January 8, 2013 at 6:33 AM Pacific Time, bigred_z wrote:

I will start by saying I am not A FAN OF REALITY TV!!!  Case in point...American Idol.  Aren't ppl mean enough as it is?  Do we really need Simon to absolutely demoralize and dehumanize everyone up for grabs?  All for a voyeuristic mean spirited audience?  I think NOT!  So this is why I do no****ch crap like that. 

In defense of those who do...I say Star Search!!  Remember that show?  They actually looked for talent.  Period.  They didn't intentionally entice ****ty talent just so they could feed on their lack of talent for the vulturistic audience who could feed on the fact that these losers were losers.  Ppl are mean enough.  We do not need a show that glorifies ******** (Simon) being mean to the talentless.

Anhoo...in that vein...what are your thoughts on the latest reality show Honey Boo Boo.  Do we really need some low rent hick family on TV?  It simply rewards and glorifies all that is ignorant, stupid, and clueless.  We all fought hard against obesity and have failed.  Until we sought a solution.  We all are in various stages against that fight. 

Is it right to reward this fat lil girl? In a sense rewarding her for an unhealthy obese lifestyle by giving her a TV show?  Are we really THAT depraved of quality entertainment?  Or maybe it's simply morbid fascination.    I think it's crap.  Pure, unadulterated crap.  I think it's also a shameful commentary on what we think is entertainment.  Might as well go out and poke a stick at the local harelip, cripple, freak, whatever have you. 

Your thoughts?

Wait..." Aren't ppl mean enough as it is? " and yet you just called a child fat ???

Yes, the show is exploiting the entire family, but I see more then a " fat child. " I see a close-knit family, who love and support one another. I see a family who actually spends time with each other and enjoys talking to one another.

I find it ironic that you create a post about " mean ppl " on an unmoderated forum specifically designed by OH to keep mean **** off the Main Forums. You went looking for " mean " yet you cry,

" Aren't ppl mean enough as it is? "

" All for a voyeuristic mean spirited audience? "

WTF

MissCurves
on 3/15/13 4:57 pm, edited 3/15/13 4:59 pm
RNY on 03/26/13

I love reality Tv... BUT it depends on the show. I REFUSE to increase that shows ratings. I  was so turned off by the commerial, I never even watched it for 5 mins. Garbage TV ... And WTF. Anderson Cooper respected journalist/Tv host is a big fan of that garbage and talks about her often, I thought he had more class then that!

Jackie McGee
on 3/17/13 3:09 am - PA

So Honey Boo Boo is a fat, spoiled little girl with poor eating habits and a less than intelligent mother.

So what? Most of the women on this site can relate to those things, am I right? That's why most of us had weight loss surgery: we were rewarded with food given to us by mothers who didn't know any better.

She's a cute girl. Who knows, maybe she'll watch the show as a teenager and learn a few things from her actions on the show. 

Hell, we were able to learn proper eating habits as adults post-surgery, right? Maybe she'll be able to do that, too. Give her some time and hold off on judging her until she's an adult and able to know better.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views