Birth control after VSG

Edelge
on 3/26/13 1:36 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

I had my PREOP appt at the surgeons office today and they asked me what birth control I was on.  I said the pill and she said I would need to use alternate birth control.  I asked if she had us stop because of the risk of clots and she said no, that minimal.  Its that there have been no studies on the amount of the hormones that are absorbed after VSG when you take the pill.  She said she has seen too many women get pregnant a few months after surgery and that she advises all her patients to use a different form.  So hubby has an appt to be snipped while I'm getting my 2 week checkup :)

My question is this- has anyone else's doctor told them not to use the pill because it might not be as effective?  Or we're you only told to go off it because of the risk of clotting?

I see just a few posts down from this yet another oops, pregnant post and am wondering if this is something doctors aren't making clear to patients.

horrible_monster
on 3/26/13 2:30 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

That's really interesting. I've never heard anything about this. I feel like my surgeon's office asked if I was taking any birth control--maybe because I told them we use barrier methods rather than hormonal, I didn't get this warning. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

MrsPapaBear
on 3/26/13 5:02 pm
No word on other surgeons' advice, but I use natural family planning methods (the pill makes me CCRRAAAAZZZYYYY) and it works like a gem!

I just checked out a book called 'Natural Birth Control' from the library, bought a $10 basal body temp thermometer from the drugstore, and went to town. Now, I know when I'm fertile, when I'm not, when I'm early, when I'm late, everything We just use barrier methods on fertile days and we are Scott-free the rest of the month!

I know this was off-topic a little, but I hope it helps
Jls8877
on 3/26/13 10:36 pm
My Mother-in-law used this method too. She had 8 kids
I'm teasing (she really did use this and had 8 kids), it was their choice. I just always smile when I think about this. NFP can work great as long as you are consistent with charting and understand your body.
MrsPapaBear
on 3/27/13 1:31 am
Ha totally true! That's why the pill is so great - no work!! But, it's a great thing o learn about your body (my favorite part personally) and it makes it so you don't feel like you have to use a condom everytime you're romantic - only when you are actually likely to conceive. (I think adding the barrier method is what makes it effective for us - many ppl won't use any bc for personal reasons, but the plain truth is that you are more in the mood the more fertile you are, so willpower alone isn't great birth control. Hence, 8 kids LOL)
Crabadams72
on 3/26/13 9:57 pm - Silver Spring, MD
You will become extra fertile during the rapid weight loss stage. There is a huge release of hormones during that time. All I can suggest is 2 forms of BC. I already had a tubal do I was not concerned.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Jenfur
on 3/26/13 10:27 pm
VSG on 06/25/12

I had to be off the pill for a month before and after surgery just to reduce the clotting risk even more but nothing was mentioned about effectiveness.  I know you need to be very careful to use everything correctly because you will become more fertile as you lose weight.  I just switched from the pill that I've been on for 20 years to Mirena and I asked thy Gyn and she said there shouldn't be any issues, especially now that I'm losing slower and only have about 40 lbs to go.

Latse
on 3/26/13 11:49 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

My surgeon also asked about what form of birth control my husband and I use.  I have an IUD, the surgeon was happy with that and made mention something about if it was BC pills that he would have suggested the IUD or some other form of BC.  I think the reason why he asked is because of the hormones and the rapid weight lose you can be more fertile.  While some people like that side effect of VSG, I don't want any more babies :)

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

zra
on 3/27/13 12:15 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I specifically asked about this since I had seen it discussed here. My surgeon said the pill was fine, so that's what I'm continuing to do.

HW: 363  SW: 340  

a_gritters
on 3/27/13 7:15 am
VSG on 03/19/13

Really hope it is truly "fine" as I'm on the pill as well and had never had a physician say anything about it.  Other than the nurse in the hospital tell me that with the anti biotic to be safe for a month.

HW 315; Surgery Date 3/19/13, SW 300.5;  PreOp: 14.9, W1-4: 21.2, W5-8: 15, W9-12: 13.4, W13-16:

Most Active