Undecided~

FAT2FIRM
on 4/22/13 11:46 pm

Hello Everyone..Hope you all are having a Great day!! I am Considering Revision From  Realize band and want to know the Success of Vertical Sleeve..from a Patients point of view..I am currently 5'2...206 lbs...Realize was placed 3 years ago this month, Had great success in the beginning... over the last year my weight has slowly creep back up. considering Vertical sleeve or RNY??  

Mj

kenwilliams
on 4/23/13 12:02 am

As a relatively new sleever (Jan 30) all I can say is that I am satisfied with my decision.  I have a medical background.  From everything that I have read, I think that the band will probably fade away as a "viable" choice.  There are powerful economic incentives for some people to try and keep the band in use.  Some surgeons (including mine) have already stopped doing the Lap Band.  

Having said that, I suggest that you read all that you can about both the sleeve and bypass.  Asking for opinions here is a good idea, but in the end the decision will be up to you.  The one thing that is common to all three WLS options is that they are only tools.  Motivation and compliance are still very much needed.  

I chose the sleeve over the bypass due to pre existing medical problems.  I didn't want to deal with the possible problems due to malabsorbtion (spelling?).  As far as I can see that is the only difference.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best as you continue your weight loss journey.

Seskio
on 4/23/13 1:12 am - Bremerton, WA
I am currently 1 year and almost 8 months post-op VSG. The biggest thing we have to remember with any form of wls is this is a tool. None of them will ever work if you don'****ch what you're eating and how often you eat. I have seen people with RNY, DS, Lap-Band and VSG all rebound and gain back weight because they figured since the weight was melting off they could eat junk and be lazy. And that will always lead to failure.

As for the positive side. I have lost 150 lbs and kept it off since surgery. Find the VSG to be very helpful when taking my vitamins as they don't get caught in a pouch. And we don't have many malapsorption issues so we don't have to take a truck load of vitamins daily.

I love it and wouldn't change it for the world. As long as you follow your wls diet and exercise plan you will be happy for life!
Jackie T.
on 4/23/13 2:07 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am 48, and 5 ft 6", I started this journey at 285lbs 4 months ago.  I am now down to 204.3.  That is over 80 lbs.  I agree with the above post, this is a tool just like any of the weight loss surgeries and you have to continue to work your tool even when you get to goal or you will more than likely put the weight back on.

I originally wanted the band but when I went to the seminar, I learned about the sleeve and have never looked back.  While I take vitamins every day, it is not because it will be life threatening for me if I don't.  I also did not want the RNY because I did not want my insides to be rerouted.

It will be very important for you to start a new healthier relationship with food doing whatever revision surgery you embark on because if you don't change your eating habits and life style then the weight will creep back on with this surgery also.

The sleeve was the best thing that I ever did for myself and now it is important that I keep working it for the rest of my life!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Marioksig
on 4/23/13 4:34 am - Santa Clara, CA

I cant tell you much about RNY - but the Sleeve has helped change my life -

thttp://www.sheddingounces.net

This is my blog that I have kept along the way.

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views