Post-op Liquid Diet

Stephanie R.
on 9/16/13 11:35 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
I'm feeling a little bitter...indulge me a moment.

Did anyone else have to do liquids for 4 weeks post-op? (2 weeks clear liquids and skim milk, and 2 weeks full liquids)

I realize in the big scheme of things, this will seem like nothing...but right now, it seems so far away until real food!

My WLS and Plastic Surgery Journey Page: Stephanie's Journey 

Sleeve: 9/11/13  LBL, TL, BL/BA: 12/16/14

khilde101
on 9/16/13 11:39 am
VSG on 09/10/13
My surgery was last Tuesday and I have 3 weeks of liquids - 1 week of clear and 2 weeks of full liquids. It does suck but I'm trying to keep the end goal in mind.

Good luck!

shineysaphire
on 9/16/13 11:53 am

My surgery is the 19th and I'm suppose to do 1 week clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids and then I think it's another week or 2 of only "mushy" foods.

Scott S.
on 9/16/13 12:35 pm - TX
I was 12 days of liquids and then onto soft foods. But even the, it was still 2 shakes a day for a while.

VSG: 8/8/13 

Jessica77
on 9/16/13 12:35 pm - CA

My Dr had me do 1 week of full liquids then put me on a soft/mushy diet. I'll be on the soft diet til my 1 month check-up then my diet will advance slightly.

sleeved 9/3/13

jubigirl
on 9/16/13 1:01 pm
VSG on 08/26/13
I had 3 weeks of liquids. Close to the end of week 3 I ate some potato and refried beans. I wanted salty! One or two nibbles curbed my cravings.

Kelli
Baseballmomof4
on 9/17/13 2:58 am - Roswell, GA
VSG on 07/31/13

We share the same diet I'm 6 1/2 weeks out. The liquid part sounded the worst till I found the Atkins shakes many flavors and filled me up.  I also drank every soup there is in Atlanta. If you want some suggestion inbox me and we can talk.  It will get better. I am now on soft foods but don't buy a meal when I go out because I eat two bites and I'm full.  It is all worth it in the end. 

KrisRC
on 9/17/13 11:35 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

I had 2 days of clear liquids followed by two days of full liquids and now what they call semi-liquid (cottage cheese, pudding, etc.) Semi-liquid is for two weeks, and on day 14 you start purees (baby food). That's for two weeks, then soft foods (anything you can cut with a fork and don't need a knife for). That's for another two weeks, then all solid foods introducing one at a time to see what you can tolerate.

I would be EXTREMELY BITTER if I had 4 weeks of liquids. I could barely get through two. 

Heather_Austin
on 9/18/13 2:33 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I had to do 3-weeks of protein shakes, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles and broth and then the soft diet, which I just started for 3-weeks.  I did have cottage cheese and a little yogurt after 2-weeks (instead of 3), which I told my NUT about.  I'm still on 2 protein drinks a day but eating soft food which means I pretty much eat 3 oz of Salmon, a little bit of soft veggies and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or 2 string cheese each day in addition to the shakes.  That's all I can manage.

The protein shakes were really hard for me after about a week, which is where you are out now.  I think it's because that is when I started feeling pretty normal and went back to work and was just sick of them.  That second week was hard but I'm fine now.  Hang in there.

Heather - Austin, TX

pineview01
on 9/18/13 3:33 pm - Davison, MI

You make me thankful for my diet.  Right after the leak test the next day we are put on full liquid diet, even if it is optifast.  As soon as I got home I could switch to the protein shakes of my choice.  We could also have strained creamed soup and thin instant hot cereal.  Than two weeks out onto mushies. Keep strong this will soon pass.

Our center does three leak test and have lower than average leak rates due to this.  I am sure this is one reason we don't have to do the long clear liquid diet.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views