Slipping back into bad habits!

Ms Shell
on 3/26/13 7:40 am - Hawthorne, CA

I am and will ALWAYS be a social drinker life of the party AT goal.  I not so recently regain and am BATTLING to get back down.  Well low and behold my friend had a birthday party and well she's currently upset because the life of the party didn't show up.  I opted to stay at home.

I told my friends today MY order of importance is

1) God
2) Me
3) Family
4) Friends

I choose me and until I'm at goal will continue to.

Ms Shell

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 8:03 am - NJ

Well said Miss Shell! Thank you.

loverofcats
on 3/26/13 11:36 am

You are so amazing and wise. -:)

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

christinahelena
on 3/26/13 7:42 am - CA

I think too, we have to really think about our social situations and pick and choose carefully.  I was rolling right along and then went to my beloved Disneyland for our anual trip... had all the right things planned for myself at 6 weeks post op-  looking back I think it wasnt a good choice- mentally got me a bit derailed watching others eating fried  and hamburgers and onion rings- slipped and had a bite of cookie-  because vacation and food always went together- I was "treating myself" cause I was on vacation.  Now one bite of cookie in itself not the devil-  but it stopped some momentum internally.

Then was the chinese New Years party where I stuck to chicken... but ate three times as much as I should have by grazing my way through the night..... because it was a party, because it tasted good, because I could....

Hubby has special box seats to the Sharks hockey game tomorrow night- taking our one son, asked if I want to go.  I said no precisely because the box is full of food.... food that I know I cannot handle right now.

I'm losing very slowly, have to take stock of all my choices/decisions, and cannot afford to be derailed. If I were in maintinance I would maybe allow myself one of these situations once every couple of months..... but I've got 30# to go and I cannot afford a bite of this and that for 3 hours, and cannot trust myself to abstain completely- so I will choose to not go.

I think this is a great thread that is very pertinent to us all.... how many special occassions will we allow for? How hard to stay away and how hard to get back on track?  I've always thought that is what would make us all rich- right?  Its not  if you never cheat or go off plan-  but successful people dont do it often and have an amazing ability to get back on track- if I could bottle that ability and sell it Id be a millionare!  I seem to have two modes- really on track or really off track- and derailment for me involves an excrutiating difficulty getting back on track-I've always been that way.  I envy the people who can splurge for one meal and then get back on track, I fear I will always be someone who , if I splurge, will pay for it with a 5 pound regain and a week of trying before I can tame the beast again.

For me, I'm going to choose to stay away from tempting social situations until at goal.  And since my whole house is a tempting situation- I think I need to get serious about de toxing my house for now ( or take an extended leave of absence from home... Hawaii maybe??? lol) -the first three months at home I had the control of steel to stay away-  now its harder to not have just a bite.

I dont like alcohol, so I guess one blessing (well- I love a good margarita but havent had one in 7 years due to pregnancy, breastfeeding then diabetes... then surgery).

Best of luck to you-sounds like you learned something about yourself and that is what this journey is all about- figuring our selves out!

Christina

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 8:09 am - NJ

Thank you. Yes I have learned plenty lol. I am trying to get back on track still. Craving food is for the birds! Let's go to Hawaii! lol

Keith L.
on 3/26/13 10:46 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I can tell you without a doubt it is the booze that is causing the cravings and the protein bar probably is not helping. I too have had a couple occasions of late where some alcohol was consumed and for days after I found myself wanting to eat. I have verified this now on three separate occasions. They way I have dealt with it twice now is a 24 hour fast. For one the scale will certainly move, although it will not be permanent and second I am not even a little bit hungry the day after a fast.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 4:57 pm - NJ
I did go back to basics. Three 2oz protein only meals and a protein shake. Hopefully the hunger surpasses!
simmie78
on 3/26/13 2:24 pm

Glad you posted this - I was prepping a similar post.  Social drinking derailed me for about a month.  Between work trips with client entertaining, out of town visitors and dating - once the social drinking got started I was on a roll - it felt so good to to out - felt like celebrating 55 lbs gone - getting attention, dancing, dating - just having a good ole time.  It was much needed stress relief from a work life balance that was so out of control it was ridiculous - but then, about 3 weeks ago, my work stress slowed down - life has been quieter (and will be for the next two weeks) and to avoid boredom/depression/being in the house - I made up for it by going out - slippery slope!  Various amounts of drinking and off plan eating - eating was mostly good but drinking could range from a glass to way more.

I still managed to lose about 15 pounds in the last 4 weeks, but it would have been more without the drinking.  My eating habits during the day are good and even when we eat out - I eat appetizer sized protein (I also live in Asia so portions are 50% the size of the US anyway) - it's the restriction for me that's really the benefit because I really can't eat like I would have in the past when drinking/carousing!  I curbed the drunk eating pretty well and since I walk so much (in HK you walk everywhere) and kept exercising that cleary helped.  That being said I did go on a bread kick when I was traveling and the transferred back to life at home...that's been removed from my life as of Sunday.

Anyway - while some of it sounds like an excuse, the moral is that I would have lost more weight and I get it.  I feel like I got the shenanigans out of my system for a while.  I've never subscribed to the theory that I shouldn't drin****il goal - my dr isn't a fan of that either, he's a fan of moderation and told me several times that I can't lock myself down and not be social - BUT he clearly did not mean drinking like prohibition was going to hit Hong Kong any minute and - CLEARLY if I was good a moderation I wouldn't be here. So here's to recommitting to doing better about controlling moderation and keeping my head in the game - focused on the goal...which seems so close, yet still so far away. 

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 5:05 pm - NJ
Thanks for sharing! It definitely helps me get motivated to get back on track. Im not saying I will not make this mistake again, but at least I know what to expect and with that I can make better decisions!
simmie78
on 3/26/13 5:56 pm

Totally...and honestly there are others of us out there who have been in the same boat - motivation all around! ;-)

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views