8 more days till surgery...

Donamay247
on 8/3/13 9:45 am - NY

Here I am with only eight days to go before surgery and struggling with food.  This has been the toughest week of all the past six months.  My surgeon did not put me on a special pre-op diet but did mention something like "try to keep losing" or maybe it was try to not gain".   I feel like I'm in a "last meal" mindset mess.  I'm not feeling real confident right now.  Does this sound familiar to anyone else's experience?  

Mochalocks12
on 8/3/13 9:55 am - Canada

I'm 8 days to go too...I've been on liquid optifast diet for 13 days now with 8 to go! It totally sucks! It's hard not having solid food.... But no pain no gain( or loose) but this too shall pass.....the best of luck with your surgery....

Referral July 30, 2013..VSG BY Dr. Lloyd Smith Aug 12, 2013.  Pre OPTI weight: 350. Sw331 CW190

Donamay247
on 8/3/13 10:06 am - NY

Thanks and good luck to you too.  I think I'm going to stick with protein shakes for the next week.  

Member Services
on 8/3/13 10:38 am - Irvine, CA

Best wished to both of you.   You are on your way!!!  

Congratulations, we can't wait to hear from you post-op.

Calking
on 8/3/13 11:11 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Actually I think perhaps a modified version of what I had for my pre op plan could work for you.  I was on an Optifast 800 diet which was basically breakfast, lunch, and dinner were protein shakes.  There was a snack in between each meal which was a protein bar.  My plan gave me 1000 calories per day with about 100 carbs for that day.  Optifast is an expensive setup and you can very closely mimic it with alternative options.  I was also allowed sugar free jello, celery, or cucumbers if I really needed them to get by with.

So here is what I would do.  At Walmart you can buy Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate (Vanilla Creme is the only flavor) and it sells for about $22 and will give you about 30 servings.  There are other Body Fortress products that are Whey Protein Concentrate for about $16 but these are a little higher in calories and while fine for you pre op would be bad for you post op.  Mix this with either 2% or skim milk, or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  (Use about 10 oz. of milk)

Go to a local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and buy Quest Bars.  Some Quest bars have sugar alcohols and some don't.  Sugar alcohols can have a laxative effect.  Erythritol seems to not be as bas as Maltitol or Sorbital.  I like the new chocolate chip cookie dough, the chocolate brownie, the vanilla almond crunch, peanut butter supreme, and a couple others.

So what my plan was is easy to follow.

Protein Shake ... Protein Bar ... Protein Shake .... Protein Bar ..... Protein Shake

Plan on putting 3 to 3 1/2 hours between each.  If you can last a little longer then go for it.  Doing this I lost about 11 pounds in one week.  

Doing this also helps shrink your liver and makes it less fatty.  This is important as the liver sits on top of the stomach and the surgeon has to go around the liver to get to the stomach.  So if you are making the liver smaller the surgeon could have an easier time getting to your stomach and things could potentially go a little bit smoother.  

If you choose to do this for a week prior to surgery .... basically starting tomorrow ... and you are on any diabetes medications you should talk with your primary care physician that put you on those meds and inform him/her that you will be getting about 100 carbs a day with about 1000 calories.  The doctor may have you decrease your dosage(s) to compensate for your decreased carb intake.  I had to do that as my blood sugar got crazy and would drop so low as to make me light headed.  I was off all blood pressure meds and diabetes meds and cholesterol meds pre op being on this plan and have never had the need to resume any meds and I am 14 months post op now.

Good luck and I hope some of these thougths will help.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Joy M.
on 8/3/13 1:03 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm a few days 3 days actually and have struggled the whole time! A little rice here an extra whole wheat bread there. It's hard!!! I had a 6 inch sub today which the veggies and meat was ok for my "one meal a day" but the 2 top and bottom bread was over my one allotted. I had the mindset I won't get to eat like this again so cheers. It's z total mind game with urself! Good luck sleeve buddy.

claimmaster
on 8/3/13 10:34 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I was really trying to eat well the few months before surgery, but it was indeed hard.  Hell, that's the reason we need the surgery in the first place!  I'd eat really, really well for a while, then hit the Chinese buffet and stuff myself.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You're going through a very emotional time, and will after the surgery, too.  Only after the surgery you won't have the option (or the desire) of overeating like you did before.  You'll do fine.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

debk21
on 8/3/13 10:58 pm - Mansfield, TX

I know it's frustrating...just wanted to send you a (((hug))) and tell you that this too, shall pass.  You'll be on the other side of this soon so keep your eye on the prize....we understand.

Good Luck!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views