more info on my surgery

tia47
on 4/5/13 9:19 am - cleve, OH
I just had my last surgeons visit. My surgery is sched for April 10 @ 12 noon. He will b taking out my 10 yr old band and sleeping ...sleeving me. If I'm doing well under anesthetic and hasn't taken too long, he will remove gall bladder too. Otherwise I'll b back in surgery for gb in 8 weeks.
He uses the 34f bougie, 5-6 centimeters above(?) The pyloric valve. His practice doesn't double sew the staple line but uses peri strips over entire staple line as their safe guard. Is anyone familiar??

.also spoke with NUT..she is R.D. she said 1000-1300 cals. If wl stops then we decrease. In some ways this makes me nervous. Also under 40 carbs and 60-80g protein.

Im excited and afraid...just nuts right now. I start protein shakes tomorrow, clears Monday along with magnesium citrate.

Thanks,

Tia
Deckeriv
on 4/5/13 9:47 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

All NUTS want more calories than the 600-800 most people use during weight loss. I'm not saying they are wrong and at the end of the day you will probably still get there. Maybe.

My thought was that you have one golden year so why waste it? Get as much off as you can and adjust later. It's not like it's real hard to put on 10 pounds if you lose too much.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

tia47
on 4/5/13 5:01 pm - cleve, OH
One golden year???

Tia
justpete
on 4/5/13 9:47 am
VSG on 04/02/13

calories seem very high for starting out.  but then you didnt say how much you are looking to lose and activity level either. 

My doctor expained that bougie size really doesnt mean a darned thing by itself.  There are many ways of doing the surgery with different tools and sewing techiniques used. they vary on how tightly they suture around the bougie.  a tight 50f can result in the same sleeve size as a slack 34f depending on technique. just trust that your surgeon knows what is best with his technique

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

tia47
on 4/5/13 5:04 pm - cleve, OH
The bougie itself does not. I was reading one of the posts on here that it had to do with size, centimeters and double sewn. My question was basically on the peri strips since I hadn't heard of that.
Yes, calories seemed too high to me too. I'm not sure that is possible but I'm a bit confused about a couple things.

Tia
Calking
on 4/5/13 2:55 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

You didn't state what your nutritionist is wanting you to do correctly.  At least I hope you didn't.  It sounds like those numbers you are talking about are post op numbers but I would think that you meant to tell us that this is your goal pre op?

Post op that is too high and you will be very sad that you aren't doing as well as what you are reading in this forum.  My nutritionist had me on a two week pre op that was 1000 calories per day, 100 grams of carbs per day, and 100 grams of protein per day.

Post op my nutritionist and most people in this forum use the following numbers:

600-800 calories per day

40 or less grams of carbs per day

and about 80 grams of protein per day as a minimum.

Get in as much protein as possible to help your body keep muscle mass and help keep your hair from falling out.  60 grams isn't bad but really try to go higher if possible.  The first several weeks you will not get there based on what I have read on this forum ... I personally did but I think I am an exception to the rule.  It is possible that I could because I am a man and perhaps men just have an easier time getting protein in than do women.  I am not saying anything negative towards or about women but we both know that there are physical differences and it is within the realm of possibility that our journeys through this weight loss and maintenance would be different in subtle ways.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

tia47
on 4/5/13 4:57 pm - cleve, OH
Hi there,

The numbers I gave are post op. I was shocked at the calories myself. I know with having my band, unless I ate junk, those numbers weren't attainable. I'm relaying the info I was given and looking for feedback. However, I'm looking at the other side of the coin too...if u start nd stay at 600, u can't very well go down and still maintain health...can u lose 150 lbs without going lower calorie wise.

I'm not sleeved yet and will always b learning.

Tia.
Sleeveless
on 4/5/13 5:30 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Honestly, I had to work my way up to 600 calories. For several weeks after surgery I just couldn't have taken in that much.

I intend to get to my goal, so I am keeping my calories at about 600, carbs below 40, and proteins at about 90.

It seems like a lot of RDs encourage more calories, but it doesn't make sense to me, nor is it my doctor's and RD's plan. You could eat 1200 calories a day without a VSG. Why get the surgery just to eat that many calories?

I suggest you do your own research, then explain your reluctance to take in that many calories to your weight-loss team. Best of luck!

LilSleeved
on 4/5/13 8:34 pm, edited 4/5/13 8:37 pm

I am one who totally disagrees with the Ultra Low Calorie lifestyle of many WLS patients.  I am required to eat 1200 cals, 120 gms of protein and less than 40 gms of carbs.  My weight is melting off of me, I never feel faint as others do who eat such low calories and I also do not deal with the hypoglycemic episodes that others do.  I work nights and I have the energy to go to the gym every morning after a 12 hour shift - swim laps or do the stair master.  My hair is growing like crazy.  I am 6 months post op and I have not had any hair loss, my fingernails grow so fast that I have  to cut them weekly.  My manager at the hospital accused me of wearing artificial nails because my nails are so beautiful.  I am the healthiest I have ever been.

We are grown adults, we are working and thinking and eating less than 800 calories is just not healthy.  Your body needs food to function, to feed your cells.

So many Sleevers eat these ultra low calories and hit plateau after plateau.  There is no where to go.  Many hit their "set point" weight and can't lose more.  I'm talking in general, not everyone.  Then there is maintenance, what do you do then?  Eat 600 calories for the rest of your life?  Your body will adjust to those low calories and if you eat more, you will gain.  It's simple understanding.

My surgeon explains it this way, you need to live and you need to be able to eat healthy meals - meals that will not cause you to lose your hair or your healthy appearance.  Why starve yourself for the rest of your life? 

BTW, I am a Band to Sleeve revision, and I love love love my Sleeve. 

I think you're very fortunate to have met a surgeon who is using his brain and who is a critical thinker.   This is something that really bothers me about so many surgeons.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

vogue
on 4/6/13 1:36 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On April 6, 2013 at 3:34 AM Pacific Time, LilSleeved wrote:

I am one who totally disagrees with the Ultra Low Calorie lifestyle of many WLS patients.  I am required to eat 1200 cals, 120 gms of protein and less than 40 gms of carbs.  My weight is melting off of me, I never feel faint as others do who eat such low calories and I also do not deal with the hypoglycemic episodes that others do.  I work nights and I have the energy to go to the gym every morning after a 12 hour shift - swim laps or do the stair master.  My hair is growing like crazy.  I am 6 months post op and I have not had any hair loss, my fingernails grow so fast that I have  to cut them weekly.  My manager at the hospital accused me of wearing artificial nails because my nails are so beautiful.  I am the healthiest I have ever been.

We are grown adults, we are working and thinking and eating less than 800 calories is just not healthy.  Your body needs food to function, to feed your cells.

So many Sleevers eat these ultra low calories and hit plateau after plateau.  There is no where to go.  Many hit their "set point" weight and can't lose more.  I'm talking in general, not everyone.  Then there is maintenance, what do you do then?  Eat 600 calories for the rest of your life?  Your body will adjust to those low calories and if you eat more, you will gain.  It's simple understanding.

My surgeon explains it this way, you need to live and you need to be able to eat healthy meals - meals that will not cause you to lose your hair or your healthy appearance.  Why starve yourself for the rest of your life? 

BTW, I am a Band to Sleeve revision, and I love love love my Sleeve. 

I think you're very fortunate to have met a surgeon who is using his brain and who is a critical thinker.   This is something that really bothers me about so many surgeons.

well said!! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views