gastric sleeve

Pam S.
on 7/24/13 12:56 pm - Rockford, IL
I posted a couple of days ago and i wanted to know if all u post ops ppl are happy withe decision of a sleeve? Are ur results good with the weight u have lost? Im postoperative since 2008 with r&y bypass went from a size 18/20 to 0/3. My friend is looking into a sleeve this is why I'm asking could her results be like mine with just cutting the stomach?

Tina M.
on 7/24/13 1:20 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

My friend had RNY 10 years ago & her weight loss has been similar to yours... I am considering the sleeve & I went to my Dr's mandatory seminar. He explained that in his experience, the weight loss with the sleeve is similar to that in patients that had the RNY. 

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Calking
on 7/24/13 2:14 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Now I am only 14 months post op but lost 95 pounds within 5 months post op and that was beyond my goal ... since then while in maintenance I have lost another 5 pounds.  

From what I have been told the weight loss is very similar between these two surgeries.  Also what I have heard is that long term the sleeve has shown results of less regain than the RNY.  But you have to take that into perspective as you have more than 40 years of RNY surgeries versus the approximately 10 years of VSG.  Now I now the number of years I posted are off by some but the bottom line is that the RNY has been around quite a bit longer.  I would think that could skew the data somewhat.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/13 6:18 pm

Absolutely. I lost all I wanted, met my doctor's goals, etc.... I was at a support group meeting tonight and the weight lost ranges there were from 90 pounds to 350 pounds lost - all sleeve patients! Pretty good stats, if you ask me.

Pam S.
on 7/24/13 6:57 pm - Rockford, IL
Thank u for ur replies......sounds to me the sleeve is just as good as rny. This info helps

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views