High cholesterol 9 months after VSG

KnitsByMama
on 6/10/13 5:15 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I just had my yearly physical w/ my regular PCP and my cholesterol levels were much higher than all of my previous 6 years of results. Why did this happen? I follow my plan, I am very strict w/ my diet . I'm down 125lbs since October. Anyone else experience this? Is this a side effect from surgery? I've read that during rapid weight loss the fat that you burn goes into your blood stream as it burns so your cholesterol goes up. More fat in the blood = higher cholesterol. Once you stop loosing and maintain a healthy weight the fat is no longer being released into your bloodstream and levels return to "normal".

My PCP wants me to go on a cholesterol medication now because of these results. I'm not sure if I should go on it for now just to prevent any damage from having the high cholesterol and then go off it once I reach goal weight or what. Any insight would be appreciative. I had no co-morbidities before VSG so now being told I have high cholesterol is worrisome to me. 

Thanks. 

happyteacher
on 6/10/13 5:44 am

I had the same problem.  I had cholesterol preop just high enough to need smivistatin.  My levels got worse after surgery.  I hit goal last August, but at my physical (April I think?) my levels were still high despite being in maintenance for months.  My diet was excellent as I naturally avoid higher cholesterol foods.  (Sugar is my demon.)  

My pcp told me once that sometimes you go on meds, get the levels down, and then try going off and the levels stay down.  Walking around with high levels untreated is not a good idea long term.  Just me 2 cents.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KnitsByMama
on 6/10/13 6:12 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

You know what, you brought up a VERY good point. Pre-op I was a vegetarian. Since surgery I've started eating meat. That could be a good chunk of why my cholesterol has risen as well. Thanks for the help. 

cpphoto
on 6/10/13 6:59 am

I went on simvistatin to save money from Lipitor. My LDL shot up and my HDL went down. Back on the Lipitor and all is well. I wouldn't stop taking them. Cholesterol creates many issues, as you know. take it one day at a time and realize your body is going through a lot of changes.

kitsyb
on 6/10/13 5:56 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

They will level out.  I had mine checked at 6 months and it was 476!!!!!  My doc started me on pravistatin and I took for a little while bu****ched what I ate and tried to stay away from animal fats as much as I could.  Today, 16 months out and in maintenance the last 8 months, my cholesterol is 176.  STILL LOVING MY SLEEVE!

Keith L.
on 6/10/13 10:38 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Are you eating a lot of eggs and/ or seafood?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Jarisaunt
on 6/10/13 10:44 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

I have the same problem. I my LDLs are through the roof and my doctor started me on atorvastatin last week.

I would love to know the scientific reason why my cholesterol suddenly shot up to 371 when for years when I was morbidly obese and eating crap it was 180 or below.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

KnitsByMama
on 6/10/13 11:49 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

EXACTLY!!! 

mapietras
on 6/10/13 2:31 pm - MI

Okay...I haven't done the research, but I know the liver makes cholesterol as a response when something needs healing. In and of itself cholesterol isn't bad, we need it to strengthen our cellular walls, make hormones, utilize Vitamin D, to name a few uses. It is also important to know which kind of cholesterol is high, the HDL or LDL. The LDL are small, dense, sticky cholesterol, and known as the bad cholesterol. This is the cholesterol that sticks to our arteries. But if HDL is high, it goes along and cleans up the LDL. I melt one teaspoon of raw coconut oil in warm water and drink everyday. This has actually increased my HDL and my carotids are whistle clean even though my cholesterol is always high.

Here is a link that helps explain cholesterol.

http://real-agenda.com/2012/05/03/the-cholesterol-myth-that-is-harming-your-health/

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

MacMadame
on 6/10/13 3:57 pm - Northern, CA

Sometimes our cholesterol shoots up when we lose weight rapidly. If it's that, it's temporary. (It also jumps up when we breastfeed in some woman, btw.)

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active