Will an ulcer and terrible acid reflux interfere or put off me being able to get sleeve asap?

vixkix69
on 6/9/13 6:37 am
Hi , I am a self payer. My first consultation is in about a month. Without insurance to slow me, do you think it feasible that I could get the surgery in before October? Also, will my ulcer and acid reflux interfere with or delay the surgery? I take nexium everyday and acid reducers several times a day. Thanks, Vickie
hollykim
on 6/9/13 6:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

self pay or not,I think most surgeons would want your ulcer healed before doing surgery. the reflux wouldn't stop the surgery.

GL

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/9/13 7:16 am
VSG on 10/09/12

It depends. I had an ulcer which was in the part of the stomach that was going to stay so my surgeon wanted it healed and me testing negative for H. pylori first. He said had the ulcer been in the fundus or the part that was going to be removed, he would not have been so keen to wait. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

VintageChick
on 6/9/13 8:24 am
I wanted sleeve. Acid and bile reflux prevented me from having it. I guess I shouldn't say prevented because both surgeons (I wanted a second opinion) I consulted said they would do the sleeve but both were very wary of my having good quality of life afterward because of reflux, and recommended RNY. It took me about a year to get my head around the fact that sleeve wasn't for me Just do your research and be certain you're making the decision you feel you can best live with for the rest of your life. That said, I believe there are surgeons out there who have better technique than others, and probably don't necessarily have a high rate of post-op sleeves with reflux. Do your research on that, too, if you really want the sleeve. Good luck.
tonnabug
on 6/9/13 8:34 am - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

I am 38 years old and I have had severe GERD since I was 12.... WAY before GERD was a household term.  I asked my doc about this everytime I saw him, and he continued to tell me it would be ok.  He puts all post-ops on Prilosec for 3 months minimum and goes from there.  I've had some issues, but I am hoping weight loss will help with the underlying issues anyway!!

Good luck!! 

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

aliekat
on 6/9/13 8:38 am

My doc told me that the sleeve creates a higher presure system so it tends to make GERD worse. that said she felt that it would be maneagable.

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/13 8:57 am

I am going to disagree with most of the above.  It completely and totally depends on why you have reflux.  If your reflux is from obesity or a hiatal hernia, no.  WLS will fix those issues.  If your reflux is not from something that can be fixed with WLS many surgeons will not sleeve you, only bypass.  Sleeves can potentially make your reflux worse.

Sandy M.
on 6/9/13 9:06 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

That's exactly what my surgeon told me too!  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Islandertra
on 6/9/13 1:33 pm - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

I had a bit of GERD before surgery, took a ppi every second day. After surgery was great and as soon as I got onto the mushy food my GERD is killer and have switch med's twice and will be trying a third tomorrow trying to find something to work. So I would definitely think twice about it .

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

wink77
on 6/9/13 2:19 pm - NE
My reflux is gone from what I can tell, I am 5 weeks post op and down 40 lbs. However, the big test for me will be pizza and spagetti sauce which is awhile down the road. I take Prilosec daily.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 379 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views