could use some encouragement

band2sleeverevision
on 8/12/13 9:00 am
VSG on 02/25/13

You're OK, you haven't hurt anything. 

You've had something bad happen so it's time to take care of you in ways that help you, not hurt you.  Bad eating habits hurt you.

A book I really found helpful was 50 ways to soothe yourself without food by Susan Albers.  Her website is eatingmindfully.com

Take time to mourn your little pug friend....

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/12/13 9:10 am
Thank you
serenity1959
on 8/12/13 10:02 am
VSG on 08/05/13

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.   I am only a week out, so don't really have any wealth of experience.   However, forgive yourself, recommit, plan your meals, and think of something nice to do for yourself.   Losing a pet is hard.

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/12/13 10:40 am
Thank you
Miss150
on 8/12/13 10:17 am

Bless your heart, hon.  Loosing a loved pet had got to be a sad thing.   Some wise words I heard once a long time ago, it seems, and maybe to think about tne next time those seemingly overwhelming things happen in our lives ( and they will happen now and again) is:  " If it isn't hunger, food won't fix it".  Numb it- yes, distract us- maybe for a while, but help solve the issue?  NEVER!  Only make it worse and add to our unhappiness and stress later.  Sometimes, we just need to deal with the pain- and sometimes the victory is in just not adding any harm or extra grief in the process.  It takes dedication and courage to climb back upon the horse when you've been thrown, and you ARE showing great courage here.  Pat yourself on the back, be gentle to your self, and walk in health today.  Bonnie.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/12/13 10:41 am
Thank you
rhearob
on 8/12/13 10:45 am - TN

Are you going to group?  You need to be.  If your surgeon doesn't have a group try OA.  OH is good, the VSG board better than most, but there really is no substitute for being in people on the same journey you are.  You can share in group, hear other peoples experiences.  Just being there helps even if you never say a word.

I will offer this:  Before you put anything in your mouth at this point STOP.  STOP and FEEL.  What are you really feeling?  What are you feeling physically?  What are you feeling emotionally?  Be completely honest with yourself.  

Forget self discipline and will power.  Those are short term fixes to get you over little humps.  The only way to completely get a handle on compulsive eating is to understand your emotional connection to the act of eating and then developing tools and strategies that help you deal with those feelings.

Look up some of my previous posts on the CALM technique.

At 11 weeks you did not stretch out your sleeve.

Finally, do not give in to feeling guilty or bad about yourself for any slip up.  Those emotions are poison and only destroy our ability to see everything thats right.  The only thing a bad choice represents or means is that you made - PAST TENSE - a bad choice.  Its really just an opportunity to make a better choice the next time.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/12/13 11:20 am
Thank you
VSG on 06/12/13
So sorry for your loss. But, you're on a good path now. Get back on the horse, girl, and ride!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/12/13 1:10 pm
Thank you
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views