Bougie size?

Curves-r-us
on 11/24/13 2:06 am

Hi to all!

does anyone out there have a 60F bougie? My surgeon only does 60. It sems quite a bit bigger than what i've seen on this forum. Any feedback or wisdom to share?

stephanieplum
on 11/24/13 2:43 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Personally, I would find another surgeon.  

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 4:15 am, edited 11/24/13 4:16 am

I would look elsewhere, honestly. Here's why:

In my opinion final capacity is what is most important. Let's say that I had a two ounce capacity out of the gate (about a 1/4 by volume). According to the research I have read I can expect my sleeve to increase about 4 times it's original size by the time it is fully healed and mature (say 18  months to 2 years post op). That means my 2 oz sleeve will have a final capacity of about 8 ounces. A 3 oz sleeve out of the gate will mature to about a 12 oz capacity, and so on. So while there doesn't seem to be much difference early out between 2, 3 or 4 oz initially, there is a big difference between a sleeve that will hold 8 oz and one that will hold 16 oz.

I have an acquaintance that has a rather large sleeve compared to most. Frankly, it's huge and she has to work really hard to maintain her loss. She can eat a lot more than I can and that makes maintenance tough.

I'm usually not a big believer in bougie size makes so much of a difference because I believe surgical technique has a greater impact, but in this case I would caution you do find out what your surgeon's success rate is and what he considers success. 50% EWL would not have equated to success to me. I wanted to lose 100% of my weight. What is your goal and does it match your surgeon's?

happyteacher
on 11/24/13 6:39 am

I am going to assume you have not been around long, given the nature of the question.  It is a hot topic on these parts.  You should know up front that I am a strong defender of reaching a goal with a larger sized bougie.  I am somewhere in the 40's and that has plenty of restriction to get the job done.  So, with that said- even I would not elect to have a 60 done.  There is an undisputable difference in your final capacity.  It is not as large as what some on this site would make it out to be when comparing say a 32 to a 40, but there is a difference.  I am highly successful with my current size, but if my restriction allowed for say 30% more capacity at one sitting, I would sincerely begin to doubt my long term outlook.  I am not "cured" of overeating, although my habits are drastically improved.  I think that if I had that much more capacity I would be dealing with more hunger, and less satiety overall- and that would have led to possibly not making goal and likely not maintaining goal.  Right now I consider myself to be at the perfect capacity- able to eat a small and somewhat normal adult meal, but not a average to large meal for certain.  If I had more restriction then eating out, with colleagues, etc would be very uncomfortable for me (note many would not have issue with this).  I am not saying it is not entirely possible mind you.  But if it were me, I would absolutely find another surgeon- don't even try to make your current one attempt a size smaller than what he or she has experience/comfort with.  Your health depends on that!

And remember- this is coming from the staunchest defender of a larger bougie size on the board. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 7:52 am

60F is too big.  The whole point of surgery is to get a tool that will help you maintain your weight loss.  The weight loss can and almost always will happen with any size sleeve if you put in the effort.  Most of us can even lose weight without surgery, it is really maintenance that this is all about.  If your capacity is much bigger, your tool is not nearly as helpful.  You will have more hunger, you will have less restriction and in many cases you might be more likely to regain,  I really don't know any other surgeons that use such a large boughie size now.  It is of course your choice, but mine would be to go elsewhere.

psis
on 11/24/13 7:54 am

I agree with stephanieplum. look for a new surgeon.  60 is what they used when they first started doing the VSG.  check out you tube endobariatrics.com. there is a topic about bougie size by Dr. Alvarez. It is very informative

mickeymantle
on 11/24/13 7:55 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

60 f are usually used for ds not vsg . most surgeons use a 32f- 26f

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Curves-r-us
on 11/24/13 7:02 pm

Thanks for your info, everyone.  I will have my official orientation meeting this week.  I know for a fact that he uses 60 for DS, but I got some info from someone who had a sleeve done with him a couple of weeks ago and supposedly it was also 60.  Mind you, I don't know her specifics, etc. Hopefully, he is flexible.  If not, there is one other surgeon on the team and I'd have to find out about what size he uses. By the way, I have 100 lbs to lose, I'm 230lbs, but as per past experience, I felt and looked great for the 5 minutes i was 140 almost 20 years ago! enlightened

I have read up on the bougie sizes and the differences in opinion, but my main concern was for long term.  As you all confirmed my gut feeling, long term may be more of a challenge.  

Thanks again for your input!

frisco
on 11/24/13 11:51 pm

Where are all the people that say Bougie size and capacity makes no difference ???????

Jack squat, miniscule difference ?????

Come on..... speak up !!!!!

Show the pen photo.......

Why are you quiet now ???

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

sarapilar
on 11/25/13 4:12 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I would not got to a surgeon who does less than a 34 F.  And find one who 'makes a tight Sleeve", pulls it and sews it tight.  That is the only way this thing really works for me, is that I have excellent restriction.  it is a total waste of a surgery if you go bigger than that, in my opinion.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 411 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views