Fresno Sleevers/ALSA

Slimmerme2013
on 6/9/13 12:25 pm - CA
Hi, I am in the process of seeking approval for vsg surgery. I'm from Frsno/Clovis area and my surgeon is Dr. Kelvin Higa. I am 5'6 230 pounds and have high blood pressure and cholesterol. If anyone is in my area, had surgery at ALSA or has had surgery and had any words of wisdom for me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.
Daisys4me
on 6/9/13 1:19 pm
VSG on 06/25/13
I am in your area and scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Boone on June 25th. Since I haven't had the surgery yet, I have no words of wisdom for you yet. But there are plenty of people on this site that can fill you in. I hope all goes well with you getting the approval.

Shellie

Debra M.
on 6/9/13 4:36 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
I am not from your area, but am happy to share. I had my VSG on 3/26/13 and have lost 42 pounds. I sometimes think people get into a big hurry to get on solid food after surgery. I used the little incisions on my abdomen as a guide. I figured if my incisions were not completely healed then my stomach was not healed either, so I was gentle with the things I put into it. My advice; go slowly and don't be in a big hurry to start solid foods after surgery. Good luck and I hope to see you in the loser's circle soon.
Jackie T.
on 6/9/13 10:44 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Hi -  I am not from your area but I am 5'6" and started at 285lbs.  I am almost 6 months out and down 91 lbs.  I had high blood pressure and high chloesterol.  I also have sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap.  I went off my medications the day of surgery.  I had to go back on my high blood pressure medicine two weeks after surgery but at 4 months I was able to come back off and stay off.  I have been released by my heart doctor also.  I feel healthier than I have in years and years.

This journey is not easy but having surgery has helped me to reflect on myself and to help me understand why I do some of what I do.  I have not officially gone to a counselor and I know it would not be a bad idea but I have been getting support from these boards and am getting back involved in my local church.  This journey can be a roller coaster ride emotionally but in the long run it is all worth it!

If I were to give you any advice it would be to drink your water, eat your protein, exercise (yes walking is just fine), log your food and remember that you are worth this journey!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

jae_lynn79
on 8/5/13 2:56 am - valley springs, CA

Hi,

I had my surgery on July 8th 2013 by Dr. Higa at Fresno Heart & Surgical Center.  It was a great place! Very high tech and the staff was amazing!  I would bring your own jammies, blanket and pillow.  The more you can get out of bed and walk around the quicker they'll let you go home.  Once the catheter is removed make sure you go potty as often as possible!  So drink drink drink.  I was up and walking the same day and went home the following day in the afternoon. 

I was fortunate to have little to no pain and zero complications so far.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  I had lost 4 pounds from my pre-op to my apointment and 13 pounds from my op to my first follow up at 1 week after surgery.  I have my second follow up tomorrrow and I'm so anxious to se how much wieght I've lost.

They have already cut my blood pressure meds in HALF!!!!  I saw normal blood pressure readings for the first time in I don't kow how many years.  My knees don't hurt anymore and I don't get the headaches!  This was the best decision I've ever made.  I'm very happy!

Good luck and keep in touch!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views