No NSAIDS??? and gallbadder question.

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/13 1:00 am
So I had my final pre op appointment with one ofthe nurses. She told me I can never take NSAIDS again though I am getting the sleeve. Is she misinformed? Also they are giving me Actigall for 6 months since I still have my gallbladder. I know some people needed theirs taken out since surgery. Has anyone had good results with using that?
Chrissy W.
on 7/30/13 1:18 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

We can take NSAIDs. My surgeon is having me wait 6 weeks before taking any to make sure the incision has time to heal. RNY patients can't take them since they no longer have a natural stomach with digestive juices and would therefore run the risk of ulcers. We have our entire digestive system intact and can break down meds in the stomach. That person was misinformed. I chose the sleeve specifically because I didn't want to be restricted on medications later in life. 

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Nikkal
on 7/30/13 1:18 am
VSG on 07/18/13
Yes, she's misinformed. For many of us NSAIDs were a key factor in choosing the sleeve.

As long as you're also taking a PPI, daily NSAIDs are possible. In fact, my surgeon cleared me to go back on mine (Celebrex, a bit less irritating than other NSAIDs) a week or so after surgery - but I've been holding off for two (I'll start back when I start purees this week).

Actigall is a common preventative after WLS - rapid weight loss increases the likelihood of gallstones. It's not standard, and not all surgeons do it, but enough do that it's not unusual.
Jackie T.
on 7/30/13 1:20 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I would talk to your doctor about the NSAIDS.  My surgeon has said that it is okay after 3 months.  Our risk of an ulcer is the same as it was prior to surgery.  Again every doctor's office is different and there are many different opinions.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

grayC
on 7/30/13 1:29 am
VSG on 05/01/13
YES VERY MISINFORMED!!
I did the sleeve because I must at times take Advil/aleve for my back or a flare up of tendonitis...
Then again SHE may want it this way but you CAN take them if needed..I think my DR wanted me at least a month out before I took them..

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/13 1:42 am
Yea she was the nurse not my Dr. And I was like are you sure about that because that's only supposed to be with. RNY which like most of you are the reason I choose the sleeve. She said the Dr doesn't give ppi's. I'm not too sure about that either. But ill just talk to her either before surgery or after. If not ill have my pcp put me on a ppi. Thank you all for all your replies.
vogue
on 7/30/13 2:09 am
VSG on 08/30/12
I didnt take Actigall... When I read the side effects and other things about it I didnt think it was worth the risk..

That said, I am having my gall bladder removed in 2 weeks ( unsure if it is related or not..I have no gall stones or sludge, just pain)
I have no regrets , wouldnt take Actigall if given a 2nd chance...
mickeymantle
on 7/30/13 2:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

many times the information sheets they have or the info they give you is used for both the  rny and the sleeve, my book lists them together but makes exceptions when there is a difference

mine says no nsaid for 2 months and im taking Actigall for 6 months my surgeon   does not beleave in taking out a health gallbaladder

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

vogue
on 7/30/13 2:35 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On July 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM Pacific Time, mickeymantle wrote:

many times the information sheets they have or the info they give you is used for both the  rny and the sleeve, my book lists them together but makes exceptions when there is a difference

mine says no nsaid for 2 months and im taking Actigall for 6 months my surgeon   does not beleave in taking out a health gallbaladder

neither does mine, my gall bladder isnt healthy...we just arent sure what the problem is... I have no stones or sludge... but it is painful to touch...it was very swollen & full of fluid a few weeks ago... swelling down this week but still painful after EVERYTHING I eat or drink, even water....
another Dr suspects a a blocked duct...
Actigall is supposed to help prevent gall stones... so the thought is my not taking it wouldnt have prevented my current problem.
jenneferlm
on 7/30/13 3:44 am - TX
VSG on 09/21/12

My surgeon told me no NSAIDS at all....ever.  He told me they can cause ulcers in any stomach whether you have been sleeved or not and since my stomach is so small to not run the risk. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views